Tender (swollen/sore) inside bottom lip

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Karen Avery

Tender (swollen/sore) inside bottom lip

Post by Karen Avery » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 am

Though my full mask is sitting between my bottom lip and chin, I have begun getting tenderness inside my mouth below my bottom lip where the mask rests. (Feels maybe like my bottom lip is being pressed against or wrapped over my bottom teeth while I'm asleep, but I'm asleep when it happens, so I'm not sure.) Nothing has changed, but I'm only in my first month of using a CPAP, and I guess the pressure on my bottom lip has built up over time. My ResMed MyAir has me at 100% most nights :D , so I'm reluctant to change, but would like to hear what others do when they encounter this.
Thank you!

ChicagoGranny

Re: Tender (swollen/sore) inside bottom lip

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:59 am

Karen Avery wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 am
Though my full mask is sitting between my bottom lip and chin, I have begun getting tenderness inside my mouth below my bottom lip where the mask rests.
The mask in your profile should be sized/adjusted to that the bottom rests in the indent between you bottom lip and chin. It should sit just below the roots of the bottom teeth. Since you have tenderness inside the mouth, it sounds like the bottom of the mask is sitting too high. You could try adjusting the headgear. How high on the bridge of the nose is the mask sitting?

Karen Avery

Post by Karen Avery » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Karen Avery wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 am
Though my full mask is sitting between my bottom lip and chin, I have begun getting tenderness inside my mouth below my bottom lip where the mask rests.
The mask in your profile should be sized/adjusted to that the bottom rests in the indent between you bottom lip and chin. It should sit just below the roots of the bottom teeth. Since you have tenderness inside the mouth, it sounds like the bottom of the mask is sitting too high. You could try adjusting the headgear. How high on the bridge of the nose is the mask sitting?
Thanks, @ChicagoGranny. I was wondering about the length of the mask, too. Though I said nothing had changed, I do recall frequently adjusting the mask higher on my nose, so the mask wasn't sitting below the bridge and leaning on my nostrils. Those hikes up would certainly account for the bottom of the mask shifting up, too. Thanks for one possible reason/solution. I'll see if loosening the straps slightly will relieve the pressure without causing leaks. I appreciate this group and wish you health.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:27 am

BTW, there some good youtube videos with tips for sizing, adjustment, etc. - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=airfit+f20