Machine too Loud

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Artcarved

Re: Machine too Loud

Post by Artcarved » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:00 am

I have the same machine and only hear noise when I turn it on. You might try getting a small stool and setting the machine on that. The machine is suppose to be on a lower level then your head so the hose does not collect moisture. I have a metal frame and keep the hose wrapped around the post. My only complaint is I'm more tired now then before using Cpap. At around 1-2pm I'll get sleepy
sitting at my computer in my office, and start to doze without realizing it. I have been on therapy since May.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:55 am

If the machine is down closer to (but not on) the floor, machine sound will not have a direct path to your ear.
This might help unless noise is in mask or hose.
I got a gurgle when I slightly over-filled the tank.

Samba

Post by Samba » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:01 am

Yes, i did that too, good idea !
chunkyfrog wrote:If the machine is down closer to (but not on) the floor, machine sound will not have a direct path to your ear.
This might help unless noise is in mask or hose.
I got a gurgle when I slightly over-filled the tank.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 am

The ResMed S9 machine is the quietest one I've ever "heard" so far.

Of course, one can still hear varying degrees of sound from mask vents and/or from vent hitting something like a person's arm or the bedcovers or bed pillow. Or simpy from inhaling, especially with nasal pillows masks.

If the machine itself is noisier than you like, you might try enclosing it in as nearly a soundproof box as you can -- being sure to make an opening in the box for air to get in.

cpap in a file cabinet drawer by oldgearhead:
viewtopic.php?t=15108

placing cpap in another room by becktrev:
viewtopic.php?t=13738

building a soundproof box:
http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/message-b ... php?t=3203

More suggestions:
viewtopic.php?t=31311
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:01 am

Okay, I got curious and decided to do a bit of experimenting. I can sometimes here a very faint change in sound when I inhale and exhale. Hard to describe but a very faint difference in pitch. My husband reports that when I am masked up with machine on and I am breathing normally he simply doesn't hear anything even if he puts his face right over my mask.

So Thursday night I turned AFlex off. Just to see if I can hear what I think I am hearing. Nope, gone. So the Flex changes can create a bit of sound difference. Now I think I am experiencing conducted noise. The difference is ever so slight but it is there. It is not enough to keep me awake but I can see where if someone was particularly sensitive to sounds that it might. BTW turning off AFlex was not one of my smarter moves. I could exhale just fine but I didn't realize how much nicer AFlex was for me. My sleep was fragmented all night and I had a ton of aerophagia yesterday morning and I never have that problem.

I read Robysue's blog about the conducted noise and I really think that in my situation this is what I was faintly hearing. I have a king size bed in a bedroom that was designed for a regular full size bed. My machine is on a table that just has to touch my mattress (no room) and isn't really lower than the bed. I had been using a small towel under the machine but last night I added a much thicker towel and turned AFlex back on. It seems to have taken care of the ever so slight change in sound when I inhale and exhale. I tried really hard and I couldn't hear it. Since this ever so slight change has not ever really bothered me I probably won't experiment any further but if it did I would. This winter I will have to do something with machine height or I will be snorting water from rain out.

The added thickness of the second towel seems to muffle any machine sounds transferred to the table and then to the mattress because of table touching the mattress. I was unwilling to remove the white fine filter to see if it made any difference. I have seen how nasty it gets where I live. I want that filter working.

If I can find a slightly smaller table to rest the machine on...and put it lower (right now at ear level) I might be able to do away with the extra towels but for now I will leave it. It doesn't really bother my sleep. Turning AFlex off sure did give me a bad night though.. So conducted noise can sure possibly be a factor especially for someone very sensitive to that sort of thing. I can see where some people might be disturb by what they perceive in their head when the machine is not really that loud.

The solution would be to experiment to find out what might limit the perceived noise. I have never used a ResMed machine so I don't know if the use of EPR would give me the same faint change when I inhale or exhale. I do think that this would be a personal thing as to whether it creates a problem or not. I prefer to muffle or limit the conducted sound and not turn off AFlex (or CFlex if that was what I was using).

These thoughts just pertain to conducted noise. Not any possible mask vent noise which could be another issue for user or partner as some masks do have more vent noise

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robie7

Post by robie7 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:32 am

my husband is having the swishing and the whistling noises on and off most of the night. it wakes us both up throughout the night and this is SUPPOSE to help him sleep! this is his 3rd machine and he got it yesterday, so don't know if it is going to start this noise or not. Hope not. but the cpap people didn't seem to find anything wrong with the old one (which isn't very old) yesterday when he took it in to them.

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:39 am

robie7 wrote:my husband is having the swishing and the whistling noises on and off most of the night. it wakes us both up throughout the night and this is SUPPOSE to help him sleep! this is his 3rd machine and he got it yesterday, so don't know if it is going to start this noise or not. Hope not. but the cpap people didn't seem to find anything wrong with the old one (which isn't very old) yesterday when he took it in to them.
Check your humidifier settings. And clear the hose of any water first. (I grab mine in the center and spin it around a large unobstructed room, flinging condensate out - first one end and then the other, and then the mask end as well). My humidifier can put out a lot of condensation if set wrong.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

robie7

Post by robie7 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:12 pm

so i don't know anything about these....where do you check if the setting is right?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Sounds to me like mask leaks or humidifier seal. Since you haven'y given us ANY information about the mask or machine, it's difficult to suggest anything specific.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:29 pm

robie7 wrote:my husband is having the swishing and the whistling noises on and off most of the night. it wakes us both up throughout the night and this is SUPPOSE to help him sleep! this is his 3rd machine and he got it yesterday, so don't know if it is going to start this noise or not. Hope not. but the cpap people didn't seem to find anything wrong with the old one (which isn't very old) yesterday when he took it in to them.
An old old thread but still relevant. I have a low tolerance for noise too... so if nothing else works, I like the earplugs which are linked below. They are moldable silicone. Each pair lasts me for 4 days or thereabouts:

http://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-Sili ... +ear+plugs

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:10 pm

One more reason to accept age-related hearing loss.
And some companies are promoting a hearing aid you LEAVE IN 24/7.