Dreamstation 2 cannot keep time?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpap@aidtopia.com

Dreamstation 2 cannot keep time?

Post by cpap@aidtopia.com » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:08 pm

For a few years, I had a Dreamstation. The value reported for "therapy time" always seemed to be consistent with the nightstand clock. If I started the machine at 11 pm and shut it off at 6 am when I got up the following morning, it would report 7 hours. No surprises. If I napped for another hour in the morning, that would be added to the previous night's time. If I napped for another hour in the afternoon, that would count toward the following night. I concluded the software used noon as the cutoff for therapy hours. (At least, what it thought was local noon. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, but--for a long time--my machine thought I was in the Central Time Zone.)

Philips eventually replaced my Dreamstation with a Dreamstation 2 because of the recall. At first, the "therapy hours" reported by the new machine was often correct, but occasionally (maybe once every few weeks) it seemed to shortchange me 1 hour. Twice, I noticed this happened at the end of a month. For example, if I turned on the machine at 11 pm on the last day of the month, and slept until 6 am the next morning, it would report 6 hours instead of 7. I hypothesized that the usual noon cutoff was instead midnight at month boundaries. But I was unable to collect enough data to test it.

Shortly after I developed that hypothesis, something changed. The reported therapy time is now routinely wrong, most days it reports at least an hour less than the amount of time I used the machine. And the discrepancy seems to be trending larger. I began to wonder whether there had been an over-the-air firmware update that changed how it tracks therapy time.

I mentioned this to my doctor, but he shrugged it off. The surveillance data reported to him by the machine shows that I'm sufficiently compliant, my mask fit is "100%", and my AHI is low when I'm using the machine, so he's satisfied.

Does anyone have any insight on what might be going on? I cannot seem to find any more information. Was there a firmware upgrade? It there some subtlety to how it counts therapy time?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Dreamstation 2 cannot keep time?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:42 pm

Respironics replacements!
What can go wrong--will go wrong, in newer and screwier ways.
Always using Resmed machines------PRICELESS!

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:58 pm

cpap@aidtopia.com wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:08 pm
I mentioned this to my doctor, but he shrugged it off.
As he should. (Maybe you should.)

What does OSCAR say?

Welcome to the forum!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:35 pm

If you can prove it, perhaps you should file a complaint with somebody.
But I have no clue who that would be.
There should be a government agency protecting us from faulty medical devices.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:15 pm

Ok, you're reporting a discrepancy of one hour or more when you wake up in the morning almost every morning.

Have you gone back and checked prior days (to see if the shortfall has been corrected)?

If there does appear to be a correction later, there are two possible reasons for this.

The first is that the machine is simply slow in uploading the data.

The second is that the cutoff time is not set correctly. Most CPAP machines consider a day to be from noon-to-noon, rather than midnight-to-midnight. If you're cuttof is at a strange time, it's possible that some of your sleep time is recorded in the previous or following day. If this is the case, you should show the correct number of average hours over time, even if stuff is recorded for the wrong day.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:30 pm

It would be nice if the clock could be set by the user--like in my Resmed.

Drewster

Post by Drewster » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:47 am

I'm having a very similar issue with my Resmed AirCurve 10 ST bipap machine. The usage time is continually off by an hour or so, so does not correct from day to day. How can I check/set the clock/cutoff time on my Resmed AirCurve 10? How can my AHI be correct if the usage time is incorrect?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:26 am

Drewster wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:47 am
I'm having a very similar issue with my Resmed AirCurve 10 ST bipap machine. The usage time is continually off by an hour or so, so does not correct from day to day. How can I check/set the clock/cutoff time on my Resmed AirCurve 10? How can my AHI be correct if the usage time is incorrect?
The screen shows both therapy time and run time--do not be confused.
Usage time will not match run time--ever.
Run time includes ramp and cool-down, which are not considered therapy,
and can go for up to an hour or so more than "usage".