The Spam is Back - be worried.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Holden4th

The Spam is Back - be worried.

Post by Holden4th » Mon May 08, 2017 3:58 am

So the spam attack that locked out every legitimate user outside the US is back. Incapsula (the supposed protectors of this forum) obviously don't have a clue. Their solution to the last attack was to lock out all foreign traffic. Looking at the latest spam which now routes through US colleges, this won't work. It isn't hard to ward off the spambots via the registration process but seriously, Incapsula need to be given the boot.

By the way, you probably didn't know that it was Incapsula that was providing security for this forum? Based on their current performance, are you concerned that your personal information is compromised?

Julie

Re: The Spam is Back - be worried.

Post by Julie » Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 am

I've heard of Incapsula, but thought it was the spam, virus, etc... but in any case, not sure what you mean by 'locked out' everyone outside of the US. I've been writing to people there with no interruption for weeks and been replied to. And had no interruption of any other site, country, etc. I'm not a techie at all tho' and do use a Mac.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:43 am

North America was obviously not locked out, but certainly the UK, UAE, Australia and other countries (not sure how many) could not contribute to the forum for over a week, no explanation was offered and my emails to CPAP.com were ignored.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 08, 2017 7:59 am

Holden4th wrote:Based on their current performance, are you concerned that your personal information is compromised?
No.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 08, 2017 8:57 am

I opened the site this morning to a whole truckload of feces!
Do we need to go over heads and notify the FCC, FBI, or Interpol?
Edit: or the CIA--black ops division?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 08, 2017 1:39 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I opened the site this morning to a whole truckload of feces!
Do we need to go over heads and notify the FCC, FBI, or Interpol?
Edit: or the CIA--black ops division?
They already know, they monitor everything you do, they see what you see. The forum doesn't run from your house to the forum on a Cat 5 cable, many other forms of data transmition are involved, None are secure, the best way to protect your stuff is not to have anything worth taking. Jim

What was the data you gave the forum that you think was worth so much? All I did was provide a made up name, and a email addr, anything else I post is my fault, if it gets out and pollutes the web. Anything you can't keep secured inside your own mind is free game, soon that will be unsafe too. Use a little self control, don't click on spam, feel free to read posts here WITHOUT the need to post on every thread just to see if your keyboard still works. Learn not to post on Zombie Threads, everything needed to know on them was answered on the first page of the Zombie Thread, odd's of anything you add is of value is slim. If you have a overwhelming need to be typing, make a new post, to people who are still with us...........
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Mon May 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Kind of hard to worry that anyone knows I am using a APAP as a CPAP. In fact, I tell anyone dull enough to look like they are remotely interested.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Goofproof: not afraid for myself; but how cool would it be to sic someone unprincipled on those so very deserving of pain?
On a related topic: it appears that if you register with the donotcall registry, then report EVERY unwanted call,
they taper off sharply.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 08, 2017 6:17 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Goofproof: not afraid for myself; but how cool would it be to sic someone unprincipled on those so very deserving of pain?
On a related topic: it appears that if you register with the donotcall registry, then report EVERY unwanted call,
they taper off sharply.
I put myself on the Do Not Call List, I blocked making long distance calls from my own phone!

I always let my phone ring at least 3 times, because dialers are set to hang up if you answer under 3 rings, and that keeps me from using up their time and resources that they can use on the next caller. I am one of the few that still have a land line. Jim

I don't worry, I get even!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:07 pm

So you do answer after the third ring.
Sometimes I just don't answer, and sometimes I answer, pause, then shut the phone.
I was getting the fake windows support a while ago.
Do you know they had the nerve to call me at 1:45 A M. I said let me ask you a question; do you know what time. It is?
She said I know it's late but your computer.
I said I don't have a computer, and you're not from Windows, Windows does not call people.
I sad you need to quit bothering me, you called about 10 times today.
I finally blocked the number, so far, no more "Windows" calls!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 08, 2017 9:27 pm

xxyzx wrote:can the mods give some trusted people the right to zap spam
Once you have been a forum member for 90 days you will get a spam button and then you can immediately spam remove offending spam.
It's only for spam though...not to be used just because you don't like what someone says. If a person abuses their spam button they can lose the spam button privilege.

Looks like the Chinese dude is back in full glory tonight. I zapped 3 of them just a couple of minutes ago.
When in doubt or if you don't have a spam button yet....just don't say anything in a spam thread because any response locks the spam into the archives. It's best to just don't do anything or say anything and someone with the spam button privilege will come along and zap it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 08, 2017 10:18 pm

xxyzx wrote:
Holden4th wrote:So the spam attack that locked out every legitimate user outside the US is back. Incapsula (the supposed protectors of this forum) obviously don't have a clue. Their solution to the last attack was to lock out all foreign traffic. Looking at the latest spam which now routes through US colleges, this won't work. It isn't hard to ward off the spambots via the registration process but seriously, Incapsula need to be given the boot.

By the way, you probably didn't know that it was Incapsula that was providing security for this forum? Based on their current performance, are you concerned that your personal information is compromised?
worried no
annoyed a little bit

can the mods give some trusted people the right to zap spam

can they turn on a voting mechanism so if it is flagged a few times it is gone
At 146 posts, you should know, we have no mods here, you should also know about the delete button, Where have you been you post but you don't read posts? Jim

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 am

Thanks for the heads up. I have now used the spam report button to delete 8 spam posts. However, they shouldn't get here in the first place. One simple way to fix this is to change the sign up procedure to needing permission to join the forum though without any form of moderation that might be hard. The other way is to use something like Captcha for sign up.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:11 am

you are all wrong ... those are coded messages to the terrorist sleeper cells
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 10, 2017 9:11 am

Maybe the spam should be forwarded to the CIA.
Obviously, they are spying on the wrong people.