Dry Mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Broken Bob

Dry Mouth

Post by Broken Bob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:01 am

I have been using a Mirage Quattro FFM for the past four years. My AHI normally does not exceed 1.5. My mask has always had high large leaks and the "mask farts" are so loud they wake my neighbors as well as my self. My wife moved in with a neighbor 3 houses away to get away from the noise!
Three months ago, my DME recommended the Fisher/Paykel FFM. The DME said it had a really good seal. It does. It is much more comfortable than any mask I have tried. The leaks have been reduced to a couple of "baby farts" through out the night and my wife had moved back in and my neighbors are happy. My AHI still remains 1.5 are less.

Why am I writing this if life is so good you ask?
I now have a problem with EXTREME dry mouth. I never had this with the Quattro. I am a nose breather and I know for sure I do not open my mouth during sleep. I welcome your feedback.

By the way, I tried to change my equipment profile and the Fisher/Paykel was not an option. Any help there?

49er

Re: Dry Mouth

Post by 49er » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:07 am

Broken Bob wrote:I have been using a Mirage Quattro FFM for the past four years. My AHI normally does not exceed 1.5. My mask has always had high large leaks and the "mask farts" are so loud they wake my neighbors as well as my self. My wife moved in with a neighbor 3 houses away to get away from the noise!
Three months ago, my DME recommended the Fisher/Paykel FFM. The DME said it had a really good seal. It does. It is much more comfortable than any mask I have tried. The leaks have been reduced to a couple of "baby farts" through out the night and my wife had moved back in and my neighbors are happy. My AHI still remains 1.5 are less.

Why am I writing this if life is so good you ask?
I now have a problem with EXTREME dry mouth. I never had this with the Quattro. I am a nose breather and I know for sure I do not open my mouth during sleep. I welcome your feedback.

By the way, I tried to change my equipment profile and the Fisher/Paykel was not an option. Any help there?
Hi BB,

You might find this dentist's site on dry mouth helpful.

http://www.ccomfs.com/surgical-instruct ... h-patients

One remedy many members have had luck with is orajel for dry mouth. Maybe give that a try?

I assume you have tried experimenting with the humidity levels?

Best of luck.

49er

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:48 am

Broken Bob wrote:I now have a problem with EXTREME dry mouth.
Do you mean when you are sleeping and not throughout the day? If so, here is a product that I use every night and it is a great help - http://www.drugstore.com/orajel-dry-mou ... tid=183812

If you try Orajel, be sure to get the one in the link. Orajel makes several products and Orajel Dry Mouth Relief Gel is the only one that is appropriate for your problem.

Get everything ready for bed and your mask at hand. Put a dab of Orajel on the tip of your tongue and then spread it between your lower teeth and gums. Repeat for upper teeth. Immediately put on the mask and get into bed. Try not to suck the gel down.
Broken Bob wrote:I am a nose breather and I know for sure I do not open my mouth during sleep.
This statement lacks some credibility. How can you know your mouth doesn't open during sleep since you are ... well, asleep?

Why are you using a FFM if your mouth doesn't open during sleep? Nasal interfaces are much more popular with people whose mouth doesn't open during sleep.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:51 am

Broken Bob wrote:

Just type it into your signature line.
I use Orajel for Dry Mouth before bed and it keeps the cotton mouth away for me. I just put a little on the end of my tongue and rub it between gum and cheek.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Broken Bob

Post by Broken Bob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks od

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:05 pm

Here's the best price I've found for Orajel Dry Mouth Moisturizer:

http://www.dentist.net/products/orajel- ... rizing-gel

If you have Amazon Prime with free shipping, that's generally a cheaper way to go.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

grybeard77

Post by grybeard77 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Biotin (oral balance dry mouth moisturizing gel) works very well too.