Distilled water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lightweaver

Distilled water

Post by Lightweaver » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:46 pm

How do you store distilled water? Once you open it, does it need to go into the fridge? If I buy a big jug of distilled water, leave it on the shelf, and use it over a month or so, would it become stale or contaminated in any way? I'm thinking bacteria or mold spores from the air?
Never used distilled before.
I'm pretty sensitive to any nastiness in the air so I want to make sure the water is clean.

LSAT

Re: Distilled water

Post by LSAT » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Does not need refrigeration. It will stay clean if you keep the cover on.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:11 pm

On a little shelf under my machine on the night stand in my bedroom. I do keep the lid on the gallon of water though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:57 pm

What they said.
If it is where it could freeze, only leave about half in the jug.
That way it will not split the jug--hopefully.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:21 pm

Lightweaver wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:46 pm
How do you store distilled water? Once you open it, does it need to go into the fridge? If I buy a big jug of distilled water, leave it on the shelf, and use it over a month or so, would it become stale or contaminated in any way? I'm thinking bacteria or mold spores from the air?
I'm pretty sensitive to any nastiness in the air so I want to make sure the water is clean.
Unless the label says it's sterile, it's likely NOT sterile when it is placed on the retail shelf as it is not intended to be. And, once opened, it WILL be exposed to the same air as that which you breathe. As you decant volume into your machine, it must be replaced with room air.

BTW, distilled water is not strictly necessary. It might be better IF you have very hard water and can't properly treat it. If it's good to drink right from the tap, it's safe, and somewhat cheaper, to use in your machine's reservoir. At a $1/jug it's not a bank breaker, granted, but tap water costs you essentially nothing, not even the plastic container that will eventually end up in recycle depots or in a land fill.

You are just as likely to get 'nastiness' from the very air you breathe through the machine as you are to get it via the water poured out of the opened jug. If you want a more reliably 'safe' supply, take it right from the tap where exposure to room air is only 8" long, and as long as it takes you to snap closed the lid. Even then, all night long.............

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:04 am

Lightweaver wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:46 pm
And to add to the fun, you don't even need distilled water, it's a convenience factor to avoid build up of minerals if you don't have nice soft water.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Lightweaver

Post by Lightweaver » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 am

At the beginning, I was just using filtered tap water (we have very soft city water). Sometimes I would notice a little bit of slimy film when cleaning the container before refilling it (gross!), so I started boiling the water before use. After a while, the process of boiling and cooling the water every night got pretty annoying so I decided to try distilled. No slimy film yet, I'm hoping it won't appear as the water jug remains open.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:13 am

"convenience".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:48 am

Lightweaver wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 am
I would notice a little bit of slimy film
The slime comes from bacteria from the air we breath feeding on the minerals in tap water. Which is why distilled is recommended, even when not sterile does not (should not) contain minerals. As mentioned just do not leave the cap off the distilled bottle and you should be fine. At .89 - .99 a bottle distilled should not be a burden.

fwiw boiling does not remove those minerals.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:03 am

Distilled water won't necessarily prevent that "slime" thing either but it will delay it quite a while though.
That's a good thing since I am not known for being anal with my cleaning routine. :lol:
I am more known for my lack of cleaning routine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:16 am

SleepGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:48 am
Lightweaver wrote:
I would notice a little bit of slimy film
The slime comes from bacteria from the air we breath feeding on the minerals in tap water. Which is why distilled is recommended,
Citation?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:17 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:16 am
Citation?
I don't know what he is talking about in the air. But, some people have the following issue.
A problem that frequently results from iron or manganese in water is iron or manganese bacteria. These bacteria are not healththreatening and can occur naturally in soil, shallow groundwater, and surface water. The bacteria feed on iron and manganese in water. These bacteria form redbrown (iron) or black-brown (manganese) slime in toilet tanks and can clog pipes. These bacteria can give the water a musty or swampy smell.

https://ag.umass.edu/cafe/fact-sheets/i ... ater-wells

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:42 am

Lightweaver wrote:
No slimy film yet, I'm hoping it won't appear as the water jug remains open.
not sure what this sentence means.

why would you not put the cap back on the distilled water after use?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:03 pm

So, I have very hard tap water. Would using it instead of distilled water cause any harm to me or to my machine? Or would it just mean I'd have to clean the humidifier water tray a little more often? I'm tired of carrying the heavy bottles upstairs and would love to switch to tap water.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Deborah K. wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:03 pm
So, I have very hard tap water. Would using it instead of distilled water cause any harm to me or to my machine? Or would it just mean I'd have to clean the humidifier water tray a little more often? I'm tired of carrying the heavy bottles upstairs and would love to switch to tap water.
Won't hurt the machine itself. Will most likely cause mineral deposits in the water chamber that can get yucky looking and require cleaning if the yuck factor bugs you. Vinegar soak or lemon juice kind of cleaning will usually remove the deposits.
I have seen some donated machines with water chambers that were very obviously only ever used with tap water. The machines worked fine. The water chambers looked like hell but a good vinegar soak and a little elbow grease and they looked brand new.
In most parts of the world the manuals just mention "water"....they don't mention distilled.

The distilled recommendation is just to avoid mineral build up. That's it.