New to Forum but not CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rubyslipperss

New to Forum but not CPAP

Post by Rubyslipperss » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea in 2006 and have used a CPAP regularly since then. I got my most recent machine in 2011. About 6 weeks ago, it died. My sleep clinic doesn’t accept my insurance so I had to use my PC doctor to get a new one. Thanks to a unbelievably inefficient office staff, it has taken me this long to get all the documentation done. But, Monday they will deliver my new machine to me! I am pretty sure it will be the ResMed AirSense 10.
I am 70 years old am very glad they will bring the machine to me. He will bring out some masks for me to choose from. I need a full face mask since I breathe through my mouth at night. My old mask literally made a callous where the frame rested on my forehead! I can only sleep on my left side and only move when I get up during the night to use the bathroom.

I told the tech coming out how I sleep and asked him about a hybrid mask. I specifically asked about the new DreamWear FFM. He told me they don’t work. No explanation as to why. I have a large head/face so I don’t think the mask being too big even with a small will be an issue.

So, now I will have to decide if I should try the DreamWear or stay with a traditional mask. I am excited about the new machine but much less so about choosing a new mask. I am not sure if exchanging it will be possible. What if I hate what I choose?! The new CPAP will be great since my old one from 2011 is from the dark ages. And I know I don’t want a mask like my old one. Newer ones should be more comfortable I hope!

I will update my post Monday and let you know what I decided.

Thanks for letting me join the Forum.

Rubyslipperss

Sheriff Buford

Re: New to Forum but not CPAP

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:53 am

Get the mask you want. Just know that finding the right one, or, one that you can successfully wear is a journey of trial and error. I can be successful with a mask and you may not be able to stand it. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sheriff

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 am

The "tech" didn't want to give you the Dreamwear FF mask because it is one of the more expensive masks and they don't make much money when they get reimbursed from Medicare. They will most likely come out with one of the less expensive models. If you don't like the mask they bring out DON'T ACCEPT IT Hopefully he will bring out several.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 am

Those masks do work and quite successfully for some people.
Just because one person may not like something doesn't mean that all people will feel the same way.

Push back and insist they let you try what you want to try.
I assume you have Medicare if you are 70 years old....report them to Medicare for not getting you what you want.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:48 am

You can try the DW on your own by paying a small fee to Cpap.com who'll let you try it (and others) for a few weeks.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:00 am

Actually, I put a piece of terrycloth between my forehead and the plastic mask piece. If the mask you're using is otherwise a good fit, you might want to try that.

You can use a piece of an old towel or a juvenile size sock.

Rubyslipperss

Post by Rubyslipperss » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks for the replies! Only 2 more nights w/o a CPAP. Since I have been without a machine for over 6 weeks, I am assuming it will be like starting over. Please tell me i am wrong! LOL

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:22 am

6 weeks without CPAP is quite a while. I wish you had joined here back then. Some people here, but not me, have backup or other spare machines. I have heard of them lending them, usually for no or little charge.

I have only been on CPAP a little over a year so I cannot answer your question.

Welcome to CPAPTalk.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Rubyslipperss

Post by Rubyslipperss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 am
Those masks do work and quite successfully for some people.
Just because one person may not like something doesn't mean that all people will feel the same way.

Push back and insist they let you try what you want to try.
I assume you have Medicare if you are 70 years old....report them to Medicare for not getting you what you want.
Yes, I am on Medicare and also have a supplemental insurance policy through AARP. The supplemental insurance is expensive but it covers everything Medicare does (Pays the difference). Well worth the cost of the premium you have chronic health problems.

If I complain to Medicare, will they actually do something?

Rubyslipperss

Post by Rubyslipperss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:57 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:22 am
6 weeks without CPAP is quite a while. I wish you had joined here back then. Some people here, but not me, have backup or other spare machines. I have heard of them lending them, usually for no or little charge.

I have only been on CPAP a little over a year so I cannot answer your question.

