Anyone else told they also have Cheyne-Stokes ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kristy5550

Anyone else told they also have Cheyne-Stokes ?

Post by Kristy5550 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:32 pm

I have to call and get a copy of my sleep study faxed over.
I do remember they did mention the Cheyne-Stokes though.
It seems like sleep apnea can be a very serious condition.
It blows my mind the more I am learning.
This site is WONDERFUL!
Sweet dreams,
Kris :-)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:05 am

I don't have Cheyne-Stokes breathing, but below are several links about the Cheyne-Stokes breathing pattern.

medicalglossary.org

An abnormal pattern of breathing characterized by alternating periods of apnea and deep, rapid breathing. The cycle begins with slow, shallow breaths that gradually increase in depth and rate and is then followed by a period of apnea. The period of apnea can last 5 to 30 seconds, then the cycle repeats every 45 seconds to 3 minutes.

mywhatever.com

Cheyne-Stokes respirations refer to a rhythmic change in respirations wherein breathing becomes shallower and shallower variably with a slowing in respiratory rate that culminates usually in complete cessation of breathing for several seconds to more than a minute. This is followed by progressively stronger respirations that become exaggerated and quite deep. This pattern is thought to result from abnormal brainstem responses to CO2 levels in the blood - initially undercompensating and then overcompensating.

medical.webends.com

An abnormal pattern of breathing characterized by alternating periods of apnea and deep, rapid breathing. The cycle begins with slow, shallow breaths that gradually increase in depth and rate and is then followed by a period of apnea. The period of apnea can last 5 to 30 seconds, then the cycle repeats every 45 seconds to 3 minutes.

yahooligans.yahoo.com

An abnormal type of breathing seen especially in comatose patients, characterized by alternating periods of shallow and deep breathing.

Incidentally, Resmed has a very advanced machine currently undergoing FDA trials in the U.S. - a machine specifically designed for patients with C-S breathing. The machine is the first ever (that I know of) combination autopap/bi-level machine and is called the ResMed Autoset CS 2. Quite a remarkable achievement - a machine that works as both an autopap AND as a "bipap" at once. This extremely advanced machine will likely be a life-saver for many CHF (congestive heart failure) patients. You can read about ResMed's new CS2 auto/bi-level machine at: PDF file - ResMed Autoset CS2

(btw, I realize that "BiPap" is Respironics' trade name for a bi-level machine, and that ResMed's bi-level is called "VPAP", but "bipap" has practically become a generic name for bi-level machines.)

Kristy5550

Post by Kristy5550 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 pm

Thanks for the information rested gal. I really appreciate you taking the time to research this for me.
After reading all the information you are almost afraid to go to sleep.
I remember my Dr. also told me I stop breathing and make no attempt to breath until the chemical changes start to happen and then I breath.
My Dr. also said the pulmonary hypertension I have is partially caused by the sleep apnea.
Sweet dreams,
Kris :-)

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:26 pm

Hi Kristi,

Resmed has a machine called the Autoset CS that has been released all over the world except the USA. It is specifically used for Cheyne Stokes Syndrome.

You may wish to ask your doctor about this. You may be able to get one in Europe or Australia.

ResMed Inc. Announces Favorable Results from AutoSet CS Trials on Congestive Heart Failure Patients
September 25, 2001
ResMed Inc. announced data from a study on the use of its AutoSet CS device by congestive heart failure patients exhibiting Cheyne Stokes Respiration (CRS). CSR is an out of control pattern of periodic breathing, associated with increased risk of mortality, which occurs in about one third of severe CHF patients when they are asleep. ResMed's AutoSet CS device corrects this detrimental breathing pattern and thereby improves the general well-being of patients as well as their heart function. After 6 months of treatment with AutoSet CS the severity of the patients' CSR was reduced by approximately 90%, with highly significant concomitant improvements in exercise capacity and oxygen uptake, and heart-related well-being. There were reductions of over 60% in the duration of daytime naps and an almost 60% reduction in nocturia, or the frequency of urination associated with disturbed sleep. All patients tolerated the treatment well, using the device for an average of over 6 hours per night.