Water yuckies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hel8951

Water yuckies

Post by Hel8951 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm

I have a question. I have had my AirSense™ 10 for several months now and am having a problem. Wondering if any body else has had this problem and what the solution would be or could possibly be. When I wake up in the morning, I go to pour out my remaining water from the reservoir and notice there is "stuff" in it. It's kind of gross. I have cleaned and dried my humidifier daily, I am purchasing distilled water from Walmart. Everything looks clean when I pour it in. But in the morning there is "stuff" Any ideas what's happening? Tks. for any suggestions.

RicaLynn

Re: Water yuckies

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Two questions: 1) do you ever *wash* the reservoir? And 2) do you have a filter on the blower unit?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:41 pm

Hel8951 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm
I have a question. I have had my AirSense™ 10 for several months now and am having a problem. Wondering if any body else has had this problem and what the solution would be or could possibly be. When I wake up in the morning, I go to pour out my remaining water from the reservoir and notice there is "stuff" in it. It's kind of gross. I have cleaned and dried my humidifier daily, I am purchasing distilled water from Walmart. Everything looks clean when I pour it in. But in the morning there is "stuff" Any ideas what's happening? Tks. for any suggestions.
Welcome to CPAPTalk!

I have the Airsense 10 AutoSet and use the Walmart distilled water with the magenta colored label & cap in my humidifier.
I usually just top it up for the next night but I occasionally empty and put in fresh. I do not have "stuff" in my humidifier.
I would suspect whatever you are using to clean it. I have even sometimes used bottled water when traveling with no issues.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Do you dry the tank with a lint-free cloth?
You could be seeing the previous day's towel lint.
Cleaning in the evening, and leaving it wet helps prevent lint.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:10 pm

I use the same water and do not have any such deposits. Perhaps it's because it's a new machine.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:30 pm

No.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 pm

D.H. wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:10 pm
I use the same water and do not have any such deposits. Perhaps it's because it's a new machine.
No...has nothing to do with it being a new machine nor the source of the water.

It's more likely something in the air in the bedroom getting sucked through the filter (assuming on is in place and if there isn't one that might be why the crud is in the water) and landing in the water.

Unless the machine itself is faulty/damaged and spitting out stuff from the motor that is getting into the water chamber and that's highly unlikely.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:00 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:30 pm
No.
Can always count on D.H. to add a few misguided "Yuckies" on his own.

I used to read the newspapers sunday comics, back in the 50's when they were worth reading.

Now I don't, they have probably called them "Yuckies", I do! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chartle

Post by chartle » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 am

I have same machine and have used the same water and I'm with pretty much everyone else. I just fill my tank every night.

I too would start at the filter and then the tank. I have only dumped my tank a few times, the last time friday before packing it up before a trip. When I have dumped and rinsed it I just let it air dry.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:53 am

Hel8951 wrote:
I have no idea as to the veracity of her claim, but my respiratory therapist told me to avoid WalMart's distilled water...too many of her customers have reported problems with it. FWIW, I have been using tap water since purchasing my ResMed machine, now two full months into it's life, and I have no residues, precipitation, icky stuff, fibers, or discoloration when I empty my reservoir every third day or so. I have the lowest humidity setting, so my volume sits in the reservoir for up to three days...no growth, nothing visible when I empty what's left.

The idea is to never let the water completely dry out in the reservoir. Always have a few tablespoons of volume left to retain the salts...IF there are salts. If you have staining, try some CLR or vinegar, or lemon juice (fresh). Even apple juice will work in a pinch.

BTW, our local water comes from a glacial catch basin, and it's a steep one with high volumes, so little opportunity for the waters supplied locally to have gathered much mineralization. That's why I have no hesitation about using it as it emerges from our taps. Those in other areas, especially the prairies, would be advised to at least mix in some distilled water if they come close to a dry reservoir each morning.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 am

mesenteria wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:53 am

BTW, our local water comes from a glacial catch basin, and it's a steep one with high volumes, so little opportunity for the waters supplied locally to have gathered much mineralization. That's why I have no hesitation about using it as it emerges from our taps. Those in other areas, especially the prairies, would be advised to at least mix in some distilled water if they come close to a dry reservoir each morning.
You forgot about the pipes that can add deposits. Remember the pipes in Flint, Michigan?

I know of no issue with Walmart distilled water.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Walmart distilled water is usually OK.
I bought some at a ghetto grocery that made pink goo in my tank-ONCE.
My home-made stuff is cleaner and cheaper,
but I wish I had the counter space back.
Still better than all that schlepping jugs around.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Hel8951 wrote:
The more you take that stuff apart and "clean" it (including drying), the more opportunity there is for contaminates to enter.
As was previously asked........do you have a clean air intake filter in place?

I've used distilled water from Walmart since I started therapy and have never had problems with it.

Try doing your cleaning routine in the evening (if you really think it needs to be done that often) and don't bother drying or hanging it up in unsanitary locations (like the bathroom). Drying is unnecessary and cleaning is often done too frequently. Distilled water shouldn't be an issue.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05