Welcome to CPAPTalk.
Yes, I wish I had known that. These last couple of months have been miserable and I don’t know if I feel worse physically or mentally. I have been on therapy for so many years I didn’t think I needed “support “. Then I saw the changes in the machines and masks and realized I did!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Rubyslipperss wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:51 pm
That I don't know because DME suppliers aren't required by law to stock all the masks out there. Meaning Medicare can't force a DME to sell something if they don't want to stock it.
The reason they probably don't want to stock it is they don't like what Medicare pays for it vs their wholesale cost. They want a larger profit margin.
So they discourage the product in an effort to not be in a position to really admit why they don't promote the mask or sell it or whatever.

Now I have heard of people complaining to Medicare...and Medicare slapped the DME's hands and then the DME special ordered a mask they didn't normally keep in stock. I would say that if they want to keep Medicare patients (which is probably a sizable chunk of their business) they might want to keep on the good side of Medicare.

You already know what the result is if you don't speak up...you don't get what you want.
If it were me...I would be squawking to Medicare and at the same time shopping for a DME that accepts Medicare in my area that is happy to supply a mask that I want without throwing up road blocks.
And tell this DME that they either supply the mask that I want to try or I will take my business elsewhere...

You may or may not like the new mask but it's your decision to make and not theirs. It's your Medicare premium and your supplement dollars and not theirs. Their job is to supply you with what you request and if they don't want to do their job then take your dollars elsewhere.
And that's what I would tell them if it were me. :lol:
And I would still report them to Medicare no matter what...just because it might cause them some grief and they pissed me off.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rubyslipperss

Post by Rubyslipperss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:03 pm
Rubyslipperss wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:51 pm
That I don't know because DME suppliers aren't required by law to stock all the masks out there. Meaning Medicare can't force a DME to sell something if they don't want to stock it.
The reason they probably don't want to stock it is they don't like what Medicare pays for it vs their wholesale cost. They want a larger profit margin.
So they discourage the product in an effort to not be in a position to really admit why they don't promote the mask or sell it or whatever.

Now I have heard of people complaining to Medicare...and Medicare slapped the DME's hands and then the DME special ordered a mask they didn't normally keep in stock. I would say that if they want to keep Medicare patients (which is probably a sizable chunk of their business) they might want to keep on the good side of Medicare.

You already know what the result is if you don't speak up...you don't get what you want.
If it were me...I would be squawking to Medicare and at the same time shopping for a DME that accepts Medicare in my area that is happy to supply a mask that I want without throwing up road blocks.
And tell this DME that they either supply the mask that I want to try or I will take my business elsewhere...

You may or may not like the new mask but it's your decision to make and not theirs. It's your Medicare premium and your supplement dollars and not theirs. Their job is to supply you with what you request and if they don't want to do their job then take your dollars elsewhere.
And that's what I would tell them if it were me. :lol:
And I would still report them to Medicare no matter what...just because it might cause them some grief and they pissed me off.
What happened to the days of people in the health care field putting the patient first!?!? I worked in Retail for 26 years (a big cause of the problems with my arthritic knees) and learned quickly that if the customer didn’t come first, they would shop elsewhere. Even my doctor who got the CPAP for me obviously didn’t put my welfare first since it took me nearly 2 months to get the correct paperwork submitted! I got to the point that I started bugging the crap out of them on a daily basis before they put forth the effort to get it done correctly. And my husband finally was able to convince me to let HIM bug the doctor too. It worked but I wish we hadn’t have had to resort to those tactics.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:38 pm

I hear you...and you just explained why so many of the forum members here have opted to say "screw the doctor and DME" and decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just buy their stuff on their own.
Of course not everyone has the means to be able to afford this stuff without insurance chipping in their portion and people shouldn't have to make that choice...but it sometimes happens.

The days of putting the patient in front of the buck....long gone I am afraid.
The doctor...he doesn't do any paperwork...it's his office staff that does all that stuff and he just signs off on it.
His office staff probably was the one that dropped the ball. They didn't care and he didn't know or didn't care that they weren't doing their job well.