HME waterless humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cardinalphan

HME waterless humidifier

Post by Cardinalphan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm

I have been a CPAP user for over 10 years and have always used a humidifier. In reading about the new Z1 machine, they provide humidity through this "waterless humidifier". Is anyone familiar with this process for adding humidity? I like the idea of smaller size machine and not carrying the addl humidifier around when traveling. Thanks

hyperlexis

Re: HME waterless humidifier

Post by hyperlexis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Cardinalphan wrote:I have been a CPAP user for over 10 years and have always used a humidifier. In reading about the new Z1 machine, they provide humidity through this "waterless humidifier". Is anyone familiar with this process for adding humidity? I like the idea of smaller size machine and not carrying the addl humidifier around when traveling. Thanks
The technology has been around for a while for hospitals and respirators, etc. There is a chemical impregnated plastic sponge-like matrix placed inside a chamber in the air circuit, near the mask, that absorbs moisture when exhaling, and then releases it back when inhaling. It's the only practical option for super small cpap machines that don't have built in water humidifiers.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:38 pm

I asked cpap.com about it and they say it is a single use item, and looking at the site, they cost 5.95 - out of my range for a daily use.

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:24 am

I was checking on the same thing and one of the larger CPAP supply web sites listed the HME for the Z1 and they indicated that you treat it somewhat like a filter and it could go as far as a once a month replacement. I think someone that buys the Z1 might be able to report back to us on real world use of the inline HME, but if I had one I would definately try to get 30 days out of it at $5.95 !

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:27 pm

The ones we use in the hospital and homecare are called HME (Heat-Moisture Exchangers) aka "artificial nose". They can be used inline (in the circuit) on a ventilator patient or if someone has a tracheostomy they will use ones that go on the trach tube (usually pediatric patients). They are one time use items (24 hours). We never tried using more than one day for fear of the patient not receiving his moisture etc..
The only thing you can do is wait for someone that uses this to report back or purchase it and try to go a few days with it and see if you feel any difference with the humidity.
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

Somnonaut

Post by Somnonaut » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:31 am

The issue with HME in a ventilator is different from HME in a CPAP circuit. Ventilators are closed circuits. There is no air escaping, therefore all the humidification goes back into the HME upon exhalation. In a CPAP circuit there is always a known leak, which is where the CO2 is vented. This constant loss of air does not allow the humidified exhalation to properly humidify the HME to allow it to provide enough moisture for the next breath. That is why they are not used within standard CPAP circuits.
31 year sleep tech, 15 year CPAP user.

delshadow

Post by delshadow » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:45 am

I used them while travelling in Europe over the Christmas holiday. I took 5 with me and used 3 in 18 days. When I noticed that breathing was getting a little harder I started using a new one. After each use I put it in a baggie as the instructions recommended. I thought they worked very well.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:05 am

If I couldn't figure how to use a humidifier, even in passover mode, which I can, I'd do what I do, make a insulated cup of ice water, with a straw, can take a sip as needed. I usually awake a few times a nite, to change positions, take a sip, go back to sleep, less than 40 sec and back to sleep.

Then I use that $ 5.95 a day to fill my pillows. Jim

For those that can't figure it out, the reason to main to change this device daily, would be contamination, mold and breeding germs.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire