Urgent Mask Leaking Help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Urgent Mask Leaking Help

Post by Pugsy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:45 pm

Zaiforce wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:31 pm
lso, I have read that wearing a cervical collar for too long can lead to muscle atrophy in the neck and other complications such as dysphagia and an increase in intracranial pressure values (ICPs), does anybody know about these risks?
More of a risk when someone wears the collar 24/7 for prolonged periods of time and not take it off.

Wearing just while in bed asleep....nothing is going to happen.
Some years ago I had neck surgery and I had to wear a neck brace (stiff and not soft at all) for 3 months 24/7 until the bones healed and I didn't lose muscle in my neck at all. I even had to shower with it on. Only time it came off was very brief when I was changing the wet (from the shower) brace to a dry one. I had 2.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:09 pm

zonker wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:43 pm
Thank you ozij for the suggestion, we haven't tried fitting the mask with her jaw down, I guess that's something we can try, thank you :)

I did manage to get a hold of a cervical collar, could the people that use them to hold the chin up can you please let me know whether it's best to put the bipap mask on first followed by the collar, or the other way around?

Also, I have read that wearing a cervical collar for too long can lead to muscle atrophy in the neck and other complications such as dysphagia and an increase in intracranial pressure values (ICPs), does anybody know about these risks?

Thank you 😊
which mask, please. i use a foam cervical collar and use a p10 nasal mask. i put the collar on first, then mask.

and i hope you are talking about a foam collar and not one of those stiff inflexible ones. i think the latter is where you get into the troubles you've read about.

i've used a firm foam cervical collar about seven years with no ill effects.
My mum is using a Fisher & Paykel Evora full face mask.

Do you think it matters whether the collar or mask goes on first? I was worried if i put the collar on her first then it may be difficult to fit the back of the headband down the back of her head properly as the straps will need to go under the collar.

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:10 pm

Pugsy wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:45 pm
lso, I have read that wearing a cervical collar for too long can lead to muscle atrophy in the neck and other complications such as dysphagia and an increase in intracranial pressure values (ICPs), does anybody know about these risks?
More of a risk when someone wears the collar 24/7 for prolonged periods of time and not take it off.

Wearing just while in bed asleep....nothing is going to happen.
Some years ago I had neck surgery and I had to wear a neck brace (stiff and not soft at all) for 3 months 24/7 until the bones healed and I didn't lose muscle in my neck at all. I even had to shower with it on. Only time it came off was very brief when I was changing the wet (from the shower) brace to a dry one. I had 2.
Thank you, that is reassuring :)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:00 pm

Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:09 pm
Do you think it matters whether the collar or mask goes on first? I was worried if i put the collar on her first then it may be difficult to fit the back of the headband down the back of her head properly as the straps will need to go under the collar.
Didn't you just answer your own question? :D

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:21 am

ChicagoGranny wrote: ↑
Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:00 pm
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:09 pm
Didn't you just answer your own question? :D
You make a good point lol.

Somebody else suggested to me that I replace the mask cushion for her... I am new to cpap/bipap machines so I really don't know much about things yet, but I was under the impression the mask should be replaced about every 6 months, I wasn't aware the cushions should be replaced more frequently?

Her mask is a Fisher & Paykel Evora full face mask and it is approx. 6 weeks old currently, should the cushion section be replaced by now?

Thanks for any advice :)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:42 am

Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:21 am
I was under the impression the mask should be replaced about every 6 months, I wasn't aware the cushions should be replaced more frequently?
I just replaced a mask/cushion that was two years old. This mask is similar to the one she has. Masks, except for foam masks, can last a very long time.

I like to keep a new mask on hand just in case of an unfortunate tear or other problem. However, in 13 years of usage, it has never happened. You should get a backup mask as soon as she is insurance-eligible.

Here is the Medicare replacement schedule. Many private insurance policies follow this schedule. https://imgur.com/jMWaqNB

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:59 am

Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:42 am
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:21 am
I was under the impression the mask should be replaced about every 6 months, I wasn't aware the cushions should be replaced more frequently?
I just replaced a mask/cushion that was two years old. This mask is similar to the one she has. Masks, except for foam masks, can last a very long time.

I like to keep a new mask on hand just in case of an unfortunate tear or other problem. However, in 13 years of usage, it has never happened. You should get a backup mask as soon as she is insurance-eligible.

