keeping your mouth closed while sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
poppi2

Re: keeping your mouth closed while sleeping

Post by poppi2 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:18 pm

kaiasgram wrote:
*p.s., I thought for the longest time that your avatar was really a picture of you.

I love Al Gore's internet. I just dragged NateS's avatar onto Google Images, and here is the closest match:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2006/feb ... ile_01.htm, Dr. Aubrey de Grey of Cambridge University.

NateS, you picked the likeness of an impressive scientist. In my mind's eye, the image will always be associated with you.

star444

Post by star444 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:19 pm

poppi2 wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:
*p.s., I thought for the longest time that your avatar was really a picture of you.

I love Al Gore's internet. I just dragged NateS's avatar onto Google Images, and here is the closest match:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2006/feb ... ile_01.htm, Dr. Aubrey de Grey of Cambridge University.

NateS, you picked the likeness of an impressive scientist. In my mind's eye, the image will always be associated with you.
Awesome detective work, poppi!

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

balor123

Post by balor123 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Is it really such a good idea to be taping one's mouth shut? In theory, you should wake up should your O2 drop and you can't open your mouth. I would venture that if it's happening a lot it will take its toll somehow over time. That's one of nature's safety margins (and a suspected leading cause of SIDS). Then again, you need to do what you need to do I guess. We'll all die much quicker without effective CPAP therapy most likely.

sunnyway

Post by sunnyway » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:16 pm

In response to those who feel claustrophobic in a full face mask, it seems contra-intuitive, but I'm delighted with a TOTAL FACE MASK. The Respironics FitLife Total Face Mask is totally clear and does not obstruct my vision. I'm not in the least claustrophobic in it. I tried a dozen masks before settling on the FitLife. I've been using for almost four years. I refer to it as my "fighter pilot mask".

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html

apw5746

Post by apw5746 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:57 pm

I'm glad you're not claustrophobic, and are able use a FFM. Just think of your worst fear, and multiply it by a factor of 100.

I can see perfectly out of my full face divers mask, but I'm concentrating so hard on what I'm doing (gold prospecting), and should I take it off, I'm screwed, and when I flew F-15's in Europe, I was so focused on the task at hand I didn't have time to scratch my nose or rub my upper lip. However, sleeping in a full face mask is entirely different, at least for me. My apnea is severely chronic, plus I'm bet I'm a few years older than you too, but that's a different subject.

You have a flawed understanding of my problem, and that may lead to counter-productive behavior. I've been at the CPAP game for over 20 years now.

georgiadil@aol.com

Post by georgiadil@aol.com » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:14 pm

springman946: I still struggle. I have not seen anything like your "Brandy keg" of a 4" foam cylinder and a narrow strap -- but I am left with no idea of how to make one or how it would work. More details please?????????

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:15 pm

You're waiting for a response from someone who hasn't been here for a very long time and never became a member...

otrpu

Post by otrpu » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I've used FFM's since starting CPAP in 2003. Started having problems getting a good seal. Found the RespCARE Hybrid FFM solved my mask seal and holding my mouth closed problem. Has a much smaller area to seal. And, by design holds the mouth closed. Might have a look see.
Cheers,
otrpu
Last edited by otrpu on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:49 pm

I guess each person has their preference. A simple piece of 2" durapore 3M tape solves the problem for me. It's so much more comfortable than the chin strap. Compared to the chin strap, it feels naked. You've got to have clear nostrils and however. I understand, I think, the explanation on dry mouth but I haven't had an issue. Some people cut a small slit in the tape to allow some air to enter if needed but I don't do that.
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)