Favorite tricks to reduce apnea WITHOUT CPAP/BIPAP etc

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
anobono

Favorite tricks to reduce apnea WITHOUT CPAP/BIPAP etc

Post by anobono » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:26 pm

What are your own most effective strategies to reduce apnea events if you don't have any machine to assist you? I have read all the general advice I found on the Internet, and that may cover it all, but I wonder what you found personally most effective.

I have severe OSA and I may have to wait up 3 months before we start/resume treatment for reasons I don't need to go into here.

I'm not looking for medical advice. I just need some tips and encouragement to deal with my apnea on my own.

zonker

Re: Favorite tricks to reduce apnea WITHOUT CPAP/BIPAP etc

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:43 pm

anobono wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:26 pm
What are your own most effective strategies to reduce apnea events if you don't have any machine to assist you? I have read all the general advice I found on the Internet, and that may cover it all, but I wonder what you found personally most effective.

I have severe OSA and I may have to wait up 3 months before we start/resume treatment for reasons I don't need to go into here.

I'm not looking for medical advice. I just need some tips and encouragement to deal with my apnea on my own.
the only thing i can thing if is not to sleep on your back. but if you DO, try to sleep in a recliner. or prop up the head of your bed.

mind you, all of this isn't really going to reduce ahi by very much. you don't say whether you have used a machine before or not. if you have, sleeping without is going to be hell, i assure you. if you haven't, then this will be business as usual.

good luck!

i see you say "start/resume", does that mean you have used the machine before?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

anobono

Post by anobono » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:52 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:43 pm
I didn't want to go into details, but I have had a failed trial with a CPAP, and the pulmonologist just ended it. It's not for me. I'll have to wait a number of months (for reasons) before we try a BiPAP ASV. So, in the meantime, I want to reduce the AHI as much as possible on my own without mechanical help.

I do fall asleep on my back, and then later in the night, I start switching between sides. So, I'll try to fall asleep on my side for a change. I used to sleep with two pillows due to acid reflux, but I control that now, so at least I've got that going for me.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:12 pm

Having and Treating Sleep Apnea, is a little like playing Russian Roulette, using the Gold Standard of positive airway pressure to keep the Apnea from happening in the first place, is the Goal. Anything less is counter productive.

Not using these methods does NOT give you the best chance to stop Apneas, is like playing Russian Roulette, your best outcome comes from NOT Playing! If you have Sleep Apnea, now is time to stop playing around with it, it's your health and others around you. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:14 pm

anobono wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:52 pm
zonker wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:43 pm
I didn't want to go into details, but I have had a failed trial with a CPAP, and the pulmonologist just ended it. It's not for me. I'll have to wait a number of months (for reasons) before we try a BiPAP ASV. So, in the meantime, I want to reduce the AHI as much as possible on my own without mechanical help.

I do fall asleep on my back, and then later in the night, I start switching between sides. So, I'll try to fall asleep on my side for a change. I used to sleep with two pillows due to acid reflux, but I control that now, so at least I've got that going for me.
didn't mean to pry, was just confused.

so yeah, this is going to be hell for you until you get that machine. this, of course, isn't the way to treat apnea. but you know that already.

i'm just typing now for the benefit of any newbie who googles this and comes here to read, thinking that you're looking for a way to beat apnea without the machine.

for those newbies: nah, man ain't gonna happen. the machine is there to blow pressure gently into your airway to open it up and keep it open. nothing, but nothing is going to substitute for that.

back to the op: again, good luck to you!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

anobono

Post by anobono » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:24 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:14 pm
Thanks for the kindness, stranger.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:32 pm

(Removed)
Too bad insurance is so backwards . . .

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:49 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:32 pm
The two conflicting terms, "failed trial", and "not for me" lead me to suspect
you may be having trouble accepting that this is the best, and ONLY treatment.

I didn't like chemotherapy, but I didn't like cancer a whole lot worse!

Once you put your mind (and finances) in the right place,
you will have the success we wish for you.
????

op says-"I'll have to wait a number of months (for reasons) before we try a BiPAP ASV."

doesn't sound like he's avoiding anything.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:50 pm

anobono wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:24 pm
zonker wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:14 pm
Thanks for the kindness, stranger.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:53 pm

In addition to the ideas of side-sleeping or in a recliner, one thing to consider is getting a soft cervical collar to help with keeping the airway open and help avoid positional apnea. They can be had for < $20 on Amazon. If interested let us know and folks can chime in on their favorites.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:58 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:53 pm
In addition to the ideas of side-sleeping or in a recliner, one thing to consider is getting a soft cervical collar to help with keeping the airway open and help avoid positional apnea. They can be had for < $20 on Amazon. If interested let us know and folks can chime in on their favorites.
oh! good answer.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

anobono

Post by anobono » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:53 pm
Interesting. I'll have to think about the cervical collar. In the meantime, my SO has a cervical pillow, and I can try it out, and regular pillows too, to see which gives me the best neck-spine position to help me sleep on my side. I might get brave and put some obstacle behind my body, as suggested on many websites, to prevent myself from rolling over on my back.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:30 pm

Is it at all possible your pulmonologist just doesn't really understand the machine well (so many doctors don't, whatever their specialty) and we've helped so many who've come here sure they can't possibly do Cpap, but need some help. And low and behold they get it (tweaking the machine, etc), so feel free to try again (same thread please) if you think there's a chance we can point the way... nothing that much to lose after all.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:30 pm

anobono wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:26 pm
By not going "into it" here it becomes a guessing game.
My guess is it has to do with insurance. So if you are willing and able to I suggest buying a used cpap either here or on craigslist. That will give you the advantage of getting used to sleeping with it w/o compliance issues and may get you thru some of the early stumbling blocks and help you find a mask that you like and works for you.

So what do you say?
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:40 pm

Guessing games can sometimes be fun.
At other times, I find them annoying.