Into & mask questions from "walking dead" newb

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KarmicLynx

Into & mask questions from "walking dead" newb

Post by KarmicLynx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 am

Hello,

I am a complete newb at this. Though I am feeling much less of one by reading the posts. Thank you for this.

My story: I am currently what you would call one of the "Walking Dead". I am 39, a systems programmer, slightly overweight, living in Kansas. I enjoy camping, working with animals and scuba. Since high school my friends have always said that I could sleep anywhere, anytime, under any circumstance. In a car, bus or plane, during lectures or speeches, all day and all night. I'm lazy. That's just who I am or at least I that's what I thought.

I live for the weekend, but not for the usual reasons, it's not party time for me. I get about 9 hours of sleep per night during the week and always feel like I am more tired when I get up than when I went to sleep. But the weekends! The weekends I can usually work in a full day of sleep. This is what gets me thru the week. I still don't feel particularly “rested” but I feel good enough for the next week.

I got married in 2002, and while my wife initially complained about my snoring, I really didn't think much about it and she was able to live with it. Only it's gotten worse, it now interferes greatly with her sleeping She will often move to another room to sleep, this is something that I can't live with. So I went to the doctor who ordered a sleep study.

Well I found the one place that I couldn't sleep, the sleep study. I guess I did get a little sleep, not much. It was enough for the tech to say that even when I was asleep, I wasn't really “sleeping”.

Ever since the sleep study, I just haven't been able to catch up on my sleep. Even sleeping the entire weekend (with breaks for snacks) I haven't been able to get back to that somewhat “happy” routine before the sleep study. Happy isn't exactly the right word, but it was better than where I am now. I feel that I am in a spiral slowly fading and not being able to get enough sleep to come back. Thanks to the grace of coffee I am making it to work.

Yesterday I got the results of the first sleep study. 99 events per hour. I've no idea where this really puts me in the scheme of sleep apnea, but they said that I was scheduled for another sleep study this time with a CPAP. It's scheduled for early next week, I am excited.

After reading many of the posts, I am sold on the S9 w humidifier. Seems like the cpap of choice, I'm also thrilled that it has software available so I can view the data on my computer. Being in the computer field it's comforting to know I'll be able to review data. Kind of like debugging code

What I need help with is the mask. I am acne prone, but manage to keep my face pretty much acne free by good cleaning and not touching or putting pressure on my face. I understand that there may not be much choice IF I end up being a mouth breather and need a full face mask, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with breakouts due to the masks/headgear? Is it a non issue with the materials that the masks are made of? Should I focus on nasal pillow or nasal prong masks? I've heard that with high pressure the nasal pillow/prong masks have issues, what is considered high pressure?

Thanks in advance for reading my story and for your input!

KL
Currently a “Walking Dead” in the “ Diagnosis” stage

OutaSync

Re: Into & mask questions from "walking dead" newb

Post by OutaSync » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 am

Sounds as though you are well on your way to a new life.

If you should get a nasal mask or full face mask, there are cotton gaskets that can be purchased that fit between your face and the mask. http://www.remzzzs.com/ Or you can make your own by outlining the mask on to an old T-Shirt and cutting out a space for your nose. I do this to keep the silicone from touching my face. The ones I make out of a T-Shirt are easier to wash and reuse than the store bought ones. You can probably make 50 in an hour or so and wear a fresh one every night and then throw them in a delicates bag and into the washing machine.

