Back pain from new CPAP use??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Back pain from new CPAP use??

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:50 pm

I could tell it was my chest wall muscles; it was completely better in a few days.
The machine actually trained me to breathe a little deeper--even all day,
and it was quite pleasant, even to this day.
If I get aerophagia, I feel it in front. It's easy to sit up, have a drink of water and let the belching begin.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:35 am

I'm not new to CPAP but have been experiencing lower back pain recently, started a couple of weeks ago when I'd just get a muscular twang if I moved in a certain way after getting out of bed, felt like I was going to put my back out. Now it's a dull ache across the whole of my middle back, feels a bit like a kidney infection but without feeling unwell. It's certainly worse first thing in the morning or if I've been sitting for a period of time.
The only thing that has changed recently for me is increased anxiety as in the process of selling and buying houses, so a lot on my mind.
I'll book an appointment with my doctor as a precaution but just wanted to explore the possibility of it being linked with CPAP and aerophagia, and possibly anxiety. I don't use exhale relief currently so may be worth trying?

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

Snoregone Conclusion

Post by Snoregone Conclusion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:47 am

Hannibal 2 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:35 am
I'm not new to CPAP but have been experiencing lower back pain recently, started a couple of weeks ago when I'd just get a muscular twang if I moved in a certain way after getting out of bed, felt like I was going to put my back out. Now it's a dull ache across the whole of my middle back, feels a bit like a kidney infection but without feeling unwell. It's certainly worse first thing in the morning or if I've been sitting for a period of time.
The only thing that has changed recently for me is increased anxiety as in the process of selling and buying houses, so a lot on my mind.
I'll book an appointment with my doctor as a precaution but just wanted to explore the possibility of it being linked with CPAP and aerophagia, and possibly anxiety. I don't use exhale relief currently so may be worth trying?
Nobody here I believe can give you a better answer than the suggestion that you consult your doctor. From what information you’ve provided and not provided, nothing related to CPAP treatment has changed: if so, it’d be more likely that that matters.

Now, as someone that’s had a lot of painful (thinking about it, it’s never pleasant...) experience with kidney stones, have you ever known yourself to have them? I worded it that way, because not all instances will be identical as to how you feel before you pass them, with or without outside help. If you’re prone to forming them, letting yourself get a bit denydrated makes them more easily felt. Kidney stones come in many shapes and sizes, and locations, and how you feel will vary quite a bit. If being quite hydrated changes how things feel and makes things feel better, that’s an interesting indicator.

Without a doubt, see your doctor and tell them everything.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Some back problems only get WORSE as you delay treatment.
The longer you wait, the harder it is to treat.
It is not carved in stone--I'd rather not move the rock.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Some when and if they get their XPAP treatment tuned in, may tend to move less in their sleep, that may cause pain for some. I move all over like Rover, if not pain sets in, it's not caused by my use of XPAP, use of XPAP allows me to wake up in the morning, pain and all. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Snoregone Conclusion

Post by Snoregone Conclusion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Some when and if they get their XPAP treatment tuned in, may tend to move less in their sleep, that may cause pain for some. I move all over like Rover, if not pain sets in, it's not caused by my use of XPAP, use of XPAP allows me to wake up in the morning, pain and all. Jim
If you didn’t wake up in the morning, if there’s no afterlife, you’d never know it, right? :shock:

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:28 pm

Snoregone Conclusion wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 pm
Goofproof wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:16 pm
If you didn’t wake up in the morning, if there’s no afterlife, you’d never know it, right? :shock:
We can Hope the pain stops, personally I'll deal with the pain and even a little fatigue. What I realize as we age we can no longer consider the way we feel to stay the same, blame it on XPAP treatment if you must, but the reality correct XPAP , allows you to live better longer, problems and all!

Darn XPAP! :roll: Jim

Two things we can't change Genetics and the Effects of Time.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for your observations, it may or may not be CPAP related, it could be stones although never had the pleasure of those before, it could be any number of things. So yes, I'll get it checked out by my doctor asap.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:15 pm

While you are in process trying to figure out what to do...

Stay hydrated.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:14 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:15 pm
While you are in process trying to figure out what to do...

Stay hydrated.
Thanks, I will :wink:

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Have you been diagnosed with osteoporosis and/or spinal arthritis? Those can definitely cause problems (maybe new to you) intermittently when you are concentrating on Cpap and possibly forget (I've done it) that other things could be incidentally present.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:26 pm

CPAP can cause other problems too...My brother says it's a pain in the ass. :lol:

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Saw the doctor today, it's muscular - probably pulled it playing squash. He did a urine test to make sure, but no infection or blood. So I just have to do some specific daily exercises and paracetamol if needed, no more squash until it heals but at least it's nothing serious :D

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:44 am

I developed an intolerance to straight CPAP pressure and went to an APAP machine. The pain was lower ribcage and hurt when I inhaled, exp large inhalations, yawns brought tears to my eyes. Mentors here suggested calling my sleep doc and trialing an APAP. At the end of the trial, my back pain was better and then the pain of arguing with the insurance company began (they won of course) ugh...I ended up buying an APAP and switching to the RespCare Hybrid mask. Thanks esp to Rooster, LinkC, and SWS for helping this resistant newbie-to-the-forum understand WHY they recommended switching to an APAP and FFM.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Gman24

Post by Gman24 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:35 am

I’ve been on CPAP for a year now ever since I’ve been on it I’ve had severe lower back pain I have a new $3000 bed on top of that I am using memory foam I’ve bought and back support pillows I’ve literally tried everything and I wake up after 5 1/2 hours with pain every night. People try to tell me it’s not related to the cpap but I don’t care what they say I never had this pain until I started that machine. I am more rested and not drowsy during the days but I fight and struggle to sleep the last few hours of the night to to back pain