ZITS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Laura353

ZITS!

Post by Laura353 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:39 am

I started with my cpap machine in December and lately the mask (full face) is giving me terrible zits around my chin and under my lip. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: ZITS!

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 am

Try a mask liner, or thorough cleaning and rinsing of mask and skin contact surfaces.
Or switch to a nasal pillow mask.
Alternating between two masks that contact in different places is another plan I used.

Keeska

Post by Keeska » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:20 am

Hi Laura. This happened to me too. Zit City! Turns out I'm extremely sensitive to silicone. I covered the entire silicone part of my full face mask with moleskin (the only thing that would stick to it) and achieved instant success. I bought a 24" long roll of 4 5/8" wide moleskin made by Dr. Scholl's and cut it into three 8" long pieces. Each piece covers the full-face cushion and lasts more than a month, and the roll cost me $4.99 at Wal-Mart. I cut a starburst-like pattern from the middle extending out to the inner border and fold each piece under the edge so the adhesive doesn't stick to my face. Folding it down around the outside leaves extra puckers, so I cut along where the pucker line would be and fold one side down and the other side over the first, overlapping in about 6 places so it fits smoothly. It's really smooth, dry, and very comfortable against my skin. And no more zits, thank goodness.

I had been using nasal pillows for 8 years until they made the inside of my nose raw, and I switched to the full-face mask. It never occurred to me that I could be silicone sensitive.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

freetimecreations

Post by freetimecreations » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:57 am

I get pimples if I don't wash my face right after I wake up. Mostly because I forget if I don't. I use a Cetaphil type soap and "yikes" cold water, but that is only if there is no hot water in the pipes. Seems to reduce the mask lines as well. Depends on what I did that day but I often wash dirt, sunscreen or whatever off before bed as well.

I gently wash my mask every day but this seems less important if I keep my face clean.

Laura353

Post by Laura353 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:38 pm

THANKS everyone!!! This is sooo helpful! How do you wash your masks? Do you get the "memory foam" or whatever- sorry I sound ignorant i know- wet too? Last time i did that it took like 3 days to dry.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Are you using the cushion with the memory foam in it or just the regular silicone only cushion?

If the memory foam....when was the last time you got a new cushion?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

freetimecreations

Post by freetimecreations » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Laura353 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:38 pm
THANKS everyone!!! This is sooo helpful! How do you wash your masks? Do you get the "memory foam" or whatever- sorry I sound ignorant i know- wet too? Last time i did that it took like 3 days to dry.
Yes, I've washed mine (still unsure if this is a good idea or recommended) but mostly wipe it with a very soft cloth and tiniest amount of soap water. Yes, it takes forever to dry so I have a couple of "AirTouch" cushions. When I had one cushion, I would put it in the oven at 110 degrees F or use my "AirFit" cushion for a couple nights.

Laura353

Post by Laura353 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:40 pm
Are you using the cushion with the memory foam in it or just the regular silicone only cushion?

If the memory foam....when was the last time you got a new cushion?
I *think* I have the one with memory foam... that's what it feels like anyway. I just got my machine on 12/19 and when I did they gave me an extra mask. On one of the masks the memory foam tore after like a month so I am on my second mask, using it about a month.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:53 pm

I understand the foam cushion is cleverly "engineered" to be used only a month . . .
:twisted:

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:04 am

I use thesefor cleansing before bedtime and after I take my mask off https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1. I also use this in the morning https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1. Since I started using the latter, no more blemishes and rosacea has disappeared.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.