Newbie Self Diagnosis - In Denial - AHI Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Julie

Re: Newbie Self Diagnosis - In Denial - AHI Question

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:42 pm

FFMs are the obvious choice for mouth leaking, but many also use tape to seal lips and find it more effective than straps.

marktheshark

Post by marktheshark » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Like duct tape lol?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm

marktheshark wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:07 pm
Like duct tape lol?
No, like medical, or sometimes painters tape.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:37 pm

marktheshark wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm
do most people that have mouth issue with air normally go to a full face mask?
That's what they are designed for.

With your low pressure requirements, it should be easy to use a FFM.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:05 pm

marktheshark wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm

I have used a mouth guard for the last 4 nights which seemed to help but I can tell the air is still coming thru and waking me up.

I ordered a chin strap but based on reviews, they don't sound too promising.

Here's my question, do most people that have mouth issue with air normally go to a full face mask?

Right now I'm using nasal pillows and my pressure seems to be averaging around 6-7 each night.
others say that, yes, folks go to a full face mask in this situation. me, i'm contrary. because i did not want to shave off my beard( which can cause problems with leaking when using a full face mask), i went with the p 10. i also use this to keep my yap shut-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112758&st=0&sk=t&sd ... i#p1086296

this plus the cervical collar seems to do the trick for me.

but that's just me.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

marktheshark

Post by marktheshark » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the replys, I will give these ideas a try.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:55 am

I tried full face mask forever, but eventually dropped it, they just don't work well with my mouth architecture. so I tape, and use a chin strap (keeps me from leaking out of my mouth. )

As others have said lowering EPR may help centrals.. I put mine to 0 and my centrals are 0. In fact, after getting used to the pressures (I use 14 Cm) I don't even like the EPR... EPR is highly annoying to me. Everyone starts with not liking the counter pressure, most of us get used to it after a week or so.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

marktheshark

Post by marktheshark » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:44 am

Okay, little update here.

I continue to use the machine and getting more and more used to it, almost like I'm starting to like it and look forward to it lol?

What I have noticed is my Open Airway events are me waking up, I seem to have an AHI of 0.0 for the first 3-4 hours each night and then everything happens in the last 3-4 in the early morning which I have always felt like this is where I sleep the hardest and dream. So it's like my REM may come in the last few hours of the night? Thinking back over my life this seems to make sense.

So last night I backed down the EPR from 2 to 1 and noticed this morning my pressure averaged 8.8 for the whole night, this is the highest I've ever seen it, never saw it go above 7.3 before this. Still woke up a lot, still trying to adjust I guess.

I understand the machine senses the need to increase the pressure, but what can I learn when I notice a higher pressure, is the machine seeing more need for pressure because of closed airways etc? Like what's the formula behind the pressure rising?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:06 am

The job isn't getting done, for whatever reason, and while more pressure might help in many cases, that may not be what you need. You mentioned clear ("open") airway events, which in so many are a relative few just on going to sleep and when awakening, which are called sleep-wake junk, and are not true 'centrals', which would manifest in bunches throughout the night, but depending on your experience (and SH reports) you may have some of the 'real' ones and more pressure from your machine won't help. Do you have a graph of last night to show those who are better than I at interpreting?

marktheshark

Post by marktheshark » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 am

Julie wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:06 am
The job isn't getting done, for whatever reason, and while more pressure might help in many cases, that may not be what you need. You mentioned clear ("open") airway events, which in so many are a relative few just on going to sleep and when awakening, which are called sleep-wake junk, and are not true 'centrals', which would manifest in bunches throughout the night, but depending on your experience (and SH reports) you may have some of the 'real' ones and more pressure from your machine won't help. Do you have a graph of last night to show those who are better than I at interpreting?
I don't have the data card with me, but my total AHI was 1.6.

I am trying to understand why the pressure increased on its own more or less..

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 am

I don't have time to go into the details but the main driving force for the pressure when you don't see flagged OAs or hyponeas is going to be either snores or the most likely culprit....Flow Limitations.
Flow Limitations (and snores) are warning signs the airway is trying to collapse even if it doesn't collapse enough to earn a flagged event.

Post a detailed report per this format.
viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html

I wouldn't worry about the CAs/Centrals at this point. They might not be causing the awakening but instead be a post arousal symptom of an awakening.
See this and watch all the videos to better understand what I am talking about.
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software

Finally even if every single one of the flagged events was a real central...not nearly enough of them to worry about and for sure we don't worry about them if they aren't real.

More later....I gotta run....today is my mom's last chemotherapy day.....yeah.....

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

marktheshark

Post by marktheshark » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 am
I don't have time to go into the details but the main driving force for the pressure when you don't see flagged OAs or hyponeas is going to be either snores or the most likely culprit....Flow Limitations.
Flow Limitations (and snores) are warning signs the airway is trying to collapse even if it doesn't collapse enough to earn a flagged event.

Post a detailed report per this format.
viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html

I wouldn't worry about the CAs/Centrals at this point. They might not be causing the awakening but instead be a post arousal symptom of an awakening.
See this and watch all the videos to better understand what I am talking about.
http://freecpapadvice.com/sleepyhead-free-software

Finally even if every single one of the flagged events was a real central...not nearly enough of them to worry about and for sure we don't worry about them if they aren't real.

More later....I gotta run....today is my mom's last chemotherapy day.....yeah.....

Makes sense, thank you. I really hope your mom is doing better.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:10 pm

marktheshark wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:44 am

I continue to use the machine and getting more and more used to it, almost like I'm starting to like it and look forward to it lol?

What I have noticed is my Open Airway events are me waking up, I seem to have an AHI of 0.0 for the first 3-4 hours each night and t
Hold your breath for 10 seconds... That's an open airway (central) apnea... No big deal, no stress, no side effects... They're highly unlikely to wake you up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

marktheshark

Post by marktheshark » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:19 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:10 pm
marktheshark wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:44 am

What I have noticed is my Open Airway events are me waking up, I seem to have an AHI of 0.0 for the first 3-4 hours each night and t
Hold your breath for 10 seconds... That's an open airway (central) apnea... No big deal, no stress, no side effects... They're highly unlikely to wake you up.

I was just wondering if my pressure increase had anything to do with me lowering the epr.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:41 pm

marktheshark wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:19 pm
I was just wondering if my pressure increase had anything to do with me lowering the epr.
Lowering EPR effectively increases the pressure on exhale so the overall average pressure will increase. Law of numbers at work.
No big deal and nothing to worry about.
If you turned EPR off totally...the overall average would increase again because there wouldn't be any drop during exhale at all to lower any averages or numbers.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.