Any ideas on what's going on

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Any ideas on what's going on

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:47 am

How to zip/compress a SD card.

Go to the drive letter where the SD card is sitting and right click mouse and choose compress/zip.

Don't try to go into the SD card itself and do it. You end up with a mess of stuff that is too hard to reconstruct the SD card contents in the correct order the software looks for.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Pugsy,
I don't have that option when I right-click the drive. Any other suggestions? Nevermind had a moron moment.

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:02 pm

PaleRider,
File is uploaded. Thanks in advance.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 pm

Well, this is interesting..

The second strip chart (flow rate) is during the calmer section that you were asking about, it looks like perfectly normal sleep breathing. The third strip chart (flow rate-1) is from a little earlier, where things were rougher... I'm not sure what that is...

I have a vague memory of someone, Jay Aitchsee, or JNK... talking about that sawtooth pattern... best I remember, the supposition is that it's influenced by your heartbeat, and if you count the serrations, it seems to come out somewhere in the 80's...

I don't think that this suggestion will have anything to do with that strangeness, but would you be willing to try auto, with a minimum of your current pressure, and a max of a couple cm more?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:23 am

palerider wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 pm
. . . I have a vague memory of someone, Jay Aitchsee, or JNK... talking about that sawtooth pattern . . .
My understanding is that "saw-tooth sign" may be cardiac artifact or may be neuro-muscular, but sometimes the fatty-tissue flutter indicative of simple airway narrowing can show up as oddly regular that way, especially when there is a deep polyp that vibrates at a certain upper airway pressure like a mini snore. It can sometimes be worth a quick scope and a full lung evaluation just to rule out anything more sinister/malignant at play. But I ain't no pro, and I am not skilled at all at reading squigglies, myself. So, no, I don't think you are remembering anything that I ever posted. Musta been someone else.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 am

jnk... wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:23 am
palerider wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 pm
. . . I have a vague memory of someone, Jay Aitchsee, or JNK... talking about that sawtooth pattern . . .
My understanding is that "saw-tooth sign" may be cardiac artifact or may be neuro-muscular, but sometimes the fatty-tissue flutter indicative of simple airway narrowing can show up as oddly regular that way, especially when there is a deep polyp that vibrates at a certain upper airway pressure like a mini snore. It can sometimes be worth a quick scope and a full lung evaluation just to rule out anything more sinister/malignant at play. But I ain't no pro, and I am not skilled at all at reading squigglies, myself. So, no, I don't think you are remembering anything that I ever posted. Musta been someone else.
Thanks for taking a peek. The fact that it's present on inhalation and exhalation .... and neutral flow... makes me think it's not snore like... but, that's just a wild guess.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:02 am

Not just a SleepyHead software filter issue is it?
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 am

jnk... wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:02 am
I don't..... think so... the strange thing is that he was having that funny waveform, then there was a brief period of disturbed breathing, which looks like a repositioning, and then there was that normal waveform for a while. The normal is the period that Dave was asking about in the original post... then another (supposed) repositioning, and back to the jagged waveform.

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:21 am

The cardiac thing sounds probable. I have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (usually I can feel it and it lasts for 8-72hrs). I wonder if I may be having a "micro" episode. I will ask Dr when I get my pacer read in May. In the meantime, I will try APAP mode at 14-17 cm. Thanks for you analysis and suggestions.
RD

Edit: I took a closer look at zoomed in flow rate data. The saw tooth pattern is consistent across all the data I have, so I think that rules out my original thought.
Last edited by RiverDave on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 am

jnk... wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:02 am
I don't think so but I think I would be running it through ResScan to be sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:13 am

I think some RM data may be prefiltered, so if SH refilters it . . .

But that's waaay over my head and well out of my wheelhouse.

And I have absolutely zero knowledge of how an active pacemaker might affect flow tracings.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:21 am

jnk... wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:13 am
I think some RM data may be prefiltered, so if SH refilters it . . .

But that's waaay over my head and well out of my wheelhouse.
Way over my wheelhouse too. I have seen it before and I think I saw it confirmed in ResScan and I think that Dave (aka, muffy and his other aliases) said it was the machine picking up something to do with the heart pulse echo thing...again I didn't pay an enormous amount of attention to the explanation because it was so far over my head and I had no urgent or desire to make the effort to understand. I don't remember exactly what it was and didn't understand it anyway.

First step would be to confirm if it is SH filter or the machine and that means ResScan.
Then decide if it was worth more investigation and worrying about...if it shows up on ResScan.
Or at least that is what I would do if it were my data.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:25 am

I hear ya. My ears tend to glaze over whenever I hear words like "ballistocardiographic artifact."
In such cases, intra- and extra-thoracic mechanisms have been hypothesized. For the former, it is believed that the heartbeat displaces air from the intrathoracic cavity causing a pressure wave that bounces against the occlusion. For the latter, pulses in the vessels above the site of obstruction, especially those located relatively superficially within the tissues of the upper airway may cause a similar pulse wave. One further speculation is that transmission of cardiogenic oscillations to the airflow signal may be influenced by the degree of respiratory muscle tone. When there is high muscle tone during respiratory effort, the transmission of the pulse wave is diminished. -- https://www.thoracic.org/professionals/ ... hannel.php
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:33 pm

OK, a little research. The saw toothed pattern is an echo of a pressure wave generated by the heartbeat. It is relatively uncommon, but not unheard of and does not appear to be symptomatic of anything. Evidently the software that sleep labs use have a way of dealing with it mathematically. I couldn't find an easily accessible version of rescan to check the filtering issue, so I'm not that bothered. Thank you all for your help.

RD

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:43 pm

RiverDave wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:33 pm
OK, a little research. The saw toothed pattern is an echo of a pressure wave generated by the heartbeat. It is relatively uncommon, but not unheard of and does not appear to be symptomatic of anything. Evidently the software that sleep labs use have a way of dealing with it mathematically. I couldn't find an easily accessible version of rescan to check the filtering issue, so I'm not that bothered. Thank you all for your help.

RD
What puzzles me is why it's happening part of the time... I guess the only way we could find out would be for you to set up a night vision camera and record what's happening in your sleep, then look at the times on sleepyhead, to see how you're sleeping during those periods. some folks have used a trailcam that records motion.