Provigil (sp?) and other wake meds

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Popinka

Provigil (sp?) and other wake meds

Post by Popinka » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:31 pm

I have seen reference to this medication for those with OSA's with residual sleepiness? Anyone have any experience? Any other good medications. I have just started CPAP and will not resort to meds yet, but am just curious.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:44 pm

Popinka,

Here's a previous thread on the topic

Link: Provigil Thread
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:03 am

Popinka,

Do yourself a big favour and do what I do before taking any medication which is to see what others have experienced.

I normally go to google groups and type in "name of drug" withdrawal.

I did it here for Provogil:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=provig ... awal&hl=en

Dr.'s often tell you the drug is safe and not addictive, but you find out later that it is.

I'm not saying don't try the med. Just to be sure you know what you're getting into before you start.

For medications of this nature, I want to know what's going to be my reaction when I decide to stop taking it.

Regards

Popinka

Post by Popinka » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:37 am

Yikes! I read the link. Thanks guys. May not be the panecea the pharm company says it is on their website!

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:07 pm

I have Central Sleep Apnea that is only partially controlled with BiPAP ST (have 30+ events per hour with BiPAP ST, 65+ without) plus I have severe Alpha Wave Intrusions. I waited until I had been on BiPAP ST for over 6 months with 100% compliance to try Provigil and have been taking it since last spring. If I had to make a choice between my BiPAP ST and Provigil I would go with the BiPAP ST as it helps to prevent apnea events. That is not to say Provigil doesn't help but it can only help me stay awake- it does nothing to prevent apnea events from occuring. I have noticed my sleep has improved some with Provigil but it is a result of being much more active- now when I feel extremely tired in the evening it is hard earned to the bone tiredness were before I would be just as tired even if I had slept most of the day.

Provigil can be a useful medication in the right situations but I feel that other options should be tried first- it is not right for everyone just like CPAP is not. I would hate to see primary care doctors prescribing Provigil for every patient that complains of being tired/sleepy/faigued without at least an evaluation by sleep doctor first. On the other hand, if you have been compliant with xPAP and have done everything else you can to improve your sleep but still have excessive daytime sleepiness Provigil may help. Like with any medication or medical treatment there are risk & benefits you have to figure out for yourself. I would much rather find something that actually prevents my central apnea events and the sleep disruptions they cause but in the mean time I will do what my doctors & I think is best. Provigil improves wakefullness but it does not prevent you from sleeping- its hard to describe it exactly but it is very different from stimulant medications that speed up both your mind & body. There is no feeling of rush when you take it and therefore no crash like with stimulants- I would feel more of a rush if I drank of cup of coffee then with Provigil. It doesn't have as high of potential for addiction as most stimulant medications and is in a less restrictive drug schedule (Provigil can be prescribed with refills instead of having to get a new script in writting from a doctor for more controlled medications).

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:11 pm

Christinequilts:

I understand that a small dose of Elavil (10-25MG) is useful for treating people with Alpha Wave intrusions.

Elavil is an older type of antidepressant, that is normally prescribed in doses of 150-200MG for treating depression.

For some reason, and the scientists don't know why, a small dose of this medication can treat things such as tension headaches, certain nerve pains, bladder troubles, and the Alpha Wave intrusions.

With such a small dose, the side effects and potential withdrawal problems are minimal.

Has your doc discussed this option with you ?

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:15 am

Elavil was one of the first meds they tried for me to improve me sleep years ago. I was started at the lowest dose but still had problems the next day with hang over feeling. I ended up taking half of the smallest dose...well, as close as you can get with cutting a very small 10mg tablet in half. It helped a little but not enough of course- I think I did eventually get up to 10mg but it was hard. With a lot of medications I seem to be supper sensative- a doctor recently prescribed a muscle relaxer for a different problem but it increased my central sleep apnea so severely I couldn't continue to take it. I hated the feeling everything my eyes closed that I didn't breath and would end up waking myself up.