Verification if my SoClean works

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
arneschonberger

Verification if my SoClean works

Post by arneschonberger » Fri May 15, 2020 12:29 pm

I have a SoClean for several years. At first i could smell ozone right after cleaning cycle, now I cannot. I have an ozone detector used for spa cleaner checking. I need to know which direction air is pumped during cleaning cycle to put device in the tube. Have respMed with humidifier.

Just skeptical about the SoClean working for ever. Company offers no way to check the ozone status.

ups4

Post by ups4 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:18 pm

From my understanding of the caustic gas ozone, if you can smell it, you are inhaling it and it can cause damage to your respiratory system. It's good that you are NOT smelling it anymore.

That being said, what makes you think you need such a device? Are you aware that none of the CPAP manufacturers recommend using any of these machines to "clean" your equipment? If SoClean was as effective as Captain Kirk suggests, you would think that all CPAP suppliers would recommend it. In fact, ResMed has stated that their warranty could be voided if ozone-related damage is detected.

Get rid of the SoClean and just use good old soap and water for cleaning. This method is what every CPAP manufacturer suggests.

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went

jimbud

Re: Verification if my SoClean works

Post by jimbud » Fri May 15, 2020 1:32 pm

arneschonberger wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:29 pm
I have a SoClean for several years. At first i could smell ozone right after cleaning cycle, now I cannot.

Ozone reduces our sense of smell, meaning that after some period of use we cannot detect its odor anymore. Similar to how some people keep increasing the amount of perfume they use – they only use just enough to barely smell it (which keeps increasing to the point where some of us start to gag when near them!)Aug 16, 2017

The Facts About Ozone - Hayward Score

How about your sense of smell in general? (and taste)
Is food just as larapin as it used to be? :D

JPB

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Do a forum search for SC and see how many threads, never mind posts, come up!

It's a scam, one of the worst ever perpetrated on the public, and they have been sued over their nonsense for a long time.

Too bad you can't get your money back.

There's nothing dirty in machines, masks, etc. to begin with, and anything that might be there is already in the air in your house anyway!

Pile of nonsense!

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 pm

"Just skeptical about the SoClean working", DUH!

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri May 15, 2020 4:52 pm

arneschonberger wrote:
I have a SoClean for several years. At first i could smell ozone right after cleaning cycle, now I cannot. I have an ozone detector used for spa cleaner checking. I need to know which direction air is pumped during cleaning cycle to put device in the tube. Have respMed with humidifier.

Just skeptical about the SoClean working for ever. Company offers no way to check the ozone status.
welcome to the zoo!

unfortunately, soclean is working as it was designed to do; separating you from your cash.

i know that sounds harsh. but you prolly aren't going to get a lot of positive things said about noclean.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 15, 2020 5:05 pm

arneschonberger wrote:

I haven't read the responses... yet, but the soclean is junk, and should never *ever* be used.

viewtopic/t175986/NoClean-sued-for-fals ... ising.html

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... letter.pdf

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... one-gas-or

Last edited by palerider on Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri May 15, 2020 6:54 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:05 pm

I haven't read the responses,
<sniff> and here i thought you read ALL of my posts?!?!?!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 15, 2020 7:12 pm

hobbs wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 pm
"Just skeptical about the SoClean working", DUH!
No, never did, never will.
It might make noise or smell, but it is a FAKE.
Just toss it out, and don't bother replacing it.
The money you spent for it is GONE.
Try to learn from that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri May 15, 2020 8:16 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:54 pm
palerider wrote:

I read them *after* I responded to the first socrap message.

I should have said "I haven't read the rest of the responses yet.

Some people are SOOOO delicate.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri May 15, 2020 9:50 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:16 pm
zonker wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:54 pm
palerider wrote:

I read them *after* I responded to the first socrap message.

I should have said "I haven't read the rest of the responses yet.

Some people are SOOOO delicate.
well, okay i guess.

just hope i can sleep tonight.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat May 16, 2020 10:21 am

arneschonberger wrote:
Just skeptical about the SoClean working for ever.
It never worked.
Risks:
The residual smell of ozone may be unpleasant and risky. Ozone exposure is potentially dangerous among those with respiratory conditions. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration describes it as a “toxic gas with no known useful medical application.” The Environmental Protection Agency says that relatively low amounts of ozone can cause shortness of breath and worsen chronic respiratory disease.

