sleepin at 70 mph

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamStalker

sleepin at 70 mph

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:16 am

I think maybe the apneas were waking her up in time to avoid the tragic possiblities ... by my estimate an AHI of 80+ ...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14 ... etail.html

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:18 am

YIKES!!!

I wonder how many folks with undiagnosed OSA have qualified for a "Darwin Award" by eliminating themselves??

Kajun

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:25 am

I don't know if she really has OSA ...but by the size of her neck I would consider her to be a good candidate --- not to mention the driving while sleeping part.

As for Darwinating herself ... she may unfortunately Darwinate other innocents too.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:31 am

She reportedly told the trooper who stopped her that she had only slept two hours the night before, and that she has multiple sclerosis, which can slow response times.

Responding to concerns raised by Pruett about response times, the following time line was provided to 7NEWS. Information is based on details provided by the Denver Police Department and Colorado State Patrol.
(Unedited quote - Pruett was concerned about police response times)

Look like a case of bureaucratic sclerosis as well...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:51 am

(at least) Two things came to mind about this story.

Why didn't the couple filming this incident honk their horn and try to wake her up? (Were they thinking of everyone's safety or trying to get a film to put on TV?)

Why did this woman put herself behind the wheel while "impaired"? (Two hours sleep and multiple sclerosis.)

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:03 am

OMG, that is freakin scary! I would have been concerned to stay up with her like the guy did. I'd be afraid I wouldn't have enough brake time or a place to go if she did crash with one of those big trucks. This is definitely an incentive to stay on cpap. Hopefully, the woman has seen the footage of herself and is making a beeline for a sleep lab with someone else driving her there.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:06 am

Not sure how filming would suggest the thought of safety ... my guess is the later --- hoping to catch a spectacular tragedy on film to sell to the media. On the other hand, I would think that cars were already honking at her as she swerved into their lanes (which obviously made no difference).

I think the woman was providing excuses in hopes of leniency from the arm of the law. BTW - I don’t think a 30-minute response time was inadequate under the circumstances.

As for the beeline to the sleep lab … I doubt she or 90% of the viewers of that clip even know that sleep labs exist.

dieselgal

Post by dieselgal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:21 am

I saw that on Good Morning America this morning and I was dumbfounded at how lucky the gal was not to have caused a major pile up.
I would have been trying to avoid driving near her.
My first thought was Apnea, but it could just be STUPIDITY. When your younger you think your bullet proof anyway.

Amontilado

Post by Amontilado » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:11 pm

All,

The scary part is I remember an experience like this, but more of a black out. Part of my drive is through a tunnel under a river here. On night going to work for a mid shift I work rotating shifts), I remember approaching the first curve to the tunnel, then the next thing I remember is driving down the road after the curve at the exit to the tunnel. I usually will remember an event, though it may take some time of rcking my brain to do it. To this day I still can't remember that period, even though I remember the before and after. Gotta love (NOT) what lack of good sleep does to the memory ,

Steve

j.a.taylor

Post by j.a.taylor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:46 pm

Definitely scary for the couple who thought that they were going to witness a tragedy.

This woman's friend should have been driving the SUV instead of loaning it to her.
John A. Taylor

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:53 am

j.a.taylor wrote:...
This woman's friend should have been driving the SUV instead of loaning it to her.
Very good point, j.a.... looks like evolution is catching up with your avatar....

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

dsm

Post by dsm » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:39 am

I guess one reaction is to say
'Could only happen in the USA'

but even if it all seems queer,
am sure it could easily happen here.

DSM (in Aust)
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

msheda

Post by msheda » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:00 am

Post subject: sleepin at 70 mph

When I first saw this subject, my thought was, yup, do that every night, wind blowing in my face like I'm going 70 mph

Didn't realize it was someone actually sleeping while driving!

This should be ample warning to people about getting sleep tested if they feel tired durring the day or while driving.

sleepyWI

Post by sleepyWI » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:40 am

At some points in the video the filmers are only a few yards behind her as she almost weaves into other cars. No way could they stop if an accident happened. The filmers seem to have been angling for a Darwin nomination themselves.

msheda

Post by msheda » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:45 am

[quote="sleepyWI"]At some points in the video the filmers are only a few yards behind her as she almost weaves into other cars. No way could they stop if an accident happened. The filmers seem to have been angling for a Darwin nomination themselves.