What (A)CPAPs does VA currently furnish?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TANSTAF1

What (A)CPAPs does VA currently furnish?

Post by TANSTAF1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 pm

What APAPs or CPAPs does VA currently furnish? If my 6 year old commercial sleep study specifies an auto CPAP is that what they will furnish, or do they do a new test and try to furnish a brick?

Specifically will they furnish a ResMed AirSense 10 with HumidAir? I am male. Will they provide the "for her" model if I express a concern of a possible UARS?

My S9 still works but in the warm 6 months I spend 3 days a week at my year round home and 4 days at my cottage. I would like to keep one at home and one at my cottage so I will not have to lug my APAP back and forth. If they supply an Airsense 10 will I encounter compliance issues (since the AirSense would only be used 4 days a week at the most and the S9 does not export data other than thru a the SD card)?

Chibi's Dad

Re: What (A)CPAPs does VA currently furnish?

Post by Chibi's Dad » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 am

Good morning. I just received my CPAP from the VA in Nebraska yesterday. I was issued a Phillips Dreamstation Auto with the heated humidifier. The clinic told me their pulmonologist reviewed results from the Dreamstation as well as the RESMed machine and decided the Dreamstation was the preferred device. I expect this policy will vary from VA to VA and pulmonologist to pulmonologist. The clinic also preferred the RESMED masks to the Phillips masks. The tech basically told me so many patients have had issues with the Phillips masks that they rarely issue them anymore. Hope this helps, and good luck with whichever VA you are dealing with.

TANSTAF1

Post by TANSTAF1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks for the info. I see in another thread that both the ResMed and the Respironics are available from the VA.

Originally I had Respironics machines (Pro C-Flex) supplied by a DME who's main interest was high profit.

I convinced my doc to prescribe an APAP and sought out a DEM to buy ResMed S9 as I could get the clinician manual for it. With the advances in features of the newer machines I am not sure if that is even needed any longer, or if I can get such a manual for the 10.

One thing I am seeking is dishwasher friendly parts. I realize some people never clean their stuff, or only do so infrequently, but being able to put them in my Bosch is so much easier.

I got a Hans Rudolph 7600 Series V2 Full Face Mask and a stainless steel humidifier tank for my S9. I have a hose connection on my faucet to run hot water thru the tube.

I'll have to check if the Dreamstation humidifier is dishwasher safe, or the AirSense's too for that matter although I only use distilled water and anyway cleaning the tank is easy.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:28 am

It's may vary by VA center most likely but for a long time it seems like all the members here are reporting being given has been the Respironics models. It used to be that only auto/apap machines were being dispensed but here lately we have seen reports of the DreamStation Pro model being dispensed instead of the Auto.

You will need to check with your VA center to be sure. I do not know if they will special order the ResMed for you if indeed all they have is Respironics.

ResMed does have 2 different water chambers for the S9 and the AirSense models...one for regular washing and one safe for dishwasher and they market them as such but I can't see any real difference in them myself. :lol:
I don't know about Respironics but I think they only offer one and as to dishwasher safe or not I don't remember.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:28 am

I don't know about Respironics but I think they only offer one and as to dishwasher safe or not I don't remember.
The System One Heated Humidifier User Manual states. Hand washing can be performed daily. Dishwashing can be performed once a week.
Wash the parts of the tank in the dishwasher (top shelf only) or in a solution of warm water and a mild liquid dishwashing detergent. Gently wash the middle seal. Rinse the parts with clean water. Wipe the parts completely on the top and bottom. Allow them to air dry. CAUTION: Use a mild liquid dishwashing detergent only for either hand washing or when using a dishwasher.
So technically you can put Respironics in the dishwasher but I never tried it because I wanted mine to last as long as possible.

I also tried to find out if the ResMed dishwasher and standard tanks were made out of different materials but I couldn't find any listing.
Last edited by OkyDoky on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:00 am

OkyDoky wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 am
So technically you can put Respironics in the dishwasher but I never tried it because I wanted mine to last as long as possible.
And I have never washed any of my stuff in a dishwasher because I don't have a dishwasher. :lol:
That's probably why I never paid much attention to dishwasher safe or not.
Now I do have 2 S9 water chambers one being the official dishwasher safe and the other being the standard and I really can't tell any difference in them.
I think both of my AirSense chambers are likely the standard model though. Haven't really looked though...doesn't really matter in my situation. If I have time I will look later.

