Newbie stuck between two headgear sizes

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
riversong

Newbie stuck between two headgear sizes

Post by riversong » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:31 am

I am a new user just diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I can't seem to get the right fit on my mask. I'm using the ResMed Airfit N20 and was originally fitted with a medium. The issue is that I had tightened up the medium headgear as much as I could, but the mask still slipped when I rolled over. The part that fits around the back of your head is really loose on me no matter how much I tighten the straps, and the magnetic clip framework extends below my chin and hits the pillow. When I roll over, it breaks the seal and wakes me up. They sent me small headgear, but that headgear is pretty tight, and I'm concerned it's too tight. I had indentations on my face this morning from the straps and the cushion, but I slept much better because the mask stayed put and I didn't have to struggle to get it back in place. Any suggestions?

Does the "for her" headgear work with the regular mask? Should I see if they'll send me that in a medium?

Okie bipap

Re: Newbie stuck between two headgear sizes

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:29 am

If the N20 is like the F20, the "for her" head gear is the same size as the regular small head gear. The only difference is the color of the head gear. The regular small is gray and blue and the "for her" is gray and violet.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:54 am

How long did it take for the marks/indentations to go away? When wearing a full face or nasal mask I get them but they go away after a while.

How you slept is the most important. Large leaks wake you up and that is not good. Maybe try to get used to the tighter set up.

Or, like me, try some other masks to get a better fit/feel.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

riversong

Post by riversong » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:21 pm

I slept a lot better than with the medium headgear. Didn't wake up at all and the mask felt secure. According to my app I had a good mask fit (no leaks). I'm going to stick with the small and see how it goes. The indentations went away by the time I went to work, so they lasted maybe a half hour?

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm not familiar with the nasal masks. is it possible that the mask itself is the wrong size, causing the problems with the headgear fit?

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

riversong

Post by riversong » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:00 am

Yeah I seem to be between the two sizes. I'm thinking about trying the Mirage FX to see if that might be better. The small really is too tight, and I tried the medium again and it's just too big.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Some of us, finding we fall between sizes, try another BRAND.

Jeramief

Post by Jeramief » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:32 pm

I have had much difficulty in mask success I am on my 3rd mask I have a pretty high pressure setting go back to your DME or Sleep Dr and get fitted for a different mask I had my one year follow up and my sleep clinic happily fitted me with a new mask so far I’m sleeping better and I don’t have a sore on my nose from the previous mask. You must be vocal with Dr and DME to find a proper mask.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 am

riversong wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:21 pm
I slept a lot better than with the medium headgear. Didn't wake up at all and the mask felt secure. According to my app I had a good mask fit (no leaks). I'm going to stick with the small and see how it goes. The indentations went away by the time I went to work, so they lasted maybe a half hour?
1/2 hour is just fine. Anything against your skin for hours on end is going to leave a red place or indentation. If it isn't sore or otherwise bothersome as the day goes on, that is something you might want to train yourself to live with.

How the mask works to allow really good sleep is what this is all about. Even when you achieve that, there are other masks that might be more comfortable to use and easier to clean.

If all you have ever tried is a full face mask, or an over the nose nasal mask, I would recommend a nasal pillow mask to at least try.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

riversong

Post by riversong » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:32 pm

I tried the nasal pillows first and they ripped up my nose so they switched me to the N20. I think we finally have it figured out though. They switched me to the small cushion with the medium headgear and that seems to have worked. I have a really round, wide face, so I think I was just in between. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!