Distilled Water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JLROhio

Re: Distilled Water

Post by JLROhio » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Something else to think about that has not been mentioned - of course, I don't know if it applies to river cruises (are we actually talking about a luxurious European River "Cruise" or something more akin to the African Queen trip (for those old enough to recall that movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnHgAPs ... ssicMovies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7_vnpQ ... tleWaspAnt

Anyways, back to BOATS & SHIPS...

Most modern-day boats and ships make their own water using either steam distillation or reverse osmosis; using the abundant supply of what they are sailing on.
They may add some chlorine (and other chemicals) to the water so that nothing grows in the water tanks onboard - similar to what most cities and towns do.

Don't bother bringing your own water - you can use the ship's water, which probably does not have any minerals in it (or bottled water), for the first few nights - and you can always get some distilled water (I would think) at some of your port calls. As someone else mentioned, you're not the first to bring a CPAP machine on board - I'm sure the cruise line gets asked for distilled water all the time...reach out to your travel agent or the cruise line and ask!
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:48 pm

GregX wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:19 pm
In a CPAP application the big issue with less than pure water is plugging the machine with mineral deposits or encouraging fungus growth. Zero Water System directly addresses both those issues.
Spoken like someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

You get commission or something?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 pm

zoomzoom wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm
I had to use tap water. After a couple days, I noticed that I would wake up coughing more often than not. Got rid of that water chamber, and then found some distilled water. I went back to normal.
The power of delusion is strong with this one...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 am

If you can safely drink the water, it can be used in your humidifier.
One of these days, I may test how carbonated water works.
Maybe I'll dream of a champagne bubble bath.

Nooblakahn

Post by Nooblakahn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:01 am

[/quote]
How is it possible that stores run out of distilled water when everyone just hates it?
And every time its mentioned on here its like the Hatfield and McCoys and worse than politics.
[/quote]

The only store that carries it in my small town is Walmart. And I can assure you that were out for at least two weeks when the panic buying from covid first started.

I did not run out. The larger town 30 minutes west of us had it in abundance. I bought something like three gallons... And it was easy to find at my local Walmart by the time I ran out again.

It's odd... But certainly possible.

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:44 am

Nooblakahn wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:01 am
It's odd... But certainly possible.
I am like you...small town and WalMart is pretty much my only choice unless I want to do a bit of driving which normally I don't want to do.
I am still seeing periodic and random items being depleted at my WalMart which is a small store anyway. It's a standing joke with us that if you try something new from them and like it and want to get some more that there will be an empty spot in the shelves where it should be ....for a long time and/or it might never be brought back.

Early in the pandemic all bottled water was depleted and even now sometimes the shelves get a bit bare. I am not going to drive all over the place just for distilled water though. And I am not going to make 3 or 4 trips into town just to check to see if any more deliveries have happened. I will just use tap water in a pinch and realize that if I use it very long then I get to clean the water chamber with vinegar or lemon juice. It's not the end of the world by any way, shape or form to use tap water even if it is laden with minerals like my tap water from a well is.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:45 am

Imagine your water was FULL of minerals ... the hardest water possible without being a rock (LOL) ...

Even in this case, the humidity part does NOT carry the solids ... only water vapor, because the solids do NOT dissolve.

Maybe you have the experience of using a humidifier. They clearly put tons of water in to the atmosphere (OK, a slight overstatement, you get the point). Somehow the minerals don't accumulate anywhere except the heating element. The heat source is where the minerals come out of solution.

So in a CPAP humidifier, which uses FAR less water, the minerals will also come out of solution on the heating plate. That's the only place you'll find concern, and cleaning it regularly will solve the problem.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:03 am

GregX hasn't been back since posting his advertisement for Zero water..
I doubt he wants help with cpap and he accomplished his primary goal.....free advertising for Zero water.

Just remember that when you guys continue to respond to him....
I didn't remove the post because it has educational value because we see this sort of crap all the time but we really need to try not to feed the trolls if at all possible and that's all that shills are...trolls in sheep's clothing.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:19 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 am
If you can safely drink the water, it can be used in your humidifier.
One of these days, I may test how carbonated water works.
Maybe I'll dream of a champagne bubble bath.
and a-one and a-two....
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 pm
zoomzoom wrote:
I had to use tap water. After a couple days, I noticed that I would wake up coughing more often than not. Got rid of that water chamber, and then found some distilled water. I went back to normal.
Think what you want.

When I was using tap water, it would leave significant rough patches on my chamber since I would not do regular cleaning.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 am

It is no less work to clean my humidifier chamber than it is to de-lime the distiller.
The main difference is the bullfrog does it for me.
He will not touch my cpap, but happily brews jug after jug of water for me.
It is cheaper and more reliable than store-bought, and nearly zero hauling.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 am

zoomzoom wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 am
palerider wrote:
zoomzoom wrote:
Think what you want.

When I was using tap water, it would leave significant rough patches on my chamber since I would not do regular cleaning.
Reread what palerider quoted.

He wasn't commenting on the fact that tap water would leave more residue, he's commenting on your belief that tap water was the cause of your coughing. You having experienced more coughing, while using tap water is anecdotal at best, perhaps coincidental or influenced by placebo.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:08 pm

zoomzoom wrote:
palerider wrote:
zoomzoom wrote:
Think what you want.
Speaking of yourself :)
zoomzoom wrote:
Of course, the minerals in the water are left behind in the tank, and need to be dissolved now and then with an acid rinse.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 pm

Do we really expect everyone to have the identical experiences in life that we have had?

If someone is happy using distilled water why is that a BIG deal?

Is this supposed to be a "Helping Thread"?
Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 am
Reread what palerider quoted.

He wasn't commenting on the fact that tap water would leave more residue, he's commenting on your belief that tap water was the cause of your coughing
. You having experienced more coughing, while using tap water is anecdotal at best, perhaps coincidental or influenced by placebo.
palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:08 pm
zoomzoom wrote:
palerider wrote:
zoomzoom wrote:
Think what you want.
Speaking of yourself :)
zoomzoom wrote:
Of course, the minerals in the water are left behind in the tank, and need to be dissolved now and then with an acid rinse.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:30 pm

Whatever trips your trigger, makes you happy, feeds Landrew, etc.