Please Help Me Adjust My Set-up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepbandit9

Re: Please Help Me Adjust My Set-up

Post by sleepbandit9 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:14 am

sleepbandit9 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 am
Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:25 am
sleepbandit9 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:02 am
I just bought a soclean too.
I don't know which brand machine you are using but you might want to read this. I think Respironics might have something similar.
You very well could void your machine warranty if you use it.
Why did you feel the need? Do you have any extra special immune issues?

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... letter.pdf

You might also want to read this

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-you-n ... in-4171650
Oh noooo! I had no idea. I just thought I would buy for convenience. I wonder if I can cancel my order.
I cancelled the order. But, they said that they offer their own coverage. I don't know. I will delay that purchase and research a bit more.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:30 am

sleepbandit9 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:14 am
But, they said that they offer their own coverage.
I believe they say they will repair any machine that fails due to the use of their machine. It may very well end up in a contest between the maker of the CPAP machine saying the damage was caused by the So Clean, and the maker of the So Clean saying it wasn't. It then becomes your responsibility to fix it or replace it.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:54 am

sleepbandit9 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:14 am
oBut, they said that they offer their own coverage. I don't know. I will delay that purchase and research a bit more.
You don't expect them to say "well, yeah, our crap product ruins machines, but we have your money, we don't care" would you? They're already using lies to scare you to into buying their crap, why would they start being honest now?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:56 am

khauser wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:29 am
Ditto, Bleep is silent for me. All I hear is the machine, and that's really quiet.
Hi khauser,

Do you have any trouble with the adhesive since you have facial hair? I have a tightly cropped beard. I'd rather not have to shave it into a weird shape to make the bleep work.

Thanks!

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:00 am

sleepbandit9 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:56 am
khauser wrote:
Ditto, Bleep is silent for me. All I hear is the machine, and that's really quiet.
Hi khauser,

Do you have any trouble with the adhesive since you have facial hair? I have a tightly cropped beard. I'd rather not have to shave it into a weird shape to make the bleep work.

Thanks!
The only place adhesive touches is the nostrils and the side of the nose, and maybe a small amount below the nose. I shave about an eight of an inch under my nose. It's not noticeable ... just gives a little extra space for the adhesive. However, I have really oily skin and have to use extra tape, so that eight of an inch I need may not even be an issue for you unless you also find some extra help is needed (that would be if the dream ports don't stick well enough on their own).

So the tl;dr version is "no" I don't have any issues because of facial hair...

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:04 am

khauser wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:00 am
sleepbandit9 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:56 am
khauser wrote:
Hi khauser,

Thanks!
The only place adhesive touches is the nostrils and the side of the nose, and maybe a small amount below the nose. I shave about an eight of an inch under my nose. It's not noticeable ... just gives a little extra space for the adhesive. However, I have really oily skin and have to use extra tape, so that eight of an inch I need may not even be an issue for you unless you also find some extra help is needed (that would be if the dream ports don't stick well enough on their own).

So the tl;dr version is "no" I don't have any issues because of facial hair...
thank you for the response. This forum has been a blessing.

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:24 pm

sleepbandit9 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:04 am

You bet! If you end up having troubles come back and talk about it. Also, talk to Stuart (CEO and support at Bleep) ... he's very helpful and honestly wants to help. He got me through the difficulties I had, and never even hinted at giving up (it took me quite some time to find a solution to the oily skin problem). His history working in CPAP labs, and his own history using CPAP, uniquely positioned him to make this happen.

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:29 am

khauser wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:24 pm
sleepbandit9 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:04 am

You bet! If you end up having troubles come back and talk about it. Also, talk to Stuart (CEO and support at Bleep) ... he's very helpful and honestly wants to help. He got me through the difficulties I had, and never even hinted at giving up (it took me quite some time to find a solution to the oily skin problem). His history working in CPAP labs, and his own history using CPAP, uniquely positioned him to make this happen.
Well, I am back. I have another issue I am dealing with. Mouth leaks. When the machine ramps up my lips sometimes are pushed open by the air. I am not a mouth sleeper. But I can feel the pressure push my lips open and it wakes me and I have to focus to close my mouth tighter. Thoughts on a chin strap, tape or asking for my machine pressure to be reduced?

