Can you help me with a watcha think I can do

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TimmyB

Can you help me with a watcha think I can do

Post by TimmyB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:50 am

Hello I’m Tim , I’m a old man at the ripe age of 43 , lol
I spent many years a bachelor (I’m not ugly) I just did a lot of
Fishing 🎣 haha, , that’s until I met who is my wife now , neither of us had kids when we met But Christmas Eve 2015 , my miracle identical twin girls were born, they came into the world as premies 1.3 lbs and 1.10 lbs , 3.5 months in hospital a lots of dr appointments was tuff but they were both fighters and beat the odds , they’re 2 now and perfect health, so i was working on my health I need lots of energy with these girls lol, I did a lot of tests everything ok ,except tired a lot and snoring loud LOUD, so I was sent for sleep test and results were severe OSA with AHI of 55 / 162 unclassified apnea’s in a 6 hr term so Neurologist wants to do in lab CPAP titration, BUT Insurance denied it but okays all other test I took, the neurologist highly advised that I needed it , so now it’s 1 yr later still no CPAP titration and feel worse than ever and my career is asphalt construction that doesn’t help , ? Is anybody having similar problem, I don’t know what to do anymore, I just started looking at the legal route but haven’t heard much from that yet ,, one attorney is looking at medical records but hasn’t said he could help yet not sure he can , neurologist said I may need bipap or I could have a Central apnea and I guess that’s your brain, I wanna live happy, I wanna breath and sleep, my baby girls and wife need daddy around can you help me with what I should do , me and dr tried for over a year now, now I need another way to get tested and repaired thanks from me and my family

Pugsy

Re: Can you help me with a watcha think I can do

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:04 am

How does your insurance feel about doing a home titration with an apap capable machine to get an idea just what you might need in terms of pressure or machine.

The doctor may prefer in lab but just because that's what he prefers but insurance companies don't always want to pay for what the doctor wants to do.

Yeah..you might need a bilevel machine...or a specialty machine to treat centrals...and you might not.

Get a full data apap machine that will flag centrals if they happen...and worry about them later if they are worth worrying about.

Fix the known problem first ....the OSA stuff and then if the apap machine shows other stuff it can't fix then you have ammunition to use against the insurance company for getting a different machine or that in lab sleep study.
You might get lucky and a good apap machine ends up being all you need.
It's certainly better to try it instead of doing nothing. There's a chance it might just work.

In your situation with unknown pressure needs...I suggest the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet...it can actually be set to sort of mimic a bilevel machine to some extent. If you need higher pressures...it's exhale relief IMHO is a better choice than some of the other machines. More apt to be helpful when faced with pressures in the teens.
It will flag centrals if you have them...it has easy to obtain and free software to evaluation things.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

AirMech74

Post by AirMech74 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:04 am

I'm right there with you man...I'm 43 and just had my first child last Feb...a lil girl.

I got diagnosed about a week ago with Severe OSA with 79 events and low O2...like at 50%. I'm in aviation maint. I'm a Quality Control inspector for maint. Kinda hard to do when you are dragging ass all the time and just want to sleep. I started my lil journey in Feb and i'm getting ready to do my Titration on Wed.

Sucks that your insurance denied yours. Mine denied the in-lab sleep study so I had to do mine at home for 2 nights. But from what i've read on here and on another forum, there is an in-home version of a Titration test...not sure what it cost though. I wish you luck man.

Oh, and congrats on the Twins!

*Pugsy beat me to it....listen to this woman...she has been a TREMENDOUS help to me.*

A man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile, can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy" ~ Pres. John F. Kennedy

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks for the info so quick everyone, I’m getting bad help from dr and insurance reading these post ,I thought dr was fighting for me because insurance did send a APAP in the mail my dr stayed on subjects,of the testing he said APAP would not help, I guess I should get some help on how to use it or try it more, gotta learn how to set it maybe, nobody body showed me just mailed it , I’m a country boy ain’t good with directions lol thanks again everybody this was already a lot of help ,

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:09 am

Timmy can you get a copy of your full sleep study from the Dr and post a copy here with any personal information removed ? We can then take a look at see what we are dealing with.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 am

So someone sent you an apap machine in the mail but you didn't use it because you didn't know how????
Geez. And we wonder why cpap use has such a high failure rate.

