My father passed away from sleep apnea and I don't want to so I am using BiLevel Aircurve 10 VAuto for the first time

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: My father passed away from sleep apnea and I don't want to so I am using BiLevel Aircurve 10 VAuto for the first tim

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:55 am

Enough with the bickering already.
Please get back on topic or I will fix it so no one can.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Okie bipap

Re: My father passed away from sleep apnea and I don't want to so I am using BiLevel Aircurve 10 VAuto for the first tim

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:30 pm

RLMMG, your chart for last night looks pretty good. Most of us try for an AHI of less than 1. All of your events occur within a 30 minute window. Looking at the flow rate, it looks like you may have been awake, or at least going in and out of sleep at that time. Other than that short period of time, it looks real good. You got to the upper limit of where your machine is set, but it was only for a short period of time. I would recommend you leave the machine setting where it is now and watch it for a week. Changes should be made based on trends, not one night results.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

RLMMG

Post by RLMMG » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:30 pm
RLMMG, your chart for last night looks pretty good. Most of us try for an AHI of less than 1. All of your events occur within a 30 minute window. Looking at the flow rate, it looks like you may have been awake, or at least going in and out of sleep at that time. Other than that short period of time, it looks real good. You got to the upper limit of where your machine is set, but it was only for a short period of time. I would recommend you leave the machine setting where it is now and watch it for a week. Changes should be made based on trends, not one night results.
Thank You I feel very blessed and Thank You Jesus.

When I had my sleep study in the hospital I was just under severe so this truly is answered prayers. I am going to keep well enough alone for now. I started with this F20 Airtouch large mask because it was what was given to me at the hospital when they gave me a split study but I know they don't last forever and wondering if I should try something else or stick to what is working as these seem expensive but a small price to pay for your health. Do you know approx how long these last

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:07 pm

The Air Touch cushions do not last much more than a month. My wife and I both use the Air Sense F20 mask. Our cushions will last a year or longer with proper care. I wash them once a week and let them air dry. I am very careful when I handle them so I don't damage the silicone. Your mask frame will work with either style cushion. You can often find the cushions on eBay for quite a bit less than what the DME charges for them. Most of these are from people that get excess items through their insurance and then sell them on eBay for a little extra money. I have purchased mask parts and even complete masks there with out many problems. I only had a problem with one seller. Feel free to send me a private message if you prefer to do that instead of posting everything here on the forum.

RLMMG

Post by RLMMG » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:16 am

I kinda of got a gift I think. I tried using a sock over the mask and it seemed fine but I see leaks on chart but the AHI is 0 hopefully thats right. All the best. Well my children are busy with their presents so I had a free minute.
screenshot-20191225-115625.png
screenshot-20191225-115625.png (81.82 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:27 am

Looks terrific, but if the sock covered the CO2 vent holes and didn't allow air through, you could be making things worse - you do not want to rebreathe CO2 and the vents need to be kept uncovered by anything when sleeping.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:44 am

The leaks don't really look that bad as long as they did not bother your sleep. Your machine can easily compensate for that much leak. Resmed has drawn a line in the sand and calls anything over 24 liters a high leak rate. Personally, I don't worry about leaks that are less than 35, and have changed Oscar to only flag leaks over 35 as large leaks.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:31 pm

Julie wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:27 am
Looks terrific, but if the sock covered the CO2 vent holes and didn't allow air through, you could be making things worse - you do not want to rebreathe CO2 and the vents need to be kept uncovered by anything when sleeping.
This isn't true, Socks aren't air tight.
Rebreathing *some* CO2 is an accepted treatment for some central apneas.
For that matter, bedding isn't air tight, most pillow cases aren't air tight.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:35 pm

RLMMG wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:37 pm

When I had my sleep study in the hospital I was just under severe so this truly is answered prayers. I am going to keep well enough alone for now. I started with this F20 Airtouch large mask because it was what was given to me at the hospital when they gave me a split study but I know they don't last forever and wondering if I should try something else or stick to what is working as these seem expensive but a small price to pay for your health. Do you know approx how long these last
So, masks. Masks generally consist of four or so parts and can be cleaned. You can buy an entire new mask or you can buy parts. Some parts need replacing sooner than others. An entire new mask requires a script in the US but parts do not. Typically cushions are the first to show wear followed by the headgear. The plastic frame and the portion that actually connects to the hose are typically the most durable. Personally, I tend to keep at least one spare of everything on hand...just in case something breaks.

Now, the F20 (my mask as well). As others have noted you can use either the silicone or memory foam cushions. They fit a bit different and I personally much prefer the foam. But the memory foam does not last as long and is intended to not be washed (although some here manage). The foam also wears much quicker. If I am paying out of pocket, Amazon for about $30 each. And I replace them monthly. I replaced the headgear at about 9 months. All the rest is original (more than a year at this point).

Now, washing. With foam, I personally just use a wipe each morning. I replace the foam monthly and wash the rest of the mask.

If I were using silicone, I would probably wash the cushion every two weeks. Gently in warm water with mild soap. There are many other equally valid opinions here on washing...I am only sharing mine. I would expect to get at least three months on the silicone cushion. And some get way longer than that!

So, new mask or try something else? An easy one is to get a silicone cushion for the F20. Less than $30 and you can see if you like it better. And it will last longer.

Try another mask? Yes if: there is something about your current mask that bothers you or you want to try a different style (nose only for example). Otherwise, I may get a spare of what you have.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:26 pm

PR - I said IF - your own quality control is slipping!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 pm

Julie wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:26 pm
PR - I said IF - your own quality control is slipping!
*if* the sock covered the vents it would not matter.
Stop with the scare tactics.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:26 pm

RLMMG wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:16 am
the mask
Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:31 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 pm
Latex Gummi Socks.JPG

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:46 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:31 pm
palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 pm
Latex Gummi Socks.JPG
One would have to press those socks against the vents, otherwise you'd get that annoying farting/squealing noise.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:19 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:46 pm
farting/squealing