Here is the Medicare replacement schedule. Many private insurance policies follow this schedule. https://imgur.com/jMWaqNB
Thank you again, so helpful! :)

Ok so it's not that the cushion needs replacing... I am just trying to knock out possibilities as they come to mind :)

She has had one night with the cervical collar and the leakage definitely didn't seem as bad, it has kept her jaw up, but she is still getting a fair amount of constant leakage at the bottom of the mask...

Her BIPAP pressures are 10 exhale, 22 inhale and i think that high inhale pressure is making it difficult to get that seal.

I might buy her a Fisher & Paykel Vitera as her backup mask and give it a try for a night and see if it's any better, it looks to be a bit more cumbersome to wear but maybe it will seal a bit better.

Unless anybody has any other recommendations for a full face mask on a mouth breather with high pressure settings?

I'm so new to this cpap/bipap world and its a lot to understand and take in, and i just really want to get the setup right for my mum so she doesn't get co2 buildup and go into respiratory failure again!

Thank you everyone for all the help!

Bluper

Post by Bluper » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:49 am

I have drop jaw issues. The Airtouch F20, with the memory foam works for me. The foam makes it comfortable so I can tighten it enough to stop leaks. Just a suggestion.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:23 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:59 am
she is still getting a fair amount of constant leakage at the bottom of the mask...

Her BIPAP pressures are 10 exhale, 22 inhale and i think that high inhale pressure is making it difficult to get that seal.
It's usually a good idea to find the exact model mask on YouTube and watch three or so videos about fitting and adjusting.

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:03 pm

Bluper wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:49 am
I have drop jaw issues. The Airtouch F20, with the memory foam works for me. The foam makes it comfortable so I can tighten it enough to stop leaks. Just a suggestion.
Thank you, I may need to try a different mask for her, I am looking at the ResMed AirTouch F20 like you suggested, also the ResMed AirFit F20 (not sure which would be better??), also the Fisher & Paykel Vitera.

It's so hard to know which will work best for her, since she can't really go and try them on or have them fitted by a professional due to her injuries.

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:07 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:23 pm
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:59 am
she is still getting a fair amount of constant leakage at the bottom of the mask...

It's usually a good idea to find the exact model mask on YouTube and watch three or so videos about fitting and adjusting.
Yeah true.

Last night we used the cervical collar again and I tightened the straps on her mask a bit more and it seemed to have much less leakage gauging by sound.

However, this morning her oxygen saturation was down to 81%, the lowest it's been, despite the seal seeming the best... I am so confused. Thankfully her oxygen level did rise quickly once she took the mask off and had a few deep breaths.

I am wondering if maybe I am introducing new issues for her with the cervical collar and have it on too tightly or something.

Really struggling to know what to do, I have ordered a Knightsbridge chin strap to try upon recommendation.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:21 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:07 pm
the cervical collar and have it on too tightly or something.
It only needs to be adjusted to the point that the chin does not drop down inside it. Except for people with a badly recessed chin, this is not tight at all.

People are encouraged to work with one mask for some nights without trying other masks. Now, if a mask seems to be a total disaster, it's a different game.

What are you using to measure oxygen levels?

Zaiforce

Post by Zaiforce » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:26 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:21 pm
What are you using to measure oxygen levels?
A finger clip pulse oximeter, it's one the hospital recommended to us, just a little box that you clip onto your finger.

I was worried it may be inaccurately low or something so I tested it on myself and I was 98%, so I think it is working fine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:33 pm

Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:03 pm
I am looking at the ResMed AirTouch F20 like you suggested, also the ResMed AirFit F20 (not sure which would be better??), also the Fisher & Paykel Vitera.
The nice thing about the ResMed AirFit F20 or AirTouch F20 full face mask is that either cushion works so if you buy one F20 like the AirTouch with the foam and you find it doesn't work out and want to try the F20 silicone cushion all you have to buy is the replacement cushion because the headgear and frame are interchangeable with either type of cushion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:37 pm

Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:35 pm
If you could post a OSCAR report that would be helpful to assess the degree of her leakage as well the apparent ineffectiveness of her treatment. (Referring to your statement that her saturation was restored AFTER she stopped treatment, "her oxygen level did rise quickly once she took the mask off and had a few deep breaths.")
Is she unable to take a deep breath with the mask & Machine on?

My apologies if this request was covered previously.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."