Anyone using Provigil?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jdschooler

Anyone using Provigil?

Post by jdschooler » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:10 am

I recently heard of a medication that improves daytime wakefulness being used for OSA, Excessive Daytime Sleepiness, and Narcolepsy....is anyone using it? If so...what do you think of it?

Thanx,
Jeff,
The No-Longer Sleepy Medic

ResMed AutoSet Spirit w/ heated humidifier
Ramp 20 min, 8cm to 20cm H2o
ResMed Activa Nasal Mask
Respironics Comfort Gel Nasal Mask
ResMed Swfit Nasal Pillows Large

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:32 am

I've used it several times and it does work in keeping you alert without feeling like you're on speed. But I did experience extreme drymouth --one of the less common side=effects.

Anne

Provigil

Post by Anne » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:33 am

I have been using Provigil for excessive daytime sleepiness. I take it 2 x a day in divided doses. I find it very helpful but found when I first started to take it nausa was a problem. I had some other side effects including arrythmia but I find out that I can't function without it. Usually a sleep doc will ask you to take a MSLT test to see how sleepy you are before prescribing the drug.[/list]

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:34 am

I use provigil for excessive daytime sleepiness related to treatment resistant Central Sleep Apnea & severe Alpha Wave Intrustion. My sleep doc also recently added Ritalin for times when I need an extra short term from sleepiness- provigil is long acting and cannot be taken later in the day if I have overwelming sleepiness were ritalin can. I worked hard at optimizing my BiPAP ST and everything else I could do to improve my sleep quality before deciding to try provigil- I had been on BiPAP ST for 6 months by then and been through a lot of ups & downs.

sharonokc

Post by sharonokc » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:07 pm

I have used Provigil for several years now. It does not have the possible side effects of the cylert I used previously. You do have to read the directions, it is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. I usually take mine when I wake up to go to the bathroom, anytime after 4 am and go back to bed. I think it helps me get up earlier than I would without it as well as helping me stay up. I would take a ssecond dose later in the day, but I always forget. I have read some people have dry mouth, but I have not.

The major drawback to the Provigil is the price. I think it will be a while yet before it hits the possibility of generics.

studmuffin15

Post by studmuffin15 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:40 pm

I have been on Provigil since Dec. I love it and have had no side effects from it. I swear by this and would recomend it to anyone. I am working a 16 hour shift right now came in at 10pm tonight and don't get off till 2pm Sunday, so I will really need it to make it through the day, and may I add I only had 4 hours of sleep on top of it. Plus I can't keep my mask on so my cpap don't help much. well good luck with the provigil

John