I have an auto setting that ranges from 4 to 16. My mask fit is good. I can't see what I am ramping to on my report, but I do see at times on the machine screen it's 10 or 11 when my mouth pops open.

This is so frustrating. I feel like I am at the gate sleep nirvana, but keep getting tripped up. Also, I was thinking we should stop calling CPAP "therapy". We should think about Sleep Performance Supplementation. Hehe, then more people will join-in! B

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:32 am

Air is going up your nose and down your airway and prematurely entering your mouth because the back door from the oral cavity to the airway is open and this causes the pressure to back up against your lips and eventually force itself out the lips.
It can happen at any pressure....low or high. Often people complain of the cheeks being inflated as well which we call chipmunk cheeks.
If you tape your lips...your cheeks will likely inflate and that will also annoy you. You could try it though and see what happens.

You have to keep the back door closed which is easier said than done for a lot of people. Usually the tongue to the roof of the mouth trick is used but the problem is once we are asleep the tongue gets lazy and drops down and opens that back door.

So actually what we want to do is keep the air from ever entering the mouth via the back door. It is a common problem though and one that doesn't have an easy solution. There is a reflex action that normally closes the back door but the problem with reflex actions is we have no control over them. That's why they are called reflexes. I can open my mouth wide and yawn or talk or even stick out my tongue while on cpap and not have air enter my mouth. The reflex action prevents it but I can't tell you how to do it. I wish I could because if I could I could market it and buy a new truck.

Reducing the pressure settings won't necessarily fix the issue and very well could leave you with more apnea events happening.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:55 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:43 pm
Get some strap pads or make some for those side straps going over your cheeks.
The puffiness comes from the normal fluids within the skin not being able to float around or disperse well because the strap pressure sort of blocks that needed dispersal. Strap covers help diffuse the pressure and allow for the fluids to disperse more easily.
Padacheek makes some nice ones or if you are handy you can make your own.
When I used the P10 I had to use the strap covers or else I got massive bags under and over my eyes. The side I slept on was always worse as well.
https://www.padacheek.com/

Or take a look at the mask I use. Link in my profile...no straps.
So I have these sleep masks by Manta. The eye pads are removal as they are attached with Velcro. I pulled them off and added them to my P10. :lol: :lol: :lol: This will hold me over until the bleep arrives Saturday.
Attachments
Sleep Mask.jpg
Sleep Mask.jpg (663.04 KiB) Viewed 897 times

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:13 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:32 am
Air is going up your nose and down your airway and prematurely entering your mouth because the back door from the oral cavity to the airway is open and this causes the pressure to back up against your lips and eventually force itself out the lips.
It can happen at any pressure....low or high. Often people complain of the cheeks being inflated as well which we call chipmunk cheeks.
If you tape your lips...your cheeks will likely inflate and that will also annoy you. You could try it though and see what happens.

You have to keep the back door closed which is easier said than done for a lot of people. Usually the tongue to the roof of the mouth trick is used but the problem is once we are asleep the tongue gets lazy and drops down and opens that back door.

So actually what we want to do is keep the air from ever entering the mouth via the back door. It is a common problem though and one that doesn't have an easy solution. There is a reflex action that normally closes the back door but the problem with reflex actions is we have no control over them. That's why they are called reflexes. I can open my mouth wide and yawn or talk or even stick out my tongue while on cpap and not have air enter my mouth. The reflex action prevents it but I can't tell you how to do it. I wish I could because if I could I could market it and buy a new truck.

Reducing the pressure settings won't necessarily fix the issue and very well could leave you with more apnea events happening.
Thanks for that feedback! Make sense. I am gonna try a chin strap. So if my back door is closing those are like apneas? Also, I tried the bleep last night! It arrived early. I was able to get the mask with new diffuser, cleaning pads, and sticky attachments for around $60 on promotion. Anyway, it didn't solve my puffy eye situation although I found it amazingly comfortable without headgear. I think that my eye puffiness may be dryness. My right eye feels dry in the morning and throughout the day. Also, I noticed when I turned the humidity up from 4 to 5 it was less puffy and my left eye and cheek were almost perfect. However, last night with the bleep I was getting some moisture in the tube so I turned the humidity down to 4 again and my eye is more puffy and my throat is a little scratchy today. I feel like a detective trying to sort this out. Also, I tried once with no humidity and I woke with bloodshot eyes and I sneezed all day like I had severe allergies so I definitely need humidity. I guess my issues are all about comfort and appearance. I realize I am fortunate that I sleep on cpap while so many others struggle. I just don't know if I sleep better than with the Tap Appliance.

