How to cool air without causing rainout?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
metallikat36

How to cool air without causing rainout?

Post by metallikat36 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 am

I don't use the heat on my tubing. I just use a cozy on the tube to prevent rainout and never have an issue. But on hotter nights my face gets hot and sticky and itchy in my FitLife total face mask. It affects my sinuses too. I do better with cooler air. I would like a way to cool the air coming onto my face without causing rainout. Any ideas?

DreamDiver

Re: How to cool air without causing rainout?

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:04 am

metallikat36 wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 am
I don't use the heat on my tubing. I just use a cozy on the tube to prevent rainout and never have an issue. But on hotter nights my face gets hot and sticky and itchy in my FitLife total face mask. It affects my sinuses too. I do better with cooler air. I would like a way to cool the air coming onto my face without causing rainout. Any ideas?
You say your heat is turned off to the tube. Is the humidifier also turned off? When you use an unheated humidifier, it's sometimes referred to as 'pass-over' mode. Using it in pass-over mode is technically cooling the air going into your mask because of evaporation. It may not be enough on hot nights with no air conditioning, but it's probably better than keeping the humidifier turned on. Unlikely but on hotter nights, can you go without the tube cozy?

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:17 am

metallikat36 wrote:
I would ditch the heavier heated hose in favor of a slimline hose. Heep your humidifier turned off, but keep water in the humidifier tub. Using the Fit life mask makes it harder because it covers so much of your face. Have you tried a smaller FF Mask? The air cannot be cooler than your room air.

metallikat36

Post by metallikat36 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:52 pm

I do use the humidifier on a medium-ish setting. I will give pass-over a try. I don't use a FF mask because even that impacts the sinuses for me.

What's the advantage of the slimline hose? Greater ratio of hose surface area to air volume, resulting in greater potential for heat dissipation? If so, I would guess that is only relevant if the room air is cooler than the hose air, which I guess would not be true if humidifier is off. Same would apply for the rationale of removing the cozy, right?

What would happen if I used cold or even ice water in pass-over mode?

Looks like there is a trade-off between having cooler air and and having humidity.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:56 pm

You are using the total face mask..I would consider that a Full Face Mask. As long as you are using humidity, the air will be warmer than your room air. The water needs to heat to give off humidity. If the humidity is off, the room air and the air through the CPAP should be about the same.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:56 pm

20 minutes was the longest I have been able to tolerate the fitlife.
The only time in my life I have felt claustrophobic!
Good luck with that mask.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:44 am

metallikat36 wrote:
cool air can't hold as much humidity.
cool=dry. That's why when the temperature drops outside, you get fog, and dew on everything, and why water condenses out of the air on cold cans/bottles.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ger365

Post by ger365 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:16 am

How about trying 1 or 2 ice cubes with the pass over?

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:54 am

ger365 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:16 am
How about trying 1 or 2 ice cubes with the pass over?
This is a fun experiment. A number of people tried this a few years ago. No harm in trying it for yourself, I think. Works for some, but not most.

viewtopic/t60590/Ice-Cube-Idea-Opinions ... iated.html

Chris

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris