Purchase a new CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
want2catchzzz

Purchase a new CPAP?

Post by want2catchzzz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:20 am

I need some guidance regarding the purchase of a CPAP machine. Like many others I had a recall of my Philips CPAP. I finally received my new machine yesterday to find out that it needs to be replaced since it’s making a very loud noise. Who knows how long this will take? Who knows how the the replacement will take and what if this happens again? On top of all of this I read that the new silicon in the replacement machine is now problematic and could cause health issues. What is going on Philips?

So now the question begs, do I just give up on Philips and purchase a ResMed? If I go with a ResMed which one?

I currently have the Philips Dream Station 1 with humidifier so I would want something equal or better.

CPAP community, should I go with a ResMed AirSense 10 or 11?

I’m also going to pay for this on my own. The current one is from the VA and I don’t want to go through any more red tape. I just want to get good quality sleep. Which brings to me my next point. If I purchase I’ll need to do one from a provider without insurance.

Please tell what you think I should get and from where.

palerider

Re: Purchase a new CPAP?

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:36 am

want2catchzzz wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:20 am
What is going on Philips?
crappy company, always has been.
want2catchzzz wrote:
So now the question begs, do I just give up on Philips and purchase a ResMed?
That's what the smart money says.
want2catchzzz wrote:
If I go with a ResMed which one?
beats me, you haven't told us which philips you had.
want2catchzzz wrote:
I currently have the Philips Dream Station 1 with humidifier so I would want something equal or better.
That doesn't tell us anything, it's like saying "I drive a ford". .... which one? pinto? mustang? F150? They're all Fords.
want2catchzzz wrote:

CPAP community, should I go with a ResMed AirSense 10 or 11?
See above.
There's something like 9 different Air 10 machines (though only four different Airsense 10 machines) and 3 different Airsense 11 machines.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

want2catchzzz

Post by want2catchzzz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:05 pm

That doesn't tell us anything, it's like saying "I drive a ford". .... which one? pinto? mustang? F150? They're all Fords.
Not sure what your looking for. I just know I have a DreamStaion 1 vs the 2. Do you need something more specific? If so, where do I find that info?

If it helps, mine looks just like the one pictured https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/ ... py-systems

Also need to know where I can purchase from.

Thanks in advance!

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:24 pm

The link leads to a page describing a whole line of different machines. Maybe you could say what your settings are? That might help us advise you about a ResMed machine. Do you have a range of pressures (a minimum and a maximum)? And do you have flex? Or pressure support?

If you can get a prescription for the machine of your choice from the VA, that's all you need in order to buy a new machine on line. If that's not feasible, any willing doctor, nurse practitioner, or dentist can give you a prescription.

You can also sometimes buy a lightly used machine that would work for you by sending a private message to forum member LSAT. I got my machine from him; the price was fair, and everything worked out well.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:28 pm

The ResMed Airsense AUTOSET machines are very good machines. Either the 10 or 11 is fine.

If you PM our member LSAT he can often help you get a gently used machine in very good condition for a great price. Brand new the 10's are around $900 at our hosts at cpap.com. You will need a prescription to buy new from an online DME.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

want2catchzzz

Post by want2catchzzz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:30 pm

Sounds good, I"ll post my settings tonight/tomorrow when i'm back at home. I took photos of the settings.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:46 pm

want2catchzzz wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:05 pm

Not sure what your looking for. I just know I have a DreamStaion 1 vs the 2. Do you need something more specific? If so, where do I find that info?

If it helps, mine looks just like the one pictured https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/ ... py-systems
The problem is there are several different DreamStation 1's that look like the one in the picture in your link, and they provide different kinds of xPAP therapy. The most common DreamStations are the following:

The DreamStation 1 CPAP is a baseline model that provides fixed pressure (CPAP) therapy and only basic efficacy data.

The DreamStation 1 CPAP Pro is the next step up: It provides fixed pressure (CPAP) therapy and records full efficacy data.

The DreamStation 1 Auto CPAP is an auto-adjusting CPAP machine that can be run in either fixed pressure (CPAP) mode or auto (APAP) mode where the pressure adjusts through the night based on what's happening in your breathing.

The DreamStation 1 BiPAP Pro is a fixed pressure bilevel machine. It has two fixed pressure levels---EPAP (for exhalation) and IPAP (for inhalation). It can also be run in CPAP mode if desired.

The DreamStation 1 Auto BiPAP is an auto-adjusting bilevel machine. In Auto mode, it has settings for Min EPAP, Max IPAP, Min PS, and Max PS. It can also be run in fixed CPAP and fixed BiPAP modes if desired.