Can I increase the humidity and raise the heat to keep the tube dry?

Love you all!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:19 am

No...the back door being closed isn't airway related as in an apnea event of some sort. It's a reflex valve kind of thing similar to when you blow up a balloon and no air comes out your nose. The valve gets closed. The back door is that valve.

Yes...if you get moisture in the hose or mask from increasing the humidity then we fight that by increasing the hose air temp.
Warmer air will hold onto more moisture in the air than cooler air will hold. Simple physics really.

I prefer a high humidity setting. It's just what my nasal mucosa needs and I prefer a cooler bedroom. Prime recipe for condensation (we call it rain out) to happen in the mask or hose or both. So I have to use a higher hose air temp in the winter to prevent condensation from happening.
You can also maybe put a hose cozy on the mask short hose. That will help retain the warmth coming from the heated hose.
Easiest fix to try first...increase the hose air temp when using a heated hose. If not using a heated hose...get one.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:31 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:19 am
No...the back door being closed isn't airway related as in an apnea event of some sort. It's a reflex valve kind of thing similar to when you blow up a balloon and no air comes out your nose. The valve gets closed. The back door is that valve.

Yes...if you get moisture in the hose or mask from increasing the humidity then we fight that by increasing the hose air temp.
Warmer air will hold onto more moisture in the air than cooler air will hold. Simple physics really.

I prefer a high humidity setting. It's just what my nasal mucosa needs and I prefer a cooler bedroom. Prime recipe for condensation (we call it rain out) to happen in the mask or hose or both. So I have to use a higher hose air temp in the winter to prevent condensation from happening.
You can also maybe put a hose cozy on the mask short hose. That will help retain the warmth coming from the heated hose.
Easiest fix to try first...increase the hose air temp when using a heated hose. If not using a heated hose...get one.
Ok excellent! I realize I need humidity. I have a heated tube and I like when its warmer. It's a cozy feeling for me. At a 4 humidity last night I feel the difference down from 5. I am dry. My eyes are dry. I think this could be my main problem. I going to try increasing the humidity and heat and see how things turn out.

I do find the bleep very fascinating. I don't know I am wearing anything! Not as quiet as the P10 IMO, but if you put the hose in the right position its super quiet and no darth vadar at all. If I do hear a noise at least its constant so really doesn't bother me. The only negative is I have to trim my beard down around my nose and I think that looks weird. But, I can see how the bleep is a game changer. You literally forget you're wearing anything.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:39 am

If you continue to have dry eye issues you might want to get with your doctor (eye doctor) about it because there is a rare situation where air in the nasal cavity actually travels up the lacrimal ducts to dry out the eyes. There is a remedy for this though.

Did you get the diffuser with your Bleep? The bikini thong thing? If not...you can take a ResMed cpap machine filter and put it up next to the vent holes and diffuse the vented air so that it isn't annoying or loud. Example is shown in the Bleep review thread.

Can't help with the hair trimming thing but you shouldn't need to trim much hair around the nostrils because the bulk of the adhesive goes up the sides of the nostrils. Very little below the nostrils.

sleepbandit9

Post by sleepbandit9 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:30 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:39 am
If you continue to have dry eye issues you might want to get with your doctor (eye doctor) about it because there is a rare situation where air in the nasal cavity actually travels up the lacrimal ducts to dry out the eyes. There is a remedy for this though.

Did you get the diffuser with your Bleep? The bikini thong thing? If not...you can take a ResMed cpap machine filter and put it up next to the vent holes and diffuse the vented air so that it isn't annoying or loud. Example is shown in the Bleep review thread.

Can't help with the hair trimming thing but you shouldn't need to trim much hair around the nostrils because the bulk of the adhesive goes up the sides of the nostrils. Very little below the nostrils.
Yes, got the thong bikini with the bleep. I do think the air is blowing up into my tear duct. Although I don't feel it when I am lying down. Good to know on the adhesive. I will practice on the attachment. Last night I would with everything off my face. The sticky ports and the tube disconnected. LOL. I put new ports on and they stayed put. CPAP Adventures Day 17!