Pillows!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Diotima

Pillows!

Post by Diotima » Fri May 22, 2020 4:44 pm

What pillow does anyone use?

I mostly use a Bean72 buckwheat pillow, but I also have a CPAPMax 2.0 but have not used it much since I got the buckwheat pillow.

jimbud

Re: Pillows!

Post by jimbud » Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3 ... UTF8&psc=1

ComfyComfy Premium Buckwheat Pillow, Standard Size (20” x 26”), Comes with Extra 2 lb of USA Grown Buckwheat Hulls to Customize for Comfort, Made from Durable Organic Cotton Twill :D

x2
No regrets. :wink:

JPB

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 pm

After trying several different pillows, I realized the best choice was the one
I WAS ALREADY USING.
Yep--the same one.
Since it has been ten years, not always exactly the same one, but close enough.
We tried a contoured foam pillow made specifically for cpap.
That monstrosity was the absolute WORST ever.
Buckwheat was NOISY --AF, if you get my drift.
Our honeymoon was rarely as noisy as that crinkly beast.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm

I have used buckwheat for about 5-6 years

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 pm

search.php?keywords=%22bed+pillows%22

Mine is in my profile below.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Diotima

Post by Diotima » Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 am

jimbud wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q3 ... UTF8&psc=1

ComfyComfy Premium Buckwheat Pillow, Standard Size (20” x 26”), Comes with Extra 2 lb of USA Grown Buckwheat Hulls to Customize for Comfort, Made from Durable Organic Cotton Twill :D

x2
No regrets. :wink:

JPB
I almost bought one of those! I like also Buckwheats because they're mostly made by independent sellers and not big corporations. I think I chose Beans72 because it was cheaper and favorably reviewed.

Deborah K.

Buckwheat Pillows

Post by Deborah K. » Sun May 24, 2020 8:30 pm

I slept on a buckwheat pillow for just a couple of nights many years ago. At the time I found it rather hard and quite noisy. Now that I have apnea, and would like to keep my chin up while asleep, I wonder if a buckwheat pillow might be a good idea.

I am presently sleeping on a very old Tempurpedic flat top pillow out of which I hand cut a deep hole (leaving just a little on the bottom) to support my neck and keep my head back. It works pretty well, but I find I have to consciously readjust my head back often.

So, those of you who use buckwheat pillows:

1. Do they help you position your head well to avoid apnea?
2. Can you position your head in one position and find that you can stay there without effort?
2. Did you find them noisy and hard at first? If so, did it take you long to adjust?

Thanks for any input!
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

PaulKTF

Post by PaulKTF » Sun May 24, 2020 10:37 pm

I use an EnduriMed memory foam pillow and I love it! It lets me sleep on my side comfortably with a FFM on. Highly recommended! :)

-Paul.

Diotima

Re: Buckwheat Pillows

Post by Diotima » Mon May 25, 2020 7:32 am

Deborah K. wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:30 pm
I slept on a buckwheat pillow for just a couple of nights many years ago. At the time I found it rather hard and quite noisy. Now that I have apnea, and would like to keep my chin up while asleep, I wonder if a buckwheat pillow might be a good idea.

I am presently sleeping on a very old Tempurpedic flat top pillow out of which I hand cut a deep hole (leaving just a little on the bottom) to support my neck and keep my head back. It works pretty well, but I find I have to consciously readjust my head back often.

So, those of you who use buckwheat pillows:

1. Do they help you position your head well to avoid apnea?
2. Can you position your head in one position and find that you can stay there without effort?
2. Did you find them noisy and hard at first? If so, did it take you long to adjust?

Thanks for any input!
1. Yes you can mold the pillow and the hulls dont move much

2. Yes... except for me I tend to move a lot in my sleep

3. Not noisy at all... I don't even hear it.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon May 25, 2020 9:27 am

Deborah K. wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:30 pm
I like to think of mine as "nice and firm", not hard. :D

Mine are not noisy at all. They might be making a bit of a crinkling sound ? So slight I do not notice.

I was able to adjust and sleep on them immediately.

After talking to several people who have had negative experiences with them. I came to the conclusion that most tried out a cheap brand of pillow. I feel that it is one of those "you get what you pay for" situations.

I also think it is probably a YMMV thing. Like so much is with this therapy. Much like finding the right mask. :wink:

JPB

MeToo

Post by MeToo » Mon May 25, 2020 1:54 pm

I like the stability of the buckwheat but find a millet/buckwheat combo to be best.https://www.amazon.com/Bean-Products-Wh ... r=1-8&th=1

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon May 25, 2020 3:08 pm

MeToo wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:54 pm
I like the stability of the buckwheat but find a millet/buckwheat combo to be best.https://www.amazon.com/Bean-Products-Wh ... r=1-8&th=1
apropos of nothing, i LOVE your avatar!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Tue May 26, 2020 11:51 pm

I use a beat in rest cpap pillow because my sleep clinic gave me one. It was quite firm when I first got it but over the many months I have used it that it’s softened up to just the right amount that I like. While I probably could make so with a normal pillow that having a cpap pillow is nice when using a FFM not for sleeping on my side but when my back aches and I flip in my stomach to sleep. The side. Itches allow my face to lie comfortably face down on the pillow without jamming the full face mask into my skull.