Success with Dr. Dakota Collar Device

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Holden4th

Re: Success with Dr. Dakota Collar Device

Post by Holden4th » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:45 am

Thank you Chicago Granny

The items I wish to try are sold in the US. On July 1, the (expletive greedy) Australian government decided to charge sales tax on all goods, including those from overseas. The whole purpose of this misguided legislation is to try and get Australians to purchase from Australian retailers both online and "bricks and mortar". This is really dumb because us Aussies are one of the best in the world at creating black market economies.

One major effect of this legislation was the response of Amazon US who decided that they didn't want to be a tax collector for the Australian government and I can't really blame them. To put this into effect, any computer with an Australian geocached ISP is instantly referred to Amazon's Australian site. This site is next to useless! It has about 20% of what the US site stocks and charges considerably more before adding the sales tax. Amazon has lost a large proportion of their Australian customer base but don't really seem to care about that. Other offshore sites are charging the GST and some are charging nothing saying you can't make us do this!

Can I find any of the collars on Amazon.com.au - like hell I can.

If anyone has a site for the Dr Dakota that isn't Amazon could you please point me in the right direction.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:48 am

https://snoringstopbydrdakota.com/product/blue-large/

I have no idea if they will ship outside the US...couldn't really tell from what I had available as options to check out and nothing on any faq page that I could find.
Holden4th wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:45 am
If anyone has a site for the Dr Dakota that isn't Amazon could you please point me in the right direction.
You do know that I will still mail you stuff as a gift.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 am

JimW159 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 am
Could you be more specific? I went to Amazon and "the eliminator" brought back many things but nothing that seemed similar to the Dr. Dakota device. Searching for "snore eliminator" returned mouth guards only.
Here's what I ordered on Amazon.com, and I received it yesterday. https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Sleep ... eep+Pillow

It's a little different to the one Chicagogranny linked to, I chose it because it's a tad cheaper.

The cost on Amazon.ca for the identical Eliminator collar is $55 (Can) including free standard shipping, https://www.amazon.ca/Eliminator-Sleep- ... eep+collar and on the US site it was $15.97 (US), but with an import charge added to the shipping price.

I bought the one on the US site and also upgraded to priority shipping (because I want to take it on holiday with me and leave in a few days time.)

Tried it last night and it worked well. MUCH cooler than the cervical collar I usually use, and firm too, which was my concern.

The only issue is the length of the adjustable strap which is stupidly long, and I had to sew it to make it shorter to fit me. I don't know what size of neck this is designed for, but not mine that's for sure. Easily fixed though.

I don't believe there is a site to be found for Dr Dakota collars that sells to non US addresses.
Last edited by Arlene1963 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:46 am

Arlene1963 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 am
I don't know what size of neck this is designed for,
The designer fell for the urban myth that only obese people with fat necks snore and have sleep apnea. :lol: :lol:

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:23 am

Holden4th wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:45 am
From my earlier response: "I just ordered one from the Dr. Dakota website (https://snoringstopbydrdakota.com/) "

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:08 am

It's not magic so it must be the collar device. Tuesday night AHI was 0.37 and last night AHI was 0.13. Only one event last night, a Hypopnea, very soon after my head hit the pillow. No other explanation for this than the collar. I'm tempted to go a night without it to see but don't want to risk losing a good night of sleep. )(The further improvement seen the last two nights is no doubt due to moving to the large size Dr. Dakota as it holds my chin up a bit higher than the original collar).

kenmac1005

Post by kenmac1005 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 am

This idea intrigued so I brought an el cheapo collar from Walgreens. Seems to be very effective. Although my apnea is under control Around 5 AHI when I use my Remed VPAP, down from 25 AHI and higher on test. I have used the collar for a week and AHI is 1 or better. I suspected I was tucking my chin which was causing a lot of Clear Airway events. Side benefits, my neck and upper back pain has diminished and yes it looks weird. What i like most is that its a very inexpensive trial and definitely works for me. i am going to trial it with VPAP turned way down to see what the total impact could be. I'll let you know.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:19 pm

kenmac1005 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 am
an el cheapo collar
El cheapo is good enough. I've been using one every night for about seven years.

kenmac1005 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:26 am
i am going to trial it with VPAP turned way down
What machine settings have you been using?

With the collar, I get a big reduction in pressure requirements.

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Well, I received the Dr. Dakota collar I ordered and tried it out. Unfortunately, it wasn't wide enough to keep my chin from dropping. And since the adjustment fasteners were very difficult to do with the arthritis in my hands, I don't think I'll bother ordering the larger size. I was hoping that it would be more comfortable than the 3 inch firm foam cervical collar I'd been using, but it just didn't work out.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Uff Da wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 pm
Well, I received the Dr. Dakota collar I ordered and tried it out. Unfortunately, it wasn't wide enough to keep my chin from dropping. And since the adjustment fasteners were very difficult to do with the arthritis in my hands, I don't think I'll bother ordering the larger size. I was hoping that it would be more comfortable than the 3 inch firm foam cervical collar I'd been using, but it just didn't work out.
I needed to move up to the large also. To make it easier to fasten, fasten it at the front of your neck then spin it around to the back then tighten. I initially had some problems fastening it but this method gets it done in a few seconds.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 am
JimW159 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 am
Could you be more specific? I went to Amazon and "the eliminator" brought back many things but nothing that seemed similar to the Dr. Dakota device. Searching for "snore eliminator" returned mouth guards only.
Here's what I ordered on Amazon.com, and I received it yesterday. https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Sleep ... eep+Pillow

It's a little different to the one Chicagogranny linked to, I chose it because it's a tad cheaper.

The cost on Amazon.ca for the identical Eliminator collar is $55 (Can) including free standard shipping, https://www.amazon.ca/Eliminator-Sleep- ... eep+collar and on the US site it was $15.97 (US), but with an import charge added to the shipping price.

I bought the one on the US site and also upgraded to priority shipping (because I want to take it on holiday with me and leave in a few days time.)

Tried it last night and it worked well. MUCH cooler than the cervical collar I usually use, and firm too, which was my concern.

The only issue is the length of the adjustable strap which is stupidly long, and I had to sew it to make it shorter to fit me. I don't know what size of neck this is designed for, but not mine that's for sure. Easily fixed though.

I don't believe there is a site to be found for Dr Dakota collars that sells to non US addresses.
So inquiring minds need to know: how much was the "import charge"? Did you also have to pay a brokerage fee?
I'm workin' on it.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:59 am

Hi Hose_Head,

I checked my order details in Amazon and the import charge/fee I paid is listed as US $6.67.
No brokerage fee listed in paid order.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Arlene1963 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:59 am
Hi Hose_Head,

I checked my order details in Amazon and the import charge/fee I paid is listed as US $6.67.
No brokerage fee listed in paid order.
Ok. Thanks.
I'm workin' on it.

lliann

Post by lliann » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:04 am

I also saw this thread, ordered it and am pleased with the results.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:40 pm

I recently ordered the Eliminator Sleep cushion was shipped from the USA by amazon to the UK Total shipping including duties $11.50 it works great.