Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:54 pm

Deborah K. wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:43 am
they are made to go in your mouth, so they are definitely safe to use.
Philips foam is definitely safe to go into your lungs. :wink:
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:02 pm

Granny, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Gfox

Post by Gfox » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:15 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:34 pm
Gfox wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:26 am
I have tried out various tapes and this here is HANDS-down the best I have tried (to fully seal your mouth)
Well, it's not a very good tape if,
Gfox wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:26 am
you want to lower your humidity (best start out with none and then increase slowly again) since it can loosing up the glue and lead to mouth leaks.
... the user has to do that.
I think those are two different topics -- one is the tape itself (e.g., does it last the whole night, does it seal properly, does not leave residue, is it cheap/expensive etc.) and whether the humidity might affect the tape. Ideally, the tape has all the key properties, and the tape glue is not bothered by high humidity, when used. In my experience it's important to have a proper lasting seal --- I used various tapes and it took me a while to realize that there are leaks coming through the tape even though it appeared to seal well initially and even in the morning. Glue in terms of residue on skin can be a super pain to get rid of in the morning and many tapes do leave that for me. Again, in my experience, when the system seals properly, I do feel like the need for humidity is quite low actually (went from 6 to 1 in that regard). No escaping air means no dry mouths at night, but I realize everybody is different in this regard. Just the fact that humidity can affect tape performance is a key I did not realize for a while ... :)

Gfox

Post by Gfox » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:21 pm

Deborah K. wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:25 pm
Thanks Gfox. I think that is about the same as the Hypafix tape I bought and HATED. It hurt like crazy (for me, the wimp) to remove.
Interesting --- seeing that Hypafix tape now. It's definitely the same manufacturer but that product name does not appear on my tape. It is not horrible to remove in my opinion (if you leave a little ear to grab it) but it might indeed be the same tape after all...

Gfox

Post by Gfox » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:37 pm

Gfox wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:21 pm
Deborah K. wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:25 pm
Thanks Gfox. I think that is about the same as the Hypafix tape I bought and HATED. It hurt like crazy (for me, the wimp) to remove.
Interesting --- seeing that Hypafix tape now. It's definitely the same manufacturer but that product name does not appear on my tape. It is not horrible to remove in my opinion (if you leave a little ear to grab it) but it might indeed be the same tape after all...
Looked a bit closer and it seems to be a different product:
https://medical.essityusa.com/brands/wo ... ation.html
Hypafix is apparently used where flexibility is needed, whereas cover-roll is less flexible. Not sure if that makes a difference after all .. 

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:53 pm

Quote from Gfox - "Hypafix is apparently used where flexibility is needed, whereas cover-roll is less flexible. Not sure if that makes a difference after all."

Yeah, the stretch v. non-stretch is there, but my guess is that they use the same glue on both. And that glue is a no-go for me.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:05 pm

A tip to all tapers, don't pull tape off; peel it back.

Jimmy Lotus

Post by Jimmy Lotus » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:13 am

I'm going to try 3M Micropore tape for my mouth-breathing issues. I used this tape for dressing a diabetic foot ulcer for about 8 months and it was far and away the best dressing tape I'd found.
It's a paper tape that adheres well but peels off without doing damage to your skin, if done correctly.
Leave a folded-over tab on one end to facilitate this. Go slow and peel at a 180-degree angle from how the tape lays.
It's $8.97 for a 12-pack of 1" x 10yd rolls on Scamazon.

rest.is.key

Post by rest.is.key » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:36 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:21 am
I used Poli-grip strips a while back.
They work very well, but I got out of the habit.
I cut each strip in half lengthwise, then each piece in half crosswise,
leaving short narrow pieces.
I would then put two of them on my wet lips, leaving a space between them.
Spit activates the adhesive, but they remove easily in the morning.
I need to try them again, as my mouth is not as wet as it was then.
Once, I woke up with one on my cheek.
It can be a fine line between glue and lube. :shock:
I'm with you. Those poligrip/polydent strips work well.
Easy to apply and hold well

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:23 am

Jimmy Lotus wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:13 am
I'm going to try 3M Micropore tape for my mouth-breathing issues. I used this tape for dressing a diabetic foot ulcer for about 8 months and it was far and away the best dressing tape I'd found.
It's a paper tape that adheres well but peels off without doing damage to your skin, if done correctly.
Leave a folded-over tab on one end to facilitate this. Go slow and peel at a 180-degree angle from how the tape lays.
It's $8.97 for a 12-pack of 1" x 10yd rolls on Scamazon.
That was not at all my experience with Micropore paper tape on my lips.
I had to use Baby Oil to remove it, and even then it sometime abraded the skin near my lips (I put ChapStick on my lips to protect them). I haven't touched the Micropore paper tape since I discovered the CoverRoll and the silicone tapes.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Gfox

Post by Gfox » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:04 pm

Used the 3M micropore as well for a while but leaves horrible residue that's hard to get rid of.
And it does not seal as well on my shaven face.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:28 pm

The Poligrip strips don't go in as well as I would like. Because they are straight and my mouth is not, I always end up with a not-obvious space that lets a lot of air leak out. I'm going to try a couple of different brands that are curved already, then cut them to fit me snugly. I'm hopeful that they will work better for me. I can't figure out why they work for others so well, but not for me. Maybe I'm just clumsy putting them in place. :roll: :oops:

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:30 pm

Gfox wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:04 pm
Used the 3M micropore as well for a while but leaves horrible residue that's hard to get rid of.
And it does not seal as well on my shaven face.
Yes. I forgot to mention the residue. That too.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Lucky7

Post by Lucky7 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:47 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:20 pm
I use sleep strips x-tape. Works great for me. https://www.amazon.com/Transparent-Slee ... ef=sr_1_26

When removing them, don't pull them off. Peel them back.
I'm going to check these out, thanks!

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:14 am

ChicagoGranny uses the X strips when sleeping with a Full Face Mask.

The leaks you get with a FFM can't be compared in any way with those you get when you use nasal masks or pillows masks.
I simply can't use a pillows mask without taping my mouth, because the pressurizes air rushing from my mouth to non-pressurized room air dries my mouth horribly - and the slightest opening in the tape can make things real bad.

With a full face mask, the pressure in the mask is the same as the pressure in my mouth - I don't even need tape when using a FFM.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery