Which of these two BiPAP's are the best?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kkcacker

Which of these two BiPAP's are the best?

Post by Kkcacker » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:41 pm

I've been using a BiPAP for the last five years and it works great for me. It is a ResMed BiPap VPAP ST. Since it's five years old, I need to get a new one and these are the two I am considering.… 1-ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV w/HumidAir Humidifier MPN: 37215 or 2-Phillips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP AVAPS machine with humidifier. I would prefer to stay with the ResMed. I know it's got good reviews. I am a quadriplegic and my settings for my BiPAP are 10/5 with a backup rate of 8. Thanks in advance for any opinions or reviews of these two machines.

palerider

Re: Which of these two BiPAP's are the best?

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Kkcacker wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:41 pm
I've been using a BiPAP for the last five years and it works great for me. It is a ResMed BiPap VPAP ST. Since it's five years old, I need to get a new one and these are the two I am considering.… 1-ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV w/HumidAir Humidifier MPN: 37215 or 2-Phillips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP AVAPS machine with humidifier. I would prefer to stay with the ResMed. I know it's got good reviews. I am a quadriplegic and my settings for my BiPAP are 10/5 with a backup rate of 8. Thanks in advance for any opinions or reviews of these two machines.
only one is a "bipap" since only Respironics makes the brand name "BiPAP".

Resmed ASV machines are better than Respironics,

But, your settings, and what you have, are not compatible with *EITHER* of the bilevel machines you mention.

So, *WHY* are you on a Resmed VPAP ST? and which of the many different generations of the VPAP ST do you have?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:14 pm

I see that Kkcacker says this: "I am a quadriplegic and my settings for my BiPAP are 10/5 with a backup rate of 8."

Kkcacker, I'm going to guess that your having the ST machine is related to the quadriplegia. Do I have the right picture? I can't answer your question, but I'm hoping pr or another expert will be able to help if you can provide a little more information.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Do you use the current machine 24/7 or only at night?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jbgilm

Post by jbgilm » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:24 pm

I don't think the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV is a bipap. I had a bipap that was a Resmed Aircurve10. I just picked up a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV today to help treat my central sleep apnea.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:34 pm

Kkcacker wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:41 pm
I would prefer to stay with the ResMed.
I tend to lean toward recommending the brand ResMed any time that treating sleep comfortably is the primary goal, if someone has a choice. Especially when it comes to forms of bilevel for sleep. But I believe that other treatment goals may present arguments for other brands.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:40 pm

jbgilm wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:24 pm
I don't think the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV is a bipap. I had a bipap that was a Resmed Aircurve10. I just picked up a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV today to help treat my central sleep apnea.
It is indeed a bilevel machine...the AirCurve 10 ASV.

It isn't a "bipap" because the only real "bipaps" are Respironics bilevel machines. BiPap is a trademark marketing name used only by Respironics.

ResMed uses AirCurve name for their bilevel machines.

Now the AirCurve 10 ASV might not be suitable for someone who needs bilevel all the time because of needing forced ventilation like someone who is quadrapalegic and needs forced ventilation with every breath. Which is why we asked why he was using the ST model...it gives forced ventilation with every breath.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:37 am

I don't think the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV is a bipap.
Correct, because it's not made by Respironics
I had a bipap that was a Resmed Aircurve10.
No, you didn't, because it wasn't made by Respironics, you're just muddying the waters
I just picked up a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV today to help treat my central sleep apnea.
Good luck.

ALL Resmed "AirCurve" or "VPAP" machines are "bilevel",

Last edited by palerider on Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:19 pm

Many sources, including CPAP.com, use the terms bilevel and bipap interchangeably as synonyms, since the "bi" in "bipap" stands for bilevel:

https://www.cpap.com/blog/difference-bipap-cpap/
https://www.rtmagazine.com/disorders-di ... tion-copd/

Bipap has become a generic term to the extent that I choose not to be a stickler for how people refer to BPAP. My choice. I realize there are other choices.

"NO! It's NOT a KLEENEX, Grandma. So stop saying that. It's a TISSUE, dang it!!!!"

I say, don't confuse the (t)issue. Let Grandma call it what she wants to call it, please. No need to confuse people by over-clarifying.