Good luck to you.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am

KarmicLynx wrote:Hello,

I am a complete newb at this. Though I am feeling much less of one by reading the posts. Thank you for this.
Welcome to the forum (and to your soon-to-be new life as a hosehead)!
Yesterday I got the results of the first sleep study. 99 events per hour. I've no idea where this really puts me in the scheme of sleep apnea, but they said that I was scheduled for another sleep study this time with a CPAP. It's scheduled for early next week, I am excited.
99 events per hour puts you in the "severe" category. But don't let that scare you, as the severity of your apnea doesn't always correlate to what your pressure needs will be. Someone with mild apnea may need a higher pressure than someone who's classified as severe, and vice versa. It's a very individual thing, and your next sleep study (the titration) will help determine what your needs are.
After reading many of the posts, I am sold on the S9 w humidifier. Seems like the cpap of choice, I'm also thrilled that it has software available so I can view the data on my computer. Being in the computer field it's comforting to know I'll be able to review data. Kind of like debugging code
Doing research on machines is proactive, so kudos for that. But you won't know what kind of therapy is needed until you get your diagnosis and see the results of the sleep study. Most people do well with CPAP or APAP therapy. But if, for instance, your study reveals that you're prone to having central apneas, a standard CPAP or APAP may or may not correct that; you may need a BiPAP or even a higher-end machine. It all depends on what's seen during the study.
What I need help with is the mask. I am acne prone, but manage to keep my face pretty much acne free by good cleaning and not touching or putting pressure on my face. I understand that there may not be much choice IF I end up being a mouth breather and need a full face mask, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with breakouts due to the masks/headgear? Is it a non issue with the materials that the masks are made of? Should I focus on nasal pillow or nasal prong masks? I've heard that with high pressure the nasal pillow/prong masks have issues, what is considered high pressure?
You'll find that the right mask is a very individual matter, and experimentation is always needed. I don't have a problem with acne, nor is my skin overly sensitive; but when trying a typical full-face mask, the bridge of my nose became a pimple farm pretty quickly. I now use the Hybrid mask (covers the mouth and has nasal pillows, so there's nothing going over my nose bridge) and love it. But as I said, masks are extremely individual, and what works for one person won't work for the next.

Most machines run from 4-20 cms H2O, and I think most here would consider anything above about 15cms to be in the "high" range. But it's possible to get good therapy at higher pressures with most masks. The fit is everything.

With your acne issue, I would think you'd be best off with a nasal pillows (or prongs) mask, both of which offer a small "imprint" compared to other mask styles. But Bev's suggestion above (re: making a gasket or using the Rem-zzzs) is a good one, as that would open up your options to any kind of mask that suits you.

If you're a mouth-breather and prefer a nasal mask, you'll have to either use a chinstrap (which works for some but not for everyone), tape your mouth shut (most seem to like the delicate release painter's tape), or use something like Poligrip strips to seal your lips closed. Mouth-leak with the use of any nasal mask is very counter-productive and won't give you good therapy. IMO, controlling leak is the single most important aspect of therapy.
KL
Currently a “Walking Dead” in the “ Diagnosis” stage
Hopefully, not for long!
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

KarmicLynx

Post by KarmicLynx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm definitely in a lonely place right now, even though my wife is very supportive. It's uplifting to know that there are others who have gone thru the process that I am just starting, that they are willing to discuss it, and offer suggestions/support.
Most people do well with CPAP or APAP therapy. But if, for instance, your study reveals that you're prone to having central apneas, a standard CPAP or APAP may or may not correct that; you may need a BiPAP or even a higher-end machine. It all depends on what's seen during the study.
I guess I am making an optimistic assumption that I'll be CPAP/APAP category. I really haven't done any research into BiPAP or what ever is beyond that. It's now on my list to gather info about I like to have at least cursory knowledge of a topic before having to make decisions about it.

I am intrigued at the idea of a cloth gasket or rem-zzzs. Wouldn't this cause leakage and hinder a good seal?

KL

acbaldwi

Post by acbaldwi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Welcome to the club,

As an IT person myself I know your pain.....

I started this life about a year ago and while the cpap helped immediateley it has gotten worse over the last year.....

Good news is a S9 is on it's way to me.... I think the apap is the asnwer for me...

like you I was able to sleep anywhere anytime (my friends thought it was cool) but now i am finding the reason is simply i wasn't really sleeping/.....

But i have well for the last week, perhaps it is just the anticipation of a new machine with data I can read.....

you will likely discover aerophlagia (sp) soon , just google it and don't let it scare you ....

I was up to 119 events per hour... and was down to 47 on my pulse ox before they discovered my problem

Best of luck!!!!

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 pm

KarmicLynx wrote: It's uplifting to know that there are others who have gone thru the process.KL
For me, probably the best thing about this group, when I found it,
I'm not alone in this.

KarmicLynx wrote: , that they are willing to discuss itKL
...and discuss it,
......and discuss it,
.........and discuss it.....

but that's a good thing.

KarmicLynx wrote: I am intrigued at the idea of a cloth gasket or rem-zzzs. Wouldn't this cause leakage and hinder a good seal? KL
Not so much.
Keeping the silicone off my face has made it so much more comfortable.
YMMV

Try stuff.
Use what works.
Forget what doesn't, find something that does.
Don't let any person or entity slow or prevent you
from getting what works best, for you.

Welcome!

It's your life.
It's my life.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.