Will sleepyhead work on a small 11inch laptop?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Islandwoman

Will sleepyhead work on a small 11inch laptop?

Post by Islandwoman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:06 pm

I know Sleepyhead doesn't work on tablets so I am considering a very small laptop for travel and want to be sure that size is not an issue.

Ogeo

Re: Will sleepyhead work on a small 11inch laptop?

Post by Ogeo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:37 pm

It will depend upon the memory the new laptop has. I am using a laptop but decided I didn't want to load the program on my computer. I have what I call my "brain'. It is a passport external memory. I backup all of my files on it so if I ever have a problem with my laptop, I won't loose all my files. I have both Sleepyhead and Encore Pro on it and it works great with my laptop.

Hubby's equipment: PR System One REMstar Auto A-Flex model 560P. Doctor's orders left it open 5-20. We changed it to 8-20 after a couple nights. Start Date was 1/30/15. Oh, mask is the new nasal pico.

Discovering the world one geocache at a time!

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Screen size has nothing to do with it.
Sleepyhead will run on on any Win XP, Win 7 or OSX computer and most win 8.X.
Sleepyhead will also run on Linux, but takes a bit more effort to install.
It will not run on Win RT, Android, Chrome OS or IOS.
The computer will need an SD card slot or a USB connection with an adapter for the SD card.
I would want a computer with at least 4 GB of RAM and at least a 2 Ghz multi core processor as well as WiFi and Ethernet.
You could probably settle for a lesser machine, but I wouldn't.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm also laptop looking (window shopping) & am considering a small one. However, it was pointed out to me by a friend that there is no DVD drive on these small ones, so if you have current programs you want to install, that can be an issue. Now perhaps your "brain" has that DVD drive, therefore acting as an interface & you may not need that DVD drive. Just wanted to share that fact with you. I was almost ready to buy & when that was pointed out to me, I'm looking into solutions for this before I make the 'leap'.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:10 pm

I run SH on an 11 in HP netbook. It does not have a DVD drive, but it has a SD card slot.

PlinkerCraig

Post by PlinkerCraig » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Jen, any PC or Mac you buy new today will be a delight to you. Don't fuss over the lack of DVD drive. I can't remember the last time I opened that drive on my PC.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Sleepyhead will work but you may have to do some scrolling on the smaller screen, not a problem since the program is well laid out.

On the other hand, for other laptop users setting up Encore software (PR only), it will definitely be problematic because even on my 15.6" ASUS laptop display, I had to resort to some 'wiley tricks' to get to the setup choices one needs to enter... sadly, the Ctrl + and - display sizing is disabled by Encore, so no help there . If any prospective Encore user's need help getting it to work on a laptop, feel free to PM me, I'll find the stuff I've written in the past. I never seemed to have problems on laptops with ResScan running on a small screen - at least, none that I can remember from a 1.5 yrs ago. Not sure about the newer versions.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:28 pm

PlinkerCraig wrote:Jen, any PC or Mac you buy new today will be a delight to you. Don't fuss over the lack of DVD drive. I can't remember the last time I opened that drive on my PC.
PlinkerCraig,

Well, I just figured out I can get an external DVD drive. My concern is being able to load some existing programs I own & they may not work anymore anyway. Namely, Quicken 2007, which I probably will have to upgrade to work on Windows 8.X (I'm cheap & still using old software ). Now I can keep looking at the small 11 inch laptops without worrying that I'll miss that clunky old DVD drive. Also, many are pre-loaded with MS Office, so that saves the buyer from having to worry about buying that again too. Thanks for the input.

Islandwoman,

Let us know how you like SH on the small laptop. Should be great for portability.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

PlinkerCraig

Post by PlinkerCraig » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:41 pm

I use Quicken. I use SleepyHead.
All of the software installs over the network today.
Even movies play over the network.
My new work laptop has a nifty BluRay disk reader I probably will never use.
The world has moved beyond the disc. 2 miles from me a video store is being demolished and replaced with a MacDonald's restaurant.
Things do change. DVD players in a PC are no longer needed.

Ogeo

Post by Ogeo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:57 pm

PlinkerCraig wrote: All of the software installs over the network today.
Even movies play over the network...
DVD players in a PC are no longer needed.
That only works if you live in a town or big city or somewhere with other ways to use the internet without satelitte.I live out in the boondocks and satellite internet was my only choice up until recently. I now have dsl. With satelitte, I couldn't download large files over the internet to do updates because it is too slow. I had to have a disk sent to me and do my updates that way. So...I needed the DVD drive or an external one. Movies - I had problems watching u-tube since all it did was mostly spin and then show a sec or two, then spin for another minute. I haven't dared to even try to watch a movie yet with my dsl.

Hubby's equipment: PR System One REMstar Auto A-Flex model 560P. Doctor's orders left it open 5-20. We changed it to 8-20 after a couple nights. Start Date was 1/30/15. Oh, mask is the new nasal pico.

Discovering the world one geocache at a time!

PlinkerCraig

Post by PlinkerCraig » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:03 pm

Ogeo, understood.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:40 pm

For the few times I needed one, I have an external USB 2.0 DVD Reader/Writer which allows connection to just about any computer to provide both reading and writing. I do write data DVD's on a regular basis, but my current computers have them built in.

Most programs that I get that come on a DVD I simply export to a network drive for storage including Movies which go into my FreeNAS for access from anywhere.

Biggest problem with anything Intuit is their lack of support for already purchased software and their desire to part you with your money for updates which provide little if any benefit.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:17 pm

USB external DVD/Blu Ray readers/writers are great. I've got a couple for my various computers and they get the job done quite nicely. They aren't expensive and if your computer or laptop meets it's demise you can get a new computer and plug in your same external DVD/Blu Ray device and keep on rockin'. Yes, Blu Ray external disk drives are a bit more but they are backward compatible to CDs and DVDs. You can watch Blu Ray movies on them too if your computer hardware is up to date.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks all, I didn't expect such an informative response. I will go through everything again and take notes before I go shopping.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:52 pm

In general 11 inch laptops are a bit of a compromise - if I were you I'd test drive a 13 inch or bigger instead. I have a newer MacBook Air (14 inch) and it is tough to beat...IMHO