And yes..the doctor might be right..apap might not help but sometimes you have to prove something doesn't work to get the insurance company to sit up and pay attention and pay for something that might help figure out what will work.

It's part of the red tape that insurance companies make us go through in hopes that we abandon things and that way they don't have to pay for anything extra.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 am

A712E74B-CAD6-48F9-9621-F68549E0C8EE.jpeg
A712E74B-CAD6-48F9-9621-F68549E0C8EE.jpeg (399.34 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:06 am

Jas_williams
Pugsy did that work not sure if ya can see the results I’m new at this stuff,lol I’m a simple man haha

I didn’t read or use it much because doctor said it wasn’t right for me, I excepted it because it was the only thing Insurance offered
Last edited by TimmyB on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:11 am

Did you have that sleep study done in a sleep lab with a tech in attendance or was it a home sleep study thing that you used for a night or two at home and then sent in and got evaluated?

It looks like a ResMed ApneaLink home sleep study report to me.

If it was a home sleep study...did you wear anything around your chest or abdomen?

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:18 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:11 am
Did you have that sleep study done in a sleep lab with a tech in attendance or was it a home sleep study thing that you used for a night or two at home and then sent in and got evaluated?

It looks like a ResMed ApneaLink home sleep study report to me.

If it was a home sleep study...did you wear anything around your chest or abdomen?
Pugsy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 am
So someone sent you an apap machine in the mail but you didn't use it because you didn't know how????
Geez. And we wonder why cpap use has such a high failure rate.

And yes..the doctor might be right..apap might not help but sometimes you have to prove something doesn't work to get the insurance company to sit up and pay attention and pay for something that might help figure out what will work.

It's part of the red tape that insurance companies make us go through in hopes that we abandon things and that way they don't have to pay for anything extra.
. It was just a one night study and I tried the APAP 3 times it woke me up like I was suffocating but I just turned it on and figured it was preset 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 am

TimmyB wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:18 am
I tried the APAP 3 times it woke me up like I was suffocating but I just turned it on and figured it was preset 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Geez....probably was set to factory defaults which are pretty much guaranteed to make someone fee like they are suffocating.
We hear it all the time.

So...what do you want to do about it or can you do about it?
You don't happen to still have the apap do you?

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 pm

It was just 1 night 6 hrs of sleep test and my memory is terrible because of this issue I’m sure, I’m pretty sure something on my chest, definitely nothing on my abdomen, I think that’s why my dr was frustrated with insurance, my neurologist even tried a couple of times to talk to insurance doctor and do a pier to pier to explain things, but they never got back with him, like I said it’s been over a year my neurologist has asked for help

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:10 pm

TimmyB wrote:
It was just a one night study and I tried the APAP 3 times it woke me up like I was suffocating but I just turned it on and figured it was preset 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Probably was preset... to the wrong settings.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:43 pm

It looks like your insurance wouldn’t pay for a lab titration so an apap was issued. As Pugsy asks do you still have it or was it taken back due to non compliance ?

If you still have the machine we can help you get it setup so you can use it and start getting you treated.

Jason

TimmyB

Post by TimmyB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 am
TimmyB wrote:
I tried the APAP 3 times it woke me up like I was suffocating but I just turned it on and figured it was preset 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Geez....probably was set to factory defaults which are pretty much guaranteed to make someone fee like they are suffocating.
We hear it all the time.

So...what do you want to do about it or can you do about it?
You don't happen to still have the apap do you?
Yes I still have APAP