Recommendations
If your current machine is a PR DreamStation 1 CPAP, CPAP Pro, or Auto CPAP, the best choice for a replacement from Resmed would be either the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet or the Resmed AirSense 11 AutoSet. Since you plan on paying out of pocket, I'd suggest getting the cheaper of the two, which would likely be a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet if you can find one.

If your current machine is a PR DreamStation 1 BiPAP Pro or Auto BiPAP, the best choice for a replacement from Resmed would be the Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto. (An AirCurve 11 does not yet exist.)

Also worth noting: You will need a script to purchase the machine from either an on-line DME or a brick-and-mortar DME. If your script says "CPAP" or "APAP", you will only be able to purchase CPAP/APAP machines. If your script says "bilevel" or "BiPAP", you will be able to purchase a bilevel machine.

If you have a script in hand, I'd suggest starting with our host: cpap.com. If you are willing to consider used (refurbished) machines, you might want to also look at secondwindcpap.com, but they will also require that you send them a script.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:55 pm

want2catchzzz wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:05 pm

Thanks in advance!
You can look on the bottom of the unit, it has a REF number, and a name there.

What it looks like doesn't help, because they all look the same.

Here's a list: wiki/index.php/CPAP_models help us out so we can help you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

want2catchzzz

Post by want2catchzzz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:17 pm

By the way... while I'm waiting to get home to get the setting. Maybe someone has a suggestion here. Regarding the replacement unit everything seems okay except for this loud sound I hear from the output of the mask but coming from the machine if this makes sense. It sounds like the motor is winding up and then back down again. Yes, I know this is normal since it follows are breathing patterns. But this is the same machine as my old one but I cannot hear a thing on the old one. This one is so loud the wife can hear it. I went through the settings last night under the provider menu and the settings are the same. I'm also using the same Mask on my old machine: the ResMed AirFit N30 directly connected to the CPAP without the humidifier. Just like the old one. Everything is the same setup just moved the mask from old to new with same settings. Maybe its the new silicone filter that is louder?

earlvillestu

Post by earlvillestu » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:20 pm

I've used both the 10 and the 11. The differences are minor and mostly cosmetic. Since you're paying for this yourself, I'd go for the 10, since it's usually hundreds of dollars cheaper.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:29 pm

want2catchzzz wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:17 pm
By the way... while I'm waiting to get home to get the setting. Maybe someone has a suggestion here. Regarding the replacement unit everything seems okay except for this loud sound I hear from the output of the mask but coming from the machine if this makes sense. It sounds like the motor is winding up and then back down again. Yes, I know this is normal since it follows are breathing patterns. But this is the same machine as my old one but I cannot hear a thing on the old one. This one is so loud the wife can hear it. I went through the settings last night under the provider menu and the settings are the same. I'm also using the same Mask on my old machine: the ResMed AirFit N30 directly connected to the CPAP without the humidifier. Just like the old one. Everything is the same setup just moved the mask from old to new with same settings. Maybe its the new silicone filter that is louder?
I made the mistake of buying a philips machine back around 2014, and got rid of it shortly thereafter, because of this exact thing, even when my partner was using it on the other side of the bed, I could hear the whining up and down.

It depends on what pressure the machine is set to, maybe your replacement isn't set on the same pressure, or maybe the "sound deadening foam" did a better job on the old one.

want2catchzzz

Post by want2catchzzz » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:43 pm

I don't know what it is but the settings are 100% the same as the old device. Last night since the sound was so loud I changed the pressure from the same pressure I've been using on my old device for ~2 years from 7 down to 6 on the new one. I did eventually fall asleep but keep waking up over and over again because of the sound. BTW the change in pressure from 7 to 6 did nothing. If it did, I could not tell.

CpapUser100

Post by CpapUser100 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:26 pm

If you sign up for emails from our sponsor (cpap dot com), you will get a discount code that will bring a new Resmed Airsense Autoset 10 card to cloud version down to $500. It as good as the 11 but it does lack a modem. That probably won't matter to you since you plan to pay out of pocket rather than have insurance pay for it and monitor for compliance. You will need a prescription to order.

want2catchzzz

Post by want2catchzzz » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:13 pm

I signed up and said 20% off. The price is $913 20% will bring it down to about $730. Is there a coupon that I should get via email for a bigger discount?

want2catchzzz

Post by want2catchzzz » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:18 pm

Crap... just noticed said prescription. I don't have one. I need a place to get it without. I got my machine from the VA... too much red tape. At this point of I go to a doctor... more red tape and appointments... etc. Just need a place I can purchase from. I tried LSAT but he said he does not have any instock at this time. If anyone else has a place/person please let me know.