Humidifiers and dry mouth question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sonno

Humidifiers and dry mouth question

Post by sonno » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi- Wondering if anyone has opinions on both the Respironics and Resmed humidifiers. I am using Respironics CPAP at fixed pressure of 10.5 with the full face mask ( the mask is nasal cushion with full mask over mouth for those unfamiliar). I get incredibly dry mouth every night, while machine uses about 3/4 of the purified water tank. I do have high leaks ( 10-20%) and trying to correct those. Hose is supposed to be heated but not sure its working right. Humdifier is about at bed height. Does Resmed unit perhaps give better humidification? Appreciate opinions. Thanks

Pugsy

Re: Humidifiers

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:04 pm

At what setting for the humidity?

Dry mouth is a common complaint even among full face mask users using maximum humidity. It's simply from mouth breathing and the humidifier can't crank out enough moisture to hydrate the oral cavity well enough to eliminate dry mouth in some people.
Maybe they do more mouth breathing...maybe they take medications which tend to dry out the mouth...maybe just unlucky.

At any rate the humidifiers weren't ever designed to add a lot of moisture to the oral cavity. Instead they were designed to help hydrate the nasal cavity which is much smaller.

If you can increase your humidity level...increase it and see if it helps or not.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sonno

Post by sonno » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi Pugsy, thanks for the response. It is currently set at max humidity ( I think its a 5).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:34 pm

Ahhh...max at 5 already.
While ResMed machines with the heated hose can go to 8...it's still essentially the same amount of moisture at around 90% that Respironics delivers at the 5 setting. Just more in between options.

Dry mouth and full face masks....tons of discussion here on the forum.
Obviously we look at medication side effects first because so many meds can cause dry mouth or even some other health conditions but once those are eliminated we have to face the fact that some people just get a dry mouth easier than others and it doesn't take a lot of mouth breathing to dry the mouth out. Just unlucky.

I am sure some people in the same boat will come along and offer options to you that work for them. Usually some sort of oral hydrating agent at bedtime. I can't offer any because I really haven't had any personal experience to draw upon. I see a product called Xylimelts offered as being used often and well liked. Biotene makes some oral hydrating products as well.
I do know of some people who will still tape their mouths or use chin straps even with using a full face mask to avoid mouth breathing.
I never could understand that someone would do that and still use a full face mask but I guess if that's what they like doing then it's okay.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:49 pm

sonno wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:24 pm
Hi Pugsy, thanks for the response. It is currently set at max humidity ( I think its a 5).
Since you are maxed out you are going to need lots of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IA ... UTF8&psc=1
I keep it at my bedside and spray 2-3 squirts on my tongue before putting on the mask. If one wakes up dry, take a drink of water and a few more sprays. Then back to bed.
"

Pugsy

Re: Humidifiers and dry mouth question

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Side note....I changed you topic to include the dry mouth issues to get the attention of the forum members who have had similar issues so they could offer what works for them.

sonno

Post by sonno » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks to both for the ideas. Ill try the biotene etc. Many thanks

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:15 pm

I've had a lot of success with these: https://www.amazon.com/Spry-Xylitol-Min ... 466&sr=8-3 They're easy to pop under your tongue even while using the machine, if you were to arouse but don't want to break up your sleep. The drying of the mouth is exacerbated by high pressures; given that it is unlikely that you're using too much pressure, I wouldn't put too much stock in it, but it's worth mentioning.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

WakingKnowledge

Post by WakingKnowledge » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:20 pm

McSleepy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:15 pm
I've had a lot of success with these: https://www.amazon.com/Spry-Xylitol-Min ... 466&sr=8-3 They're easy to pop under your tongue even while using the machine, if you were to arouse but don't want to break up your sleep. The drying of the mouth is exacerbated by high pressures; given that it is unlikely that you're using too much pressure, I wouldn't put too much stock in it, but it's worth mentioning.

McSleepy
I will try this as well. Just ordered them. Thanks! :) It could be it is better than the spray.
"

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:03 pm

When I started with my Respironics, with humidifier, heated tube, and full face mask I was getting a very dry mouth and also drooling inside the mask. I bought an inexpensive chin strap from Amazon to help in keeping my mouth closed and also started using the Biotene mouth rinse just before going to bed. The combination of the chin strap and Biotene has worked well and I've had no more dry mouth or drool problems.
If this chin strap wears out I may get something of a bit better quality, but this one has worked OK....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C4QWFXV/ref=dp_prsubs_2

klm49

Post by klm49 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:09 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:34 pm

I never could understand that someone would do that and still use a full face mask but I guess if that's what they like doing then it's okay.

I am one of those, full face mask and mouth taping. I tried Biotene and it didn't help. The only thing that works for me is taping and still sometimes the tape leaks and I will have a dry mouth, but nowhere near as bad as not using the tape. I have never used anything but a full face mask and don't know how others would work for me.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

sonno

Post by sonno » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Just read that alcohol in mouthwash can cause dry mouth. I've been using a mouthwash containing alcohol (Listerine) before bed and having very dry mouth with ffm. Switching to a different wash without alcohol (crest). Hope that helps.