my versatile Hybrid

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
new2

my versatile Hybrid

Post by new2 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:40 am

Last night I needed a break from Hybrid because I have fever blisters on my gums from what might be a drug reaction. I cannot have any pressure anywhere near my mouth.
I tried my Breeze and after an hour decided to try my hybrid pillows for extra comfort. It worked very well for me. The pillows fit like they were made for the Breeze and add that extra cushy comfort. I was also suprised at how little it leaked even with my tossing and turning.
So, I have found my dreamy new alternative interface. The Breezy Hybrid. I miss not having to wear two chin straps, but , hey, can't have everything.

maskjkie

Post by maskjkie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:50 am

new2,

Prior to the Hybrid, which mask were you using? Was it a nasal mask/pillow with chin strap/mouth tape or a FF mask?

Are you on autoPAP? If the answer is yes, are you tracking your AHI and pressure? The reason I'm asking thse questions is I would like to know how your AHI and pressure with the Hybrid compared with the mask you were using before that.

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:29 am

Hey,

I have not been on here for a while but I do check in now and then.
I use the ResMed Activa mask and I like it a lot but I want to get another mask.

The new Hybrid seems really nice. My questions are these:

Is is quiet or is it air noisy?
If your mouth opens, does it help prevent the "parched" feeling you get?
Is it as comfortable as the Activa?

I tried the Swift pillows but they were too air noisy for me.

Thanks,
Judy

Sidesleeper

Post by Sidesleeper » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:48 am

Judy Ann, I love this mask but one thing I dont like is the fact I can't wear it over my head. That's the only time it's noisy, but so much so that you can tell it wasn't designed for the hose over the head. Perhaps they'll change that in the future.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:53 am

JudyAnn wrote:Hey,
Is is quiet or is it air noisy?
If your mouth opens, does it help prevent the "parched" feeling you get?
Is it as comfortable as the Activa?
I am on Day 8 of Hybrid use which was an accelerated program because of a severe cold.

Quiet? - nothing to compare to since the Swift doesn't bother me. I think it is quieter than the Swift but white noise is not something I am sensitive to.

Parched? - doesn't seem to if the humidifier is working. For some reason on one night the humidifier shut down and then I did get a dry mouth.

Activa comfort? - I do not find the Activa particularly comfortable, effective but not "comfy". The Activa causes my Rosacea to erupt, this doesn't. It does need to be tighter than the Activa but it takes up a whole lot less facial real estate and you can have your glasses on with the mask on - no problem. For me it is more comfy than the Activa.

It is a keeper and I will use it in rotation with my Swift. I have finally found an interface I am comfortable to use in rotation with the RESMED (Bad word!) Swift.

David

Only go straight, don't know.

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 am

So you are saying that if you leave the hose in the "down" position, that its not noisy?

I used to put the hose over my head with the Activa but now I just leave it down and to the side as I have the heated hose and it seems to heavy to put it over my head.

Just like everything else, some good nights and some not so good nights. What do you think about that "pillow" cpap machine that is portable. I guess it is a preview of things to come in the future with SA. Maybe someday someone will come up with the "ultimate" mousetrap.

Thanks,
Judy

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 am

Answers:
Judy:
1) Hybrid is quiet until you get something in front of the passive exhalation ports, then its very loud.

2) Its difficult to open you mouth while wearing the Hybrid. In most cases you won't even need to, because it delivers a huge volume of air right up your nose.

3) It depends on which part of your nose you want the pain, bridge (Activa), or nostrils (Hybrid). However, the pillows seem softer than the CL2 or Breeze.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 am

JudyAnn wrote:So you are saying that if you leave the hose in the "down" position, that its not noisy?
Again - noisy is very subjective. It does not work well with the hose up. This has the vent, and boy this thing vents!, hitting the elbow/hose and yes, that is noisy. Mike Moran, and I, have had success routing the hose up but there has to be enough slack to keep the elbow pointing down vertically. I have gone to using it just like you are using the Activa.

BreatheX? - No opinion, I don't require such a machine right now. Seems to be a little bit of a novelty but I am sure it is useful to those who require such a device.

David

Only go straight, don't know.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks both of you for your input.
I am going to order one and I will let you know what I think.

I can see how a person gets a "collection" of masks - always looking for a better solution to dealing this sleep apnea thingy that we all have.

Judy

sidesleeper

Post by sidesleeper » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:50 pm

It's very quiet with the hose next to me.

birdiebaby

Post by birdiebaby » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:54 pm

[quote="Snoozin' Bluezzz"]

Again - noisy is very subjective. It does not work well with the hose up. This has the vent, and boy this thing vents!, hitting the elbow/hose and yes, that is noisy.
[quote]

I agree about the subjectivity of the noise. With 2 fans on in the bedroom and the hose pointed upwards, I don't notice the noise at all. The 'perfect' position for me was just left or just right of upright depending on which side I was sleeping. That way, it avoids the vents. Now, if only I can find a way to keep it up there!

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:59 pm

Birdiebaby-
I route the hose up the left side of my head but clear of the vent holes.
I fasten it with a velcro loosely to the headgear.
You might try that.

Maryb

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:03 pm

odergearhead - if it's difficult to open your mouth, wouldn't this interfere with your ability to breathe through your mouth if you were congested?

johndes

Post by johndes » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:08 pm

Anonymous wrote:odergearhead - if it's difficult to open your mouth, wouldn't this interfere with your ability to breathe through your mouth if you were congested?
I read somewhere that if you trim the chin flap, then it is much easier to open the mouth. Trimming the chin flap apparently does not affect the seal in any way.

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:21 pm

I can vouch for that. Following Mike Moran's example, I trimmed off my chinflap and the result was that the mask was lighter, cooler and sealed just fine.
I found that chinflap extremely uncomfortable--tight and hot.
I'm glad someone had the guts to try that out.

Maryb