Hey, just me. Or, actually not just me:
You might benefit from bilevel positive airway pressure. It is commonly known as “BiPap” or “BPap.”--https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... pies/bipap
The term BiPAP® is a registered trademark held by Respironics, Inc., but is widely used to describe any bilevel positive airway pressure device.--https://www.bluecrossnc.com/sites/defau ... evices.pdf
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:37 pm

I prefer to use correct terminology whenever possible to avoid potential confusion later.
Like from the poster who said that the AirCurve 10 ASV wasn't a bipap. It is indeed a bilevel but of course not a "bipap"...technically.
With the statement as it stood though...it made it sound like the ASV wasn't a bilevel either.
I do realize that the term "bipap" has become sort of a generic term for all bilevel machines but that doesn't mean I have to use it that way or that I like it. :lol:
Obviously cpap.com can call things whatever they want to call them but that doesn't make it technically correct and I like to be as technically correct as possible.
I will admit to being a bit anal about a few things. And that is one of them.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:55 pm

I don't mind people being anal. I just mind people berating other people for not being equally as anal.

Clarification is great. Forcing non-pros to talk like pros on a public board strikes me as unwelcoming to non-pros, especially when even many pros are good at focusing on the actual questions people ask instead of confusing the issue by taking the opportunity to be picky about correcting those who do not use exact terminology to someone's preference.

In other words, I'm not anal about anal people as long as they aren't anal about other people not being anal. Which is what I am anal about.

Thus the Kleenex anal-ogy. If someone asks a question about snot, the question is what should be focused on and wiped away, in my opinion, though too often it's snot, I mean, too often it's not.

I love reading, "Just so you know, there are several names for bilevel, such as bpap, bipap, and vpap, which may help you when you research it in the literature or on google." I hate reading, "You IDIOT! You said BiPAP when anyone with half a brain knows you should have said BILEVEL."

Just what I like. Because I'm a big softy with no backbone or anything.

Now back to our regularly scheduled fights, oops, I mean programs.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:25 pm

jnk... wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:55 pm
I hate reading, "You IDIOT! You said BiPAP when anyone with half a brain knows you should have said BILEVEL."
And on that point I agree with you which is why when you see me correct the terminology that is all I do.
I correct the misinformation and move on. I figure it's up to the recipient to learn or not learn and I won't use a 2 x 4 to beat it in.
I try real hard not to insinuate "you are an idiot" and it's obviously never my intention or on my mind but I will admit sometimes I am rather abrupt with what I say and it might sound like I am swinging that 2 X 4.
Now if they argue with me....totally different story and my claws come out. :lol:

I cannot dictate how other people talk though. You know how Johnny feels about censorship. We both have to accept it and move on.
I don't go there.

bombayone

Post by bombayone » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks JNK - great comments.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:32 pm

Pugsy wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:25 pm
I will admit sometimes I am rather abrupt with what I say and it might sound like I am swinging that 2 X 4.
If I ever notice you doing that or being that, I will speak up as a friend and admirer. I hope you would do the same for me. (Point out my abruptness that is, not admire. :lol: I wouldnt ask that of anyone but my wife. Ask, not get.) Feel free to call me out publicly as a favor to me. I would not consider that censorship from you.
Pugsy wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:25 pm
if they argue with me....totally different story and my claws come out.
I try really hard to find things to argue with you about. I usually fail. Can you do me a favor and try to be just a little more controversial? TIA. Claws make me chuckle. Depending on the manicure.

Going now to check the Frigidaire. (Stop it Grandpa, that is a registered trademark, not a generic term! I know because I Googled it.) Now, sonny, don't say you "Googled" it. You search-engined it.
Last edited by jnk... on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:47 pm

On the surface, the BiPAP/BiLevel, Kleenex/Tissue analogy looks similar, but it has it's problems.

One of the problems is created because inaccurate terminology can return inaccurate results in our search engine driven Information Age. Simply put, when researching or trying to get information about "BiLevel" treatment, searching for "BiPAP" often excludes a lot of good information. This can be especially problematic because a lot of the more accurate articles use proper terminology such as "BiLevel" and not "BiPAP" and will naturally have a lower search ranking"

A second problem is, many novices simply don't accept that AirCurves give proper "BiLevel" treatment. I can recall a few topics where novices were specifically avoiding AirCurves because they believed they needed BiPAP devices. One topic, a novice believed he received the wrong machine because he got an AirCurve and believed he needed a BiPAP.
jnk... wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:55 pm
I hate reading, "You IDIOT! You said BiPAP when anyone with half a brain knows you should have said BILEVEL."
You know what's common pretty common around here, references to some calling others idiots (or some other unflattering name), simply because they don't know something.

You know what's not very common around here, people actually calling someone an idiot (or some other unflattering name), simply because they don't know something.

Some people are simply short, they use few words. It is then interpreted to be harsh or mean, and then later evolves into, I hate reading, 'You IDIOT!...."

Just for fun I did a board search for the term "idiot". There is a fair amount of discussion about the term idiot, a few references of third-party, non-forum members as idiots, but the attacks on newbies, simply isn't happening.