Nasal Pillow Masks (Nasal tube)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
erolalper

Nasal Pillow Masks (Nasal tube)

Post by erolalper » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:48 am

Hello, I have a Philips Dreamwear mask with a top tube. But for some reasons I want to change it. First of all, the sound of air circulation above me bothers me all night long. (or so it seems to me) I want to switch to a mask with a nasal tube (e.g. piced p10). I can sleep in any position I want with my current mask. Since the hose is on my head, it does not cause any problems when turning left and right. However, considering a mask with a nose tube, I can more or less predict the position of the tube when turning left and right. It will have to go over my cheek or over my shoulder, so I wonder if that won't bother me? Of course, this is not a problem if you are lying towards the device, but what will the experience be like when you turn your back to the device? If anyone uses it, can they share it? I researched this issue a lot, but as if everyone had agreed, they never mentioned this issue or I never saw anyone sleeping with their back to the device in the videos :) Thank you.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Nasal Pillow Masks (Nasal tube)

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:44 am

I always sleep better with my good ear buried in the pillow.
I can still hear the train whistles--but the engines are muffled.
However, my cpap is almost silent.
So, it depends on your hearing and sensitivity to noise.
Some folks will always need extraordinary means to attain peace.
Good luck getting there!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:22 am

erolalper wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:48 am
It will have to go over my cheek or over my shoulder, so I wonder if that won't bother me? Of course, this is not a problem if you are lying towards the device, but what will the experience be like when you turn your back to the device?
The hose should lie on your pillow above your head when you are sleeping on your back. It should be in the same position when you are sleeping on your side with your back to the machine. When you roll to face toward the machine, the hose should still be on your pillow above your head and curl over your shoulder to the mask.

I use a mask that has the hose attaching to the top of the head. When you move in bed, the hose pulls on the headgear and not the mask. When using a mask with the hose attached to the front of the mask, body movement can cause the hose to pull on the mask and break the air seal.

I run a white noise app on my bedstand. The noise from the hose and machine is totally covered.

galeforcewinds

Post by galeforcewinds » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:25 pm

I use a P10 mask. To avoid the problem you are talking about, I use a hose hanger. This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYHDQ679

When you use a hose hanger, the hose doesn't touch your body. You might have to experiment with the right length of hanging hose that gives you freedom of movement without any tugging on the mask as you move, but it is likely you'll experience less tugging than you would if you were pulling the hose across the bed and over your body as you turn on your side.

I chose the hanger I did because its arm extends further than a lot of the other hangers. I need my hanger to be behind the bed and stationed on the floor, rather than under the mattress. (I have an adjustable bed.) A too-short arm on the hanger would result on a upwards tug on the mask which wouldn't be very comfortable. I'd be the first to admit that the hanger is not a thing of beauty, but it does its job.

The P10 is a very quiet mask. If noise bothers you, I think you'll be happy with it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:51 pm

galeforcewinds wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:25 pm
I use a hose hanger. This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYHDQ679
What do you do when you reach your destinations by air?

Travel is the biggest reason I trained myself to sleep without a hose hanger. I didn't want to carry some contraption on a plane.

galeforcewinds

Post by galeforcewinds » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:24 pm

What do you do when you reach your destinations by air?
Well, I'm pretty much a newbie and haven't had to travel yet with my CPAP. But there are hangers that are more portable than the unattractive monster I am using. At a pinch, something removable (say, attaches to the wall behind you with 3M Command strips) that helps keep your hose behind your head rather than falling off to the side would help. I considered buying something like this which would be pretty packable, but it didn't extend as far as I wanted for every night use:

https://www.anactivelife.com/products/s ... cpap-tubes

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:38 pm

When the hose rests on your pillow or mattress, you may have some conducted noise from the machine through the hose and your pillow or mattress. I also don't like the hose touching me anywhere. I use a hose hanger.

I have a homemade jury-rigged hose hanger with a pully system on a wall-mounted bedside lamp, so it moves with me. When I travel, I just take along several elastic headbands from the Dollar (and a quarter) Tree, and chain them together as necessary to hang the hose from the headboard of a hotel bed or anything else handy (bedside lamp, picture frame above the bed, etc). I've even seen suggestions to use command hooks to hang the hose where desired when traveling , because they supposedly do not harm the paint or surface you stick them on and they are easily removeable, but so far, chaining a bunch of of elastic headbands if necessary has worked fine.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

djont57

Post by djont57 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:50 am

When I travel I use 3M Command Hooks & a very lightweight bungee cord. Works good, except I frequently forget the command hook in the hotel room. :D