Head cold with cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Head cold with cpap

Post by LSAT » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:21 am

Winter cold season is here and I an developing a stuffed nose. Last night the humidifier helped, but I took off the mask at 3AM. Any suggestions?

nightjar

Re: Head cold with cpap

Post by nightjar » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:53 am

You might try a full-face mask, LSAT; it'd let you breathe through your mouth while your nose is stuffed up. (I need to get an FFM, too, even though I really like my nasal mask.)

Also, you might try using a neti pot to clear out your sinuses.

The best thing would be to use a sauna every night. That would really help get rid of your congestion, I'll bet! (I sure wish I had a sauna to use on a regular basis. . . .)

But the FFM and a neti pot would help--and they'd cost lots less than a sauna, too.

Good luck,

Nath

Sherry Scarlett

Post by Sherry Scarlett » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:18 am

What is a neti pot? My husband has been using cpap for about a year. He continuously suffers with bouts of sneezing, runny nose, and feeling really bad. Anybody have any suggestions?

echo

Post by echo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:35 am

A neti pot is a gentle way to clean out the sinuses: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

You mix some warm water, salt, and stick the thing up one nostril, tilt your head, and let it drain out the other nostril. Many people swear by them. (It also helps pollution-related sinusitis). Best is to use it in the morning or early afternoon, but definintely not just before masking up - it can just make the congestion worse.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!