Sore throat

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ebjazz

Sore throat

Post by ebjazz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi; I use a Resmed full face mask. I have apnea and RBD so I talk and my mouth is open sometimes so I get a sore throat and dry mouth. I've tried the headstrap but it doesn't help because my mouth isn't just hanging open, I physically open it while sleeping due to RBD. I've also turned the humidity all the way up but no help.
Is there anything else I can do? Is it possible my CPAP isn't working properly? Is there a way to test it and the humidifier?

Thanks!!~

Eb

Julie

Re: Sore throat

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:31 am

Which masks soecifically? What machine - model no. etc. There are many ways to keep your mouth closed but more info would help to figure out which.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 am

Some people just get dry mouth more than others no matter what the humidity setting.
It's the mouth opening and breathing that dries the mouth out (assuming that medications that might dry out the mouth or other health conditions aren't the culprit) and these humidifiers were designed to help add moisture to the nasal cavity and not the oral cavity.
The nasal cavity is much small...easier to add more moisture to a smaller cavity.

Using a full face mask doesn't guarantee no dry mouth.
It does prevent loss of therapy pressure out the mouth though.

Lots of full face mask users have dry mouth and end up having to use one of those products designed to add moisture to the mouth...lots of them out there and people just keep trying something until they find something that works.

As to the question is your humidifier working...probably it is...is the water level going down each night?
If you are using max humidity setting...there should be some change in the water level each night and if there is a change..it's working.

What model machine are you using? Brand and model please...because I know of one brand and model where there's a little known setting available to increase the humidity to even more than people realize.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ebjazz

Post by ebjazz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks. I have a Resmed machine S9 appears to be the model#.
So what products help dry mouth?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Sorry...the brand that has a little known alternate humidity setting to crank up the humidity delivered is Respironics.

About the best you can do with a Resmed machine is use a heated hose and maximum humidity setting with the heated hose.
It will let you get just a little more with the heated hose than with the non heated hose.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.