Lost a lot of weight and sleeping terribly

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gimmedarem

Lost a lot of weight and sleeping terribly

Post by gimmedarem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:44 am

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the forum. I've recently been trying to get healthy and in the process of doing so have lost 70 lbs. Before losing that weight I felt incredible. My AHI was low and I felt well rested. Over the past 2 weeks I've woken up feeling like I've not slept a bit. My AHI is still low but I don't feel it. I've always had a a problem with leaks and I don't feel like it's been an issue before, maybe it is now? Can y'all take a look at my charts and let me know if you spot something that could be the culprit? Thank you.
Attachments
screenshot-20180416-073124.png
screenshot-20180416-073124.png (83.08 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
screenshot-20180416-073144.png
screenshot-20180416-073144.png (77.76 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Pugsy

Re: Lost a lot of weight and sleeping terribly

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 am

I don't see leaks being an issue unless they are waking you up a gazillion times.
You barely went to large leak territory twice and briefly...it wasn't bad enough for the machine to not know what it was doing.

How's your sleep quality in general...sleeping soundly or waking often and if you are waking often any idea why?

Medications...are you taking any medications of any kind?
Any new meds or changes in dosage of old meds?

Other than the maybe thing with leaks...I see nothing of great excitement on your report.

Leaks don't have to be big to disturb our sleep and anything that disturbs our sleep can mess with how we feel.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gimmedarem

Post by gimmedarem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:19 am
I don't see leaks being an issue unless they are waking you up a gazillion times.
You barely went to large leak territory twice and briefly...it wasn't bad enough for the machine to not know what it was doing.

How's your sleep quality in general...sleeping soundly or waking often and if you are waking often any idea why?

Medications...are you taking any medications of any kind?
Any new meds or changes in dosage of old meds?

Other than the maybe thing with leaks...I see nothing of great excitement on your report.

Leaks don't have to be big to disturb our sleep and anything that disturbs our sleep can mess with how we feel.

You're right. I should have looked at the leak rate before I posted. I got so used to them being bad that I stopped paying attention to them.

I feel like I sleep well. It's difficult for me to fall asleep. It usually takes me anywhere from 1-4 hours, but once I am asleep I don't feel like I'm waking up often.

No medications at all. Occasionally some ibuprofen but nothing on a regular basis.

That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time. It probably seems foolish to stress because my reports do look great. I just feel so much worse in terms of how rested I am since the weight loss. Maybe once I reach a healthy weight and can begin maintaining that weight I'll feel like I'm sleeping better.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 am

gimmedarem wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 am
It's difficult for me to fall asleep. It usually takes me anywhere from 1-4 hours, but once I am asleep I don't feel like I'm waking up often.
Ahhh...so maybe you didn't sleep 9 hours like that report shows?

Machine use only counts for the time you were asleep and if insomnia means a lot less usage that alone can make a person feel like crap.
Simply not enough hours of sleep.

Is it possible that for some reason the sleep onset insomnia is worse here lately?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gimmedarem

Post by gimmedarem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 am
gimmedarem wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 am
It's difficult for me to fall asleep. It usually takes me anywhere from 1-4 hours, but once I am asleep I don't feel like I'm waking up often.
Ahhh...so maybe you didn't sleep 9 hours like that report shows?

Machine use only counts for the time you were asleep and if insomnia means a lot less usage that alone can make a person feel like crap.
Simply not enough hours of sleep.

Is it possible that for some reason the sleep onset insomnia is worse here lately?
No not at all, I think I fell asleep around between 12 and 1 or so.
You know what, I feel like an idiot, you're right. I've been having major trouble with insomnia lately. So obvious. Thanks for your help.

SeekSleep

Post by SeekSleep » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 am

Your sleep apnea treatment looks pretty effective to me, but I come here for answers to those questions and am far from being knowledgeable. Through experience though, I do have a lot of experience with different things that affect my sleep quality and how I feel. In your case one of the first things that come to mind is the possibility of over-training. With your 70lbs weight loss would one be safe in assuming you've included an exercise routine in conjunction with your diet? My personality is such that I tend to overdo it when it comes to exercise, which especially when combined with dieting easily leads to over training where feeling exhausted, lethargic, and even somewhat depressed becomes my norm. Depending on your situation it might be worth looking into.

gimmedarem

Post by gimmedarem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 am

SeekSleep wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 am
Your sleep apnea treatment looks pretty effective to me, but I come here for answers to those questions and am far from being knowledgeable. Through experience though, I do have a lot of experience with different things that affect my sleep quality and how I feel. In your case one of the first things that come to mind is the possibility of over-training. With your 70lbs weight loss would one be safe in assuming you've included an exercise routine in conjunction with your diet? My personality is such that I tend to overdo it when it comes to exercise, which especially when combined with dieting easily leads to over training where feeling exhausted, lethargic, and even somewhat depressed becomes my norm. Depending on your situation it might be worth looking into.
That's definitely been an issue in the past. I've taken a much different approach this go around because I've found that the other way isn't a sustainable life change. At least not for myself. I do exercise, but I give myself the appropriate amount of rest. I'm in no rush, I'll get to where I want to be and stay there so long as I take a sensible and sustainable approach. I think Pugsy nailed it. Think I just needed a mirror to step out from the forest to see the trees.

Rubyslipperss

Post by Rubyslipperss » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 am

I take Melatonin every night and my insomnia is pretty well gone. I have autoimmune Hepatitis and nonalcoholic Cirrhosis and have to be careful of taking any new medication but my liver doctor said it was 👍 OK to take it.

gimmedarem

Post by gimmedarem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 am

Rubyslipperss wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 am
I take Melatonin every night and my insomnia is pretty well gone. I have autoimmune Hepatitis and nonalcoholic Cirrhosis and have to be careful of taking any new medication but my liver doctor said it was 👍 OK to take it.
Thanks for the suggestion

fredr500

Post by fredr500 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Here's a crazy question - after losing 70 lbs do you still have sleep apnea? I was told losing weight was one of my options when I was first diagnosed. The machine was easier but still an incentive to drop some pounds.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:21 pm

fred - IF you lose e.g. 100 lbs, either by diet or surgery, you MIGHT be among the handful of people who seem not to need CPap any more, but only a new study will tell and the vast majority of those who lose weight in general, even 70 lbs, are HIGHLY unlikely to not need Cpap ongoing, if at a lower pressure - which can be gauged with Sleepyhead results being followed over a few wks.
Last edited by Julie on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derek_305

Post by derek_305 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm

I could add that after eating a large meal I sleep very well, the less I eat the harder it is.

Might be worth it to do a follow-up study to see if you still need the machine.