Leak Rate, Alarm, Stopped Breathing? and Resp. Rate,?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tonawanda

Leak Rate, Alarm, Stopped Breathing? and Resp. Rate,?

Post by Tonawanda » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 am

Last night I had significant issues with my mask seal. I believe my mask fit and seal are good. Attached is a 30 day summary of my leak rates. I've also been working hard to stay on my side to reduce the AHI. I think I may be turning my face into the pillow dislodging the mask. Obviously I need to correct that problem. Last night the alarm went off on the machine. It has gone off a few times, and according to my wife on one occasion a very long time without awakening me. I presume the alarm was caused by a leak rate by me dislodging the mask, but it also felt to me like I was awakened from a very deep sleep and had stopped breathing. My mouth was closed and felt sort of paralyzed. Not likely, right? I guess I could have involuntarily holding my breath too. I don't know if I stopped breathing or dislodged the mask.

I looked at last's night report (attached) and saw a very erratic and what appears to me to be a very high Resp.numbers. Looking at the rate for most other days, the rate seems to be range between 12, to 20 with spikes as high as 40. Attached is a 8-15 detail report also. I don't know how to read the chart to determine the actual breathes per minute.

Any ideas or explanations would be appreciated.
Attachments
8-15.PNG
8-15.PNG (138.47 KiB) Viewed 25876 times
30 Day Leak Rate.PNG
30 Day Leak Rate.PNG (68.82 KiB) Viewed 25876 times
8-17.PNG
8-17.PNG (161.9 KiB) Viewed 25876 times

ChicagoGranny

Re: Leak Rate, Alarm, Stopped Breathing? and Resp. Rate,?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi, I think you may be right about a one-time either mask dislodgement (? word :D ) and/or some other random thing that may never occur again. Nothing is terribly 'off' to look at otherwise. Could the weather be affecting things there? It's just that a one-time glitch is not reliable for anything much and I wouldn't be very concerned unless it continues to happen. Your numbers are ok apart from the above and I'd wait and see if anything repeats. PS if you post again, get rid of the calendar.
Last edited by Julie on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Tonawanda wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 am
Last night I had significant issues with my mask seal. I believe my mask fit and seal are good. Attached is a 30 day summary of my leak rates. I've also been working hard to stay on my side to reduce the AHI. I think I may be turning my face into the pillow dislodging the mask. Obviously I need to correct that problem. Last night the alarm went off on the machine. It has gone off a few times, and according to my wife on one occasion a very long time without awakening me. I presume the alarm was caused by a leak rate by me dislodging the mask, but it also felt to me like I was awakened from a very deep sleep and had stopped breathing. My mouth was closed and felt sort of paralyzed. Not likely, right? I guess I could have involuntarily holding my breath too. I don't know if I stopped breathing or dislodged the mask.
The mask alarm on most of the S9 machines is pretty anemic, if it's not waking you up, then maybe (for your wife's sake) just turn it off, and sleep through the leaks. (assuming they don't bother her too).

Without zooming in closer, there's no way to tell if you stopped breathing... but that's an entirely different thing than leaks.
Tonawanda wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 am
I looked at last's night report (attached) and saw a very erratic and what appears to me to be a very high Resp.numbers. Looking at the rate for most other days, the rate seems to be range between 12, to 20 with spikes as high as 40. Attached is a 8-15 detail report also. I don't know how to read the chart to determine the actual breathes per minute.
sleepyhead screws up the RR sometimes, without zooming in on the flow rate chart and looking at the breaths, it's just guesswork. maybe you had really high RR, maybe you just had ragged breathing and SH screwed up counting.

I was looking at someone's data this evening, SH was saying the RR was up to 50. zooming in, I could see what is probably cardiac pulses in the airflow, and every time that crossed over the zero line, SH counted it as a breath, while the actual RR was only 16.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tonawanda

Post by Tonawanda » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:23 pm
Thanks

Tonawanda

Post by Tonawanda » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 am

Julie wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:40 pm
Hi, I think you may be right about a one-time either mask dislodgement (? word :D ) and/or some other random thing that may never occur again. Nothing is terribly 'off' to look at otherwise. Could the weather be affecting things there? It's just that a one-time glitch is not reliable for anything much and I wouldn't be very concerned unless it continues to happen. Your numbers are ok apart from the above and I'd wait and see if anything repeats. PS if you post again, get rid of the calendar.
"Dislodgement" Well, my head did dislodge the mask. :lol: English teacher? Calendar - Ok, I will.

Not sure about the connection to the weather.

Thanks for your response.

Tonawanda

Post by Tonawanda » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:49 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm
sleepyhead screws up the RR sometimes, without zooming in on the flow rate chart and looking at the breaths, it's just guesswork. maybe you had really high RR, maybe you just had ragged breathing and SH screwed up counting.

I was looking at someone's data this evening, SH was saying the RR was up to 50. zooming in, I could see what is probably cardiac pulses in the airflow, and every time that crossed over the zero line, SH counted it as a breath, while the actual RR was only 16.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, the RR was primarily what I was interested in.
Last edited by Tonawanda on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tonawanda

Post by Tonawanda » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 am

palerider wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm

[/quote]

Flow Rate enlarged during a shorter period of time.
Attachments
Flow Rate.PNG
Flow Rate.PNG (81.32 KiB) Viewed 25784 times

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 am

You have to zoom in far enough to see individual breath shapes.

Like here's a complete SH fail, it's showing over 50 RR, but .... it's clearly not, it's just that every time the flow crosses zero, SH is counting a breath, even though there aren't any breaths... just very slight waverings in the flow.

Real RR is around 16.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.