In fact, ironically, exposure to it may compromise the body’s ability to fight respiratory infections.

Ultimately, the available CPAP cleaners and sanitizers seem unlikely to provide additional cleaning capacity beyond standard methods of cleaning with soap and water. There is no evidence that these devices reduce the risk of infection.

These companies also have no financial interest in investigating this possibility. The devices sell well without any such study. This may reveal much about the motivation behind the recent push in direct-to-consumer marketing of the product, beyond the science supporting its use.

A Word From Verywell
Further research may be helpful to determine if these devices have any role in routine CPAP therapy. The risk of infection is so small, and the evidence for benefit so weak, that these devices are not currently recommended. Save your money and buy a lifetime supply of liquid dish soap instead!

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-you-n ... in-4171650
From a microbiologist with 25 years experience with sterilization and disinfection of equipment and facilities used in the production of sterile pharmaceuticals:
I will give you some facts, and I base the facts on the fact that I am the one who works in the industry of low temperature sterilzation

1. So Clean claims they use the same technology as is used in hospitals. LIE - the hospital ozone sterilizers cost upwards of 100,000.00 and require an O2 farm (a room with 15 to 20 tall O2 cylinders) to provide pure oxygen to extract the ozone. Besides the fact that SoClean lied about this, why on earth do you think a 300.00 device can even come close to what a 100,000.00 device can do. If SoClean was validated to sterilize or even high level disinfect, hospitals would have hundreds of them rather than the 100K devices. The SoClean just does not have the power to do what you think it does.

2. It does not clean. Period. You think it does, place a small dab of peanut butter in your hose and see if it is still there when the cycle is complete. You think this is not a good test, it is the basis of the VA soil test, the test that all medical cleaners must pass or they cannot claim to clean.

3. Amazon reviews - nothing but feel good stories. I have not read one Amazon review that can factually claim that the SoClean kills germs. If you know of one, please post the link because I would like to read it. What is the basis of a 5 star review when all they can go on is they like it? Meaningless.

4. I did own a SoClean on the 30 day trial, when I realized what it was vs. the claims they make I returned it under the 30 day return policy. Why not just get one of the room ozone fans and hang your mask in front of it, they would both do the same thing which is nothing.

I am just repeating the same thing I have typed here about a hundred times; for now on I will just say it is awesome, give the scammers your money, you will love it.

viewtopic/t157842/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1 ... 9#p1210375
Edit: SoClean is being sued for False Advertising and other violations of law - https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/14 ... clean-inc/

Edit: ResMed changed their warranty terms to include a statement that use of an ozone-cleaning machine may void their CPAP machine warranty.
January 8, 2020
To Our Valued Patient,
ResMed announced an update to its limited warranty that may affect whether you choose to use an ozone
device with your ResMed machine and mask. Please review the detail of this update below.*

ResMed user guides advise patients to periodically clean ResMed machines, components and masks with
mild detergent and warm water only. Some patients choose to use other means to clean and/or disinfect
their machines. With the increased use of ozone devices, ResMed has observed that prolonged and
repeated use of an ozone device may eventually cause internal damage to a ResMed machine, leading to
an increase in motor noise.
Warranty update: Effective for sales of ResMed machines on or after February 1, 2020, ResMed’s limited
warranty will exclude damage to ResMed machines caused by use of ozone devices. The limited warranty
on ResMed masks, with the exception of ResMed AirTouch™ products, will not be affected.
ResMed is not taking a position on whether you should use an ozone device. That decision is up to you, as
the patient, to balance the convenience of using an ozone device versus the likelihood of potential damage
to your ResMed machine. ResMed is reinforcing the cleaning instructions in its machine user guide:
periodic cleaning with mild detergent and warm water is all that is required with a ResMed machine,
component or mask. This letter requires no action on your part.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the manufacturer of the ozone device you are
currently using or, for medical advice, your physician.
Sincerely,
Your home care provider

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... letter.pdf

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat May 16, 2020 7:03 pm

I can verify that if neither you nor your CPAP machine have been seriously harmed by it yet, then no, the product has not yet done all the harmful "work" it is capable of doing. That takes time.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.