Feeling heartbeat through my mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
manlymutt

Feeling heartbeat through my mask

Post by manlymutt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:53 pm

I'm having a hard time getting used to my CPAP. I've tried several masks and have finally found a couple that aren't as bad as the others. Infact, at first I'm like okay this feels weird but I can get used to it and get to sleep. Then I start feeling my heartbeat in my mask. Similar to when I wear my oximeter. This absolutely starts freaking me out. I've had and still have some milk anxiety and when that happens it reminds me of my heart palpitations I have and start freaking out. Had anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it? My Apnea score is 52.8. My sleep is so bad I'm basically a zombie during the entire day. I can't focus or enjoy life, so I'm really desperate to get this to work.

rcobourn

Re: Feeling heartbeat through my mask

Post by rcobourn » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:21 pm

manlymutt wrote:I'm having a hard time getting used to my CPAP. I've tried several masks and have finally found a couple that aren't as bad as the others. Infact, at first I'm like okay this feels weird but I can get used to it and get to sleep. Then I start feeling my heartbeat in my mask. Similar to when I wear my oximeter. This absolutely starts freaking me out. I've had and still have some milk anxiety and when that happens it reminds me of my heart palpitations I have and start freaking out. Had anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it? My Apnea score is 52.8. My sleep is so bad I'm basically a zombie during the entire day. I can't focus or enjoy life, so I'm really desperate to get this to work.
Speak with your prescribing doctor about an anti-anxiety medication to take before sleep. You should only need it temporarily as you get used to the mask.

manlymutt

Post by manlymutt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:27 pm

[/quote]Speak with your prescribing doctor about an anti-anxiety medication to take before sleep. You should only need it temporarily as you get used to the mask.
[/quote]

So it's probably an anxiety thing? I was hoping it was something else. Unfortunately I've tried numerous anxiety meds in the past and nothing has helped. I've had to use cognitive skills to keep my anxiety at bay. Hopefully I can find a technique with the mask. It's weird because I dont feel anxious with it on. I only get anxious when it starts pulsating like my heart and that's when it freaks me out. I was hoping it was something else that needed adjusted or something.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:29 pm

could you stay to one thread, please? makes it easier to keep track.

in the other thread-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=180336&p=1366030#p1366030

you were advised about changing your settings yourself.

did that happen?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

manlymutt

Post by manlymutt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Sorry I started a different thread because it was a different subject or so I had thought? Yes, I changed the settings. Thankfully I have a higher pressure and it feels much better than before. This is a new issue so I thought it shouldn't be put in the old thread.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:25 pm

Actually it is probably more ideal for newbies to put all their questions and problems in one thread for a little while so we can glance back and see what else has been going on. Often there are multiple questions about various things and it's really all tied to being more new than anything else. Now 6 months from now...new and different questions might warrant a new thread but for now it's better if all your random appearing questions and thoughts are consolidated in one thread.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:46 pm

manlymutt wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:16 pm
Sorry I started a different thread because it was a different subject or so I had thought? Yes, I changed the settings. Thankfully I have a higher pressure and it feels much better than before. This is a new issue so I thought it shouldn't be put in the old thread.
as pugsy said.

also, if you want to get finicky about it, you can edit any of your posts titles when the subject changes. you could change it to "manlymutt's therapy thread" if you wish. that way you could rest easier about putting different questions in it.

the important part is that folk can see your history and not waste your time answering questions you've already answered.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

manlymutt

Post by manlymutt » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks all. I will make sure any future information is put in that thread.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:15 pm

How about trying the mask/ machine setup during the day or evening when youdoing something like reading or watching TV? Notice every so often whether you’re getting that pulsing feeling. Just pay neutral attention to it then go back to your book or your show.

Just a thought. I think it’s easier to do that kind of stuff when it isn’t dark and you’re not lying there wanting so badly to sleep but getting hijacked by a sensation. The noticing/not worrying routine can be of some help in getting you out of your night-time rut.

One much more practical question—is your mask too tight?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/