Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GrumpyHere

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by GrumpyHere » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:08 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:05 pm
HairyReasoner wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:35 pm
palerider wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:26 pm
HairyReasoner wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm
BIPAP,
Since "BiPAP™" is a trademark of Philips Respironics, can we start moving to permanently banning the incorrect generic use of that term to mean "Bilevel" machine?
Maybe we can shorten it to Bilevel to save on typing machine all the time.
That is what most people call them... let me fix the quotes in my suggestiopn.
How about just "BiLev”? Even less typing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:04 am

GrumpyHere wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:08 pm
How about just "BiLev”? Even less typing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you want to be that way, then just go with BPAP,
CPAP, APAP, BPAP. Of course, there's five+ different versions of BPAP... BPAP, ABPAP, TBPAP, ASVBPAP, IVAPSBPAP. and in the S9 COPDBPAP... so,

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:47 am

HairyReasoner wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:59 pm

On another note, I called Blue Cross Blue Shield, and it looks like you can forget any help from them if they're your insurer. Their position is this is up to Phillips and your DME to make right. We should be pressing them to either fix/replace our unit or give us a temporary loaner until we can get our machine fixed/repaired. They're not budging on waiving the 5 year requirement.
BCBS is a federation of 35 US corporations. Each corporation has its own policies and practices. Each corporation has multiple policies with differing benefits.

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:48 am

I am now starting to think that Philips Resperonics is the new Takata*

*The airbag manufacturer that made airbags for Honda and ended up declaring bankruptcy and ceasing to exist after a major recall.

The fact that they seem to not really know what they are doing as far as quickly handling this and sleep doctors and DME’s all starting to point fingers at each other really concerns me.

If you are waiting and were told to stop using your Philips, you may seriously want to think about getting an alternate machine, I know ResMed is running out of them now.

Woody

Post by Woody » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:23 am

While waiting for this recall crap and not knowing if my Dr's order for a new Resmed
will be approved by Medicare let along how long it will be till my DME has one I will
go to plan B. Plan B is to use the crapy Resmed S9 cpap with only has 2,300 blower hrs
or use the ancient S8 auto with only 800 blower hrs. Funny 2 years ago I offered to
almost give the S8 auto away and darn if it just might come in handy after all. What
can I say I'm a pack rat !

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

rhashimoto

Post by rhashimoto » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:12 am

HairyReasoner wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:59 pm
The representative told me that they didn't know when we'd get the emails in response to registering our units, and they didn't know anything about how the recall will work, how long it would take, or when they'd even start taking the machines for repair/replacement.
The CEO is quoted as saying the entire recall would likely take a year. I'll count myself lucky to get a repair or replacement by Christmas.

Shipping units can't begin until there is regulatory sign-off on the design and/or materials modifications they are making. Hopefully that won't be delayed by any other national health crisis the FDA might be dealing with.

Calun

Post by Calun » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:23 am

Buddy0329 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:47 pm
Tisket,

I replied to your PM.
Hi Buddy0329, can you PM me with the info to buy a Resmed AirSense 10 at a discounted price? I am new to the forum and am still unble to PM you, I have a Dreamsstation and do not know when my insurance will fix/replace the unit
Thank you

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:37 am

Calun wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:23 am
Buddy0329 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:47 pm
Tisket,

I replied to your PM.
Hi Buddy0329, can you PM me with the info to buy a Resmed AirSense 10 at a discounted price? I am new to the forum and am still unble to PM you, I have a Dreamsstation and do not know when my insurance will fix/replace the unit
Thank you
now that you've made your first post, you can pm.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Desert mans wife

Post by Desert mans wife » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:20 am

EJW372 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:48 am

*The airbag manufacturer that made airbags for Honda and ended up declaring bankruptcy and ceasing to exist after a major recall.

The fact that they seem to not really know what they are doing as far as quickly handling this and sleep doctors and DME’s all starting to point fingers at each other really concerns me.

If you are waiting and were told to stop using your Philips, you may seriously want to think about getting an alternate machine, I know ResMed is running out of them now.
I have the process started to get a new Resmed. I might even be able to pick it up today. But if Respironics ceases to exist and leaves us hanging I just might take my Dreamstation apart, take the foam out, and put it back together without (I know I'll have to reglue the housing I'll have to bust open to get the foam in order to do that.) But anyway, at least I'll have a backup machine for the $450 I spent for the Dreamstation just a month before the recall! :?

Desert mans wife

Post by Desert mans wife » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:23 am

Yesterday I was putting my little inline muffler back on the hose for my Z2 travel CPAP after cleaning the hose. And I was thinking "Now, if Respironics just had an external muffler like this instead of an internal one, they could have saved themselves (and us) a lot of trouble!

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:55 am

I just had a pleasant call with Medicare, they told me to contact my physician and just send in the sleep study results plus a note in regards to the Philips Respironics recall, including my machine's serial number, and they would cover a new machine.
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

Stilltired01

Post by Stilltired01 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:56 am

JLROhio, I just talked to the VA cpap clinic and made an appt to bring my machine in to be checked. That's what I had forgotten before. They check the machine for the problem and then if it needs to be replaced they replace it.

So I don't know if your plan of reporting noises that aren't happening will result in a new machine.

My noises are intermittent so I don't know what they are going to do. Since it's working ok now I am not bringing it in until I go to another appt in mid July. My clinic is not that easy to get to for me.

IVAPs,
WISP mask,
Invacare oxygen concentrator

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:26 pm

kbh209 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:55 am
I just had a pleasant call with Medicare, they told me to contact my physician and just send in the sleep study results plus a note in regards to the Philips Respironics recall, including my machine's serial number, and they would cover a new machine.
Thanks. That's interesting. Is your machine under five years old?

Dan_McD

Post by Dan_McD » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:53 pm

Desert mans wife wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:20 am
EJW372 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:48 am

I have the process started to get a new Resmed. I might even be able to pick it up today. But if Respironics ceases to exist and leaves us hanging I just might take my Dreamstation apart, take the foam out, and put it back together without (I know I'll have to reglue the housing I'll have to bust open to get the foam in order to do that.) But anyway, at least I'll have a backup machine for the $450 I spent for the Dreamstation just a month before the recall! :?
Nick, the guy from Australia that does all the reviews of cpap machines, showed a different way to open the tub that holds the foam from the inside of the tub. The result is you don't have to tape or reseal the opening you made to get the foam out. His YouTube videos are listed under "CPAP REVIEWS". He has done a few reviews on the recall and why the off- gassing chemicals are so dangerous.

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

biztraveler

Post by biztraveler » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:57 pm

Just got an email from my DME
Our records indicate you have a Philips device impacted by their current recall.

We are issuing a bacterial filter that can be used temporarily with your device. We have attached an instruction sheet for installing the bacterial filter. The bacterial filter package can be picked up at one of our convenient locations, which are summarized in the attached document.

To issue this package, we would require a desktop prescription from your physician stating: Bacterial Filter. Once we have the prescription in hand, we will contact you with location information and time frame for pick-up.
LOL... so I need a prescription for a bacterial filter?!