To Humidify or Not

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rubyslipperss

To Humidify or Not

Post by Rubyslipperss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:10 pm

With my new CPAP coming tomorrow, I am once again faced with the decision of whether or not to use the humidifier. I got my most recent machine in 2011. Every time I tried to use the humidifier I felt like I was breathing under water. Does anyone else have this problem?

Pugsy

Re: To Humidify or Not

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Some people like the humidity...some don't. Some people need it and some people don't.
It's all personal preference and it doesn't matter what I experience or even prefer...it's what you experience and prefer that matters.

I know people who don't even attach a humidifier..and people who attach it but just add water but no heat so minimal added humidity and people who like just a little added moisture and people who would snort water if they could and they set it to maximum humidity.

All these people are "normal" because they are all individuals and have their own high individualized personal needs and it's normal for them and that's all that matters.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rubyslipperss

Post by Rubyslipperss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:33 pm

If I end up getting the ResMed AirSense 10, they sell a piece that you insert in place of the humidifier. Amazon has it for around $20.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:43 pm

I seem to breathe clearer when I do not add humidity, except in the winter. I kind of think that if I can breath OK during the day, having a slight pressurization will not change things. In the winter when the furnace is running I need so additional moisture so I start using the humidifier.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:45 pm

You don't have to use that special cover if you don't want to.
You can insert the water chamber and not put any water in it and just turn the heat off to the water chamber.
No big deal. Easy to go without the humidifier and not have to buy anything else if you don't want to.
And if for some reason you wanted to ever try maybe minimal humidity..you could add a little water to the chamber and still leave the heat off if you wish...we call it pass over humidity. It's very minimal but for some people it's all they want or need.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Rubyslipperss wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:33 pm
If I end up getting the ResMed AirSense 10, they sell a piece that you insert in place of the humidifier. Amazon has it for around $20.
As Pugsy said, you do not need to buy the humidifier replacement for the AirSense 10, but I did to reduce the footprint of the machine by a couple inches. I use the humidifier about 3-4 months a year here in Houston, then replace the humidifier with the end cap for the rest of the year. I will take every inch of nightstand space I can get and the replacement is cheap.

Just remember as others have said, humidity is strictly a personal choice option. Most I would guess like it, but some don't. Also, a lot depends on the humidity of the bedroom. In the winter the humidity in a person's house can drop to very low levels, which causes many problems. In the summer the humidity in the bedroom can easily get too high, which causes different types of problems. Neither too low, or too high, is good in a house not to mention in your nose/lungs.

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

Rubyslipperss

Post by Rubyslipperss » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:06 pm

sptrout wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:59 pm
Rubyslipperss wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:33 pm
As Pugsy said, you do not need to buy the humidifier replacement for the AirSense 10, but I did to reduce the footprint of the machine by a couple inches. I use the humidifier about 3-4 months a year here in Houston, then replace the humidifier with the end cap for the rest of the year. I will take every inch of nightstand space I can get and the replacement is cheap.

Just remember as others have said, humidity is strictly a personal choice option. Most I would guess like it, but some don't. Also, a lot depends on the humidity of the bedroom. In the winter the humidity in a person's house can drop to very low levels, which causes many problems. In the summer the humidity in the bedroom can easily get too high, which causes different types of problems. Neither too low, or too high, is good in a house not to mention in your nose/lungs.
I am in Houston too, the NW side. I don’t have a lot of space since my Amazon Echo Show and my IPad Pro (the big one) already take up a lot of room on my night stand. I will probably get the side panel. Even if it isn’t really necessary, it would save me a little space.

I was told that if I get the ResMed instead of the DreamStation, I will get the heated hose. That’s new to me. So if someone could please explain when I can and cannot use it. For example, can I use it without the humidifier?

Thanks.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:17 pm

The heated hose will let you warm the air coming to your face/nose even if you don't have the humidity on or water in the water chamber IF...you don't use that side plate cover thing.

The heating part of the heated hose won't work unless the water chamber is used but if you don't need the air to be warmer it doesn't matter.
So to be clear...you CAN warm the air without having water in the humidifier chamber ...if you want to.
Probably won't matter now that weather should eventually get warmer (as we are supposed to hit 25 tonight and I am in southern Missouri)....normally I have had the air conditioning on a couple times by now.
Anyway...for some people who have ambient temps in their house on the cool side for whatever reason...they might like warmer air even without adding moisture...so it can be done if that is what someone wants.

You can still use the heated hose though with the side cover....it just becomes a non heated hose.

Oh...Same thing with Respironics...I don't know why you might have been told differently unless they just routinely don't stock Respironics DreamStations with the heated hose in the box.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm

I didn't even know these kinds of things (humidifier, heated hose) were options! I was given both, no discussion. I do live in the desert, annual rainfall 6-9" (Northwest Wyoming) so maybe everyone here gets a humidifier?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Chris8243 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm
I didn't even know these kinds of things (humidifier, heated hose) were options! I was given both, no discussion. I do live in the desert, annual rainfall 6-9" (Northwest Wyoming) so maybe everyone here gets a humidifier?
In the US the heated humidifier is pretty much always part of the humidifier package. Other parts of the world not necessarily all that common for any number of reasons. It's pretty standard in the US because it's easy not to use it if you don't want to but if you don't have it and you need it...you are in a world of hurt.
Added humidity is critical to my therapy because my nose gets so mess up if it gets too dried out that I am sick with it and can't breathing and I am just miserable...and probably so miserable I couldn't use it the next night. No sense if making yourself sick when the fix is so easy.
Now some people don't need much added moisture or even some people don't need any but most people need some.
I need maximum and where I live isn't particularly dry either.

It's highly individualized preference....even with a husband and wife both on cpap one might not want any added water and the other is like me and would sort water if we could. Both are right...there is no wrong when it comes to humidity...there's only what works for the individual and its something the individual has to sort out themselves.

Barb (Seattle)

Post by Barb (Seattle) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:21 am

at home, I have to have the humimdifier going. we keep temps at 62 ish at night, so that is cold air coming in. I do have a heated hose, but don't notice
much warmth from it? I could turn that setting up, and turn the humidifier off which I don't think I've ever tried. It would be great to not have to use all that distilled water it's kind of a pain in the arse lol

at hotels, I usually don't need humidification which is weird..i keep temps cool there too *shrug* they must have humid rooms
USED to be on DreamStation..now on S9 VPAP ADAPT
21 years on CPAP

Mirage Quattro Air Small