Using CPAP with 3rd Facial Nerve PHN

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ikon

Using CPAP with 3rd Facial Nerve PHN

Post by Ikon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:44 pm

Hello all,

Years ago, I had shingles on my third facial nerve which migrated into my eye. It ran its course, but I've had to deal with some intense PHN (Post Herpetic Neuralgia) over the years. My sleep doc is scheduling my sleep study now but is confident I have some level of complex apnea based on initial tests and is expecting the use of a Cpap or Bipap machine. PHN pain in the eye is something I would do most anything to avoid - but I also want to start sleeping better - and all the masks over-lap the 3rd facial nerve region. I think my primary fear is air hitting the eye since wind has often been a trigger for the PHN pain.

Anyone else have experience with 3rd facial nerve PHN that has also walked down this path? I kinda hope not - but I could use any guidance I could get on this - especially kinds of gear to push for.

-Ikon

Julie

Re: Using CPAP with 3rd Facial Nerve PHN

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:10 pm

What about a little piece of (non-cooling gel type) memory foam just under (beside?) your eye held with tape or part of the mask itself, to block any air leak and/or mask pressure?

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:39 am

Have not had PHN myself. Had some nervy twinges that made me wonder if it was brewing. My mother had trigeminal neuralgia. If I were trying to avoid that pain I would try to select a mask with least opportunity for offense yet still able to meet your needs, probably a nasal pillows style mask if you are able to breathe through your nose. Now, the nose is mighty close to the eye, so I can't say if that will be cause for consideration. Only you will know your triggers. If air temperature affects your nerve pain, that's another thing to think about. Have you browsed masks to check out your options? Our hosts at cpap.com have an online shop you can browse. If you want to go with something with zero straps or facial contact and you have no dental contraindications, the Tap Pap is one of my favorites. Just a tip, if you do get that mask, be careful to read the watch-outs for fitting the mouthpiece. Easy to let it firm up too snug and get it stuck. :shock: Even with that mask, in the early days of use the teeth can ache, and that's still pretty close to those nerves. Good luck figuring things out. Hopefully someone with the exact same problem will come along and share their experience.

Ikon

Post by Ikon » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:51 am

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'll need a full face mask - but I'm hoping I can get one of the hybrid masks - dreamwear, airlift f30 - to work as they are the furthest from the eyes. The point about air temp is a good detail to think about. Perhaps a heated hose would help. It's a journey - and I don't know enough - to know what I don't know.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:56 am

Ikon wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:51 am
I'm hoping I can get one of the hybrid masks
Don't be that way. Demand the mask you want. Be in control of this process. It's your therapy and health. Not the health of your medical professionals.

As far as air in eyes, how about a simple night mask? I use the ones they give out on airlines.

Ikon

Post by Ikon » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:14 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:56 am
Ikon wrote:
I'm hoping I can get one of the hybrid masks
Don't be that way. Demand the mask you want. Be in control of this process. It's your therapy and health. Not the health of your medical professionals.
Indeed. I've already made my preferences known in terms of the masks I want to try first.
But, I'm just getting started on this and my understanding is that my face with its contours and nuances will have as much control in the process as my preferences.
So, I guess I meant to say that I hope the hybrid masks will work for me.
I know you can make things tighter or looser - but to what extent does it make sense to force a fit?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:53 am

Ikon wrote:
dreamwear, airlift f30
IMO, either of these two masks is a good way to start. I really like the hose attaching to the headgear. There is virtually no pull on the mask as with more conventional models that connect to the front of the mask. These two masks also have a smaller footprint than most FFMs. And, the user can read while wearing either of these masks.

None of that means they will work well for you, since we are all individuals. But, they are a good place to start.

Since the manufacturers use mask names that can be confusing, be precise in what you order:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/philip ... k-fit-pack

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -face-mask

Final point, some of the manufacturers allow a free exchange for another model within 30 days.

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:25 pm

Ikon wrote:
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'll need a full face mask - but I'm hoping I can get one of the hybrid masks - dreamwear, airlift f30 - to work as they are the furthest from the eyes. The point about air temp is a good detail to think about. Perhaps a heated hose would help. It's a journey - and I don't know enough - to know what I don't know.
If you've never been treated with CPAP before, don't make that assumption. Many people who think they are incurable mouth breathers find out that their mouth suddenly knows how to stay closed when they can breathe while asleep.

It would certainly be way better in terms of the neuralgia if you could use a nasal mask of some sort, especially pillows or the Bleep mask (a category on its own)...

Ikon

Post by Ikon » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:46 pm

khauser wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:25 pm
Ikon wrote:
If you've never been treated with CPAP before, don't make that assumption. Many people who think they are incurable mouth breathers find out that their mouth suddenly knows how to stay closed when they can breathe while asleep.

It would certainly be way better in terms of the neuralgia if you could use a nasal mask of some sort, especially pillows or the Bleep mask (a category on its own)...
Thanks Khauser,

I'm mostly assuming the full face mask - not based on how I currently sleep - but how I breathe when I'm awake.
I have frequent congestion, so I'm breathing through my mouth off and on during most days.
So, my assumption is that this pattern would repeat while sleeping.
But it's just guessing until I get started.

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Ikon wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:46 pm
Thanks Khauser,

I'm mostly assuming the full face mask - not based on how I currently sleep - but how I breathe when I'm awake.
I have frequent congestion, so I'm breathing through my mouth off and on during most days.
So, my assumption is that this pattern would repeat while sleeping.
But it's just guessing until I get started.
Hmm ... is that congestion at all seasonal? Any idea what is causing it? That's likely to be an ongoing issue ... would be good to get a handle on it.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Have you tried Flonase for the congestion?

Ikon

Post by Ikon » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:51 pm

These are strange days actually. Apparently, I lost enough weight, and as a result enough inflammation, where my neuralgia pain is mostly at bay. And it has been quite a while since that has been the case. When I experience that pain, it blocks out all the other pain issues for me - even migraines go to the background. Which is why I would do most anything to avoid the triggers. The apnea diagnosis came about because I wasn't having to deal with the neuralgia pain and I was becoming more aware of the daily energy zaps, and the morning headaches, and the utter lack of restorative sleep. The congestion is another newly recognized thing I'm recognizing. So, I haven't tried Flonaze - or much of anything else. Best as I can tell, it's seasonal.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:11 pm

Then why not see an allergist and get proper treatment - sometimes over the counter antihistamines can keep you awake at night (I use a little melatonin to counter it) which is not helpful if you have apnea.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Ikon wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:46 pm
I have frequent congestion
Julie's right. I believe everyone who has obstructive sleep apnea should have their airway examined by an ENT. And if a person has bothersome nasal congestion, the ENT may want to run allergy tests.

Ikon

Post by Ikon » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:11 pm
Then why not see an allergist and get proper treatment - sometimes over the counter antihistamines can keep you awake at night (I use a little melatonin to counter it) which is not helpful if you have apnea.
I want to walk this path for a bit - get my tech - and try it with the humidity. That will result in either some effect or no effect on my congestion. So, it may have a profound impact on my congestion - I've read some accounts where that has happened. And I may be able to migrate to a nasal mask. I may need to go to an allergist, but I'm holding off on that until I get started with Cpap to see how I react.