Haven't done much research on the water chambers because I had no need
1...no dishwasher
2...only wash it whenever I think about it and that's not all that often that I think about it. :lol:
Only thing I do half way religiously is change the filter about once a month....again when I think about it.

Now what someone else feels the need to do or not do...that's up to them. Personal choice...whatever makes a person feel okay with whatever they are doing or not doing is fine by me. Not my job to force my choices on someone else. They get to make their own choices.

Now if I did have a dishwasher I might be more concerned with the heat during the drying time than anything else.
But that's a maybe... :lol: :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:03 am

For the ResMed chamber, here's how to tell if it is diswasher safe ("cleanable")
AirSense™ 10, AirStart™ 10, and AirCurve™ 10 machines denote the water chamber model with an "S" or "C" label. Look directly above the maximum fill line located on the side of the chamber to find the word HumidAir™ and the corresponding letter embossed into the tank.

If the water chamber is dishwasher safe, the chamber will appear as HumidAir C, which represents a cleanable tank.
If the water chamber is the standard model, the chamber will appear as HumidAir S, which represents a standard tank.
Cleaning Tips

The manufacturer states, "the humidifier may be washed in a dishwasher on the delicate or glassware cycle (top shelf only). It should not be washed at temperatures higher than 65 degree Celcius."

The silicone seal cannot be placed in the dishwasher. Clean the seal with warm water and mild soap.
From https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... amber.html

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:58 am

First, it depends on the VA. I'd call the department involved and ask if they only issue certain brands or if you can request a Resmed. I advised my BIL's son about the 2 machines and he requested the Airsense Apap and that is what they gave him.

As to dishwasher stuff, I know Medicare will not pay for the safe-for-dishwasher humidifier bin. I bought one early on, but it was kindof a waste of money since none of the other equipment is dishwasher safe.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

TANSTAF1

Post by TANSTAF1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:03 am

I am waiting to hear from the VA. I update this to indicate what's available from the Boston VA when I hear.

If one is going to clean their equipment :-) , arguably the most important and toughest to clean is the mask because of all the nooks and crannies. The Hans Rudolph 7600 Series V2 Full Face Mask that I have is dish washer safe. I like it better than the Quattro Fx I had been using. I had been using nasals but somehow begin to mouth breath. A chin strap helped but to get nasals tight on my face left marks. I found a FFM to be better. The Rudolph has a chin flap that so far has eliminated the need for a chin strap. My only complaint with it is that the straps seem to irritate my skin which is strange because the strap material seems to be the same as the Quattro.

The tank is easier to clean but I used to use NSF 42 and NSF 53 filtered water, but after time a mineral deposit hardened on the bottom. I switched to steam distilled water and no longer have that problem.

TANSTAF1

Post by TANSTAF1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:43 pm

I got my new APAP from the Boston VA today. They had a bunch of machines sitting on top of a cabinet and one was a S10 Airsense autoset. I asked if I could get that one and they said sure. I didn't pay attention to what other ones they had. I did ask if they had a "for her" model, but they did not and I did not push as I am not sure if that is a needed additional feature for me. I am very happy.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks for your service....Sounds like the VA is very generous with taxpayer money

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm

TANSTAF1 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:43 pm
a S10 Airsense autoset.
"Airsense 10 Autoset" No 'S'... they dropped the S after the S9.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm
TANSTAF1 wrote:
a S10 Airsense autoset.
Secondwindcpap calls their Airsense models S10

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Just because Secondwind calls a ResMed VPAP a BiPap doesn't make it right. They take some liberties with the model names.

If ResMed had wanted a S10 it would have called these machines S10 but instead they called them AIrSense/AirCurve and the S is absent. They did that on purpose.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:03 pm

LSAT wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm
palerider wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm
TANSTAF1 wrote:
a S10 Airsense autoset.
Secondwindcpap calls their Airsense models S10
Hmm, which one should I consider authoritative, the manufacturer, or a seller of used products (though a well thought of one)... :ponder:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.