Shingles!!! Get vaccinated before it is too late!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Shingles!!! Get vaccinated before it is too late!

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:02 am

See - viewtopic.php?p=1361718#p1361718

Shingles is a nasty condition! Don't wait!

TheDuke

Re: Shingles!!! Get vaccinated before it is too late!

Post by TheDuke » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:57 am

I can certainly testify that shingles is no fun. I developed an attack perhaps 30 or more years ago that was initially difficult to get diagnosed, but finally the eruptions started and I was treated with some sort of anti viral agent. Treatment helped my physical pain, but I had several weeks of eruptions and itching. Later I had the old vaccination against it, and then more recently had the SHINGRIX vaccine. Like the Chicago Grandma I most strongly urge all those who will listen to get the newest vaccine.

TheDuke

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:01 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:02 am

Suggestions about what age and vaccine to use.

In Ontario:
Zostavax II - Free to anyone over 65, otherwise $210 CAD ($160 USD)

Shingrix - cost $310 CAD ($235 USD)

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Got shingles in my early 20's, under right pectoral, very painful. (did not know what it was at the time)

Reoccurred at 62 yrs old, right side under pectoral all the way around to the back, very painful. Took pain meds and weeks worth of Lyrica. Seemed to take forever to get over it.

Reoccurred at 68 yrs old, right side under pectoral, small area. Not as painful, but bad enough.

Get vaccinated, even if you have had it before. It can come back. :(

JPB

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:01 pm
Suggestions about what age and vaccine to use.

In Ontario:
Zostavax II - Free to anyone over 65, otherwise $210 CAD ($160 USD)

Shingrix - cost $310 CAD ($235 USD)
Shingrix is harder to get (at least here in the states) but has a far higher protection rate. I think my doctor told me Zostavax is 50% to 64% effective and Shingrix (after 2 scheduled shots) is 97% effective. The CDC (which admittedly has lost a lot of cred this year) says that Zostavax isn't available since July.

Important Note: If you think you've NEVER had the chickenpox, or even if you have been vaccinated, you should still get the shingles vaccine, if you are aged 50+. The reason is that the Chicken Pox does not ALWAYS cause obvious symptoms, some simply get "the flu" (kind of like Covid-19 can present differently among people).

Regardless of whether you had Chicken Pox, even if you subsequently had the (new-ish) vaccine, you can get vaccinated for Shingles. The only reasons NOT to get it are (a) some medical condition such as allergy that makes it a problem, or (b) money ... the latter being an issue if you don't have insurance. The chicken pox vaccine, if given before you had chicken pox, does seem to protect against shingles as well, but because the chicken pox vaccine is so new (relative to us older adults) it makes sense to protect yourself.

Call your doctor ... you can't always get it right away. Get on the waiting list!

klm49

Post by klm49 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:50 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:02 am
See - viewtopic.php?p=1361718#p1361718

Good friend of mine convinced me to get vaccinated after her husband had it for about a year, couldn't sleep in a bed, nearly lost his eye sight and lost 100 lbs. It can be quite a serious disease for some.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

tyrinryan

Post by tyrinryan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:53 pm

Does the CDC recommend against the Shingrix vaccine for those who have never had chickenpox? a live product but attenuated?
What about the new Zostafax 11 for those who have never had chickenpox? Anybody heard about this one? Is it a live product too?
Last edited by tyrinryan on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Are you worried about live vaccines?
You should not be.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:48 pm

Last time I checked about 3 years ago a vaccine (no idea which one) would cost me $100 and was not covered by Medicare. Anybody had one recently and know if the cost or coverage has changed?

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:10 am

Medicare coverage for Shingrix . . . is provided only if you are enrolled in a stand-alone Part D drug plan or a Medicare Advantage plan that includes Part D drug coverage. . . . Most require a copayment, which can vary widely from plan to plan. And if you haven’t yet met your plan’s deductible for the year, you’ll likely pay the full price. For Shingrix, . . . that averages around $190 . . . You can get a shingles vaccine two ways:

• At the pharmacy. You’ll still need a doctor’s prescription . . . Use a store in your drug plan’s network so that it can bill your plan directly and you’ll owe just the copayment.

• At the doctor’s office. . . . Check whether it can bill your drug plan directly or works with a pharmacy that can do so. If so, it will work as mentioned above, with you owing a copayment. If not, you may need to pay the full cost up front and then file a claim for reimbursement from your plan. Remember that the doctor’s fee for administering the vaccine may exceed your plan’s allowable charge, in which case you’re on the hook for the difference. It pays to check beforehand.

https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-qa ... gles-shot/
Last edited by jnk... on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:59 am

tyrinryan wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:53 pm
Does the CDC recommend against the Shingrix vaccine for those who have never had chickenpox? a live product but attenuated!
What about the new Zostafax 11 for those who have never had chickenpox? Anybody heard about this one? Is it a live product too?
Don't mess around. Get Shingrix.
Even if they don’t remember having had chickenpox, they should still get the shingles vaccine ... The CDC says that doctors need not ask patients if they ever had chickenpox (or test for antibodies to it) before giving them the shingles vaccine.

The CDC says that doctors need not ask patients if they ever had chickenpox (or test for antibodies to it) before giving them the shingles vaccine.

https://www.berkeleywellness.com/self-c ... chickenpox

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:50 am

tyrinryan wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:53 pm
Does the CDC recommend against the Shingrix vaccine for those who have never had chickenpox? a live product but attenuated?
No, Shingrix is recommended unless you are allergic to it. Also, you are confused. Zostavax is live, Shingrix is recombinant, adjuvanated. Google those terms to understand better.
Here is a link comparing them: https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/d ... x-3342576/.

Zostavax has been discontinued because it is far less effective: https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/vaccination.html

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 am

Even if you "never had chicken pox", you probably had chicken pox.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:00 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 am
Even if you "never had chicken pox", you probably had chicken pox.
:lol: :lol: Truth is funnier than humor.

sptrout

Post by sptrout » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:36 pm

kteague wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:48 pm
Last time I checked about 3 years ago a vaccine (no idea which one) would cost me $100 and was not covered by Medicare. Anybody had one recently and know if the cost or coverage has changed?
If it was three years ago, then you got the old version which not considered effective. The new one is known to have some mild to not so pleasant (to put it nicely) side effects. The side effects can be so bad that my 65 year old brother's PCP told him and his wife to hold off for a while (been nearly a year). For me and my wife, no problems, not much worse than a flu shot maybe a little longer to get rid of the soreness in my arm. I would not wait!

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