How much was ypur sleep study?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hensbili

How much was ypur sleep study?

Post by Hensbili » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:42 pm

I saw an old thread with the same totoe. Time for an update.

How much was your sleep study? Billed amount, amount insurance paid, amount oit pf your pocket.

I haven't gotten my bill yet and very worried. I stupidly thought at most the sleep study is going to cost at most $1000. Now I realized it goes up to $5000 or more. Had I known it cost this mich, I would have looked for an in-network sleep center. I arbitratily chose the one one block from my apartment. And my put of network deductible is $4000. What an expensive lesson. Q Q

sptrout

Re: How much was ypur sleep study?

Post by sptrout » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:52 pm

I don't have all the numbers you requested, but my out of pocket costs for both an in home study, and two weeks later for an in lab sleep study were $30 each. I have standard Silver level BCBS insurance and some how the doctor's office was able to code both studies as standard office visits.

Mask Make & Model: ResMed, AirFit P10
CPAP Pressure: 6-9
CPAP Reporting Software: OSCAR/Sleepyhead & SleepHQ

cancun

Post by cancun » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Hensbili wrote:I saw an old thread with the same totoe. Time for an update.

How much was your sleep study? Billed amount, amount insurance paid, amount oit pf your pocket.

I haven't gotten my bill yet and very worried. I stupidly thought at most the sleep study is going to cost at most $1000. Now I realized it goes up to $5000 or more. Had I known it cost this mich, I would have looked for an in-network sleep center. I arbitratily chose the one one block from my apartment. And my put of network deductible is $4000. What an expensive lesson. Q Q
Mine was a split night study, the sleep clinic billed $330 and my insurance paid $3100, no out of pocket for me as I had met my out of pocket for the year otherwise I would have paid 20% of the $3100.

bobniemann

Post by bobniemann » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:57 pm

I had mine 2 months ago. Got it all done in one night and the bill was ~ $4500. I believe I paid about $1600 out of pocket. Out of network would have been half (2250).

Good luck to you.

eta: I hadn't met my deductable yet.

ZZzseekerREM

Post by ZZzseekerREM » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:00 pm

Sleep Study #1- Polysom

Billed amount: $2000
In Network Member Rate: $649
My part: $30 copay

Sleep Study #2- Titration

Billed amount: $2000
In Network Member Rate: $680
My part: $30 copay

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Was around $1600, doctor was an additional $450. I had met both my deductable and out of pocket for the year and paid $0.00
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

rockncountry101

Post by rockncountry101 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:04 pm

I had BCBSTX Gold but my deductible is $1,500. I hadn't met my deductible, not even close in fact. So my sleep study was going to be $2,200 with me paying $1,600 of it. I went out of network and both my split-study and titration were $500 total for both.

Darkshader

Post by Darkshader » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:09 pm

At Kaiser Permanente, I didn't even need a stay-in sleep study, they just sent us home with a $5000 machine (free unless we didn't return it), which strapped to my chest, with two belts one around the chest the other around the stomach, a pulse-sensor for the finger, and air monitor for the nose and mouth. Very thorough data on apnea and hyponeas, enough for them to diagnose without a full sleep study. Didn't charge me for that. Or if they did, it's $30 and I haven't seen it yet. I will have to pay for my CPAP though, at least until I hit my deductible limit. :/
|Philips Respironics Remstar System One - Flex A Auto
|Resmed Swift FX, Nasal Pillows
|Resmed Mirage FX, Nasal Mask

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Everything depends on your insurance. The billed amount means nothing. Individual Insurance companies have agreements with providers that determines how much they will pay. The amount you pay depends on your specific policy. You are comparing pineapples to coconuts.

DxRxTx

Post by DxRxTx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:21 pm

No costs associated with the take home test and follow up assesments. No deductible. 20% copay. No compliance check ins. Trade off: have to deal with Apria.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Sleep Study $4,976.00
Neurology reading data of sleep study $1,188.00
office visit to Neurologist $ 699.00

The $1,188.00 got reduced to $245.79...

I don't remember how much the others got reduced.. This in March 2013.

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Keep in mind that if you don't have insurance or you have a high deductible you can sometimes negotiate a "cash" price with the sleep center (NOTE: you cannot negotiate a cash price with a provider who has a contract with your insurer as that would violate their contract with that insurer--use a non-contracted provider).

I don't know how successful this strategy is, but I've seen news reports that people who need MRI's may be quoted a few thousand dollars but manage to negotiate it down to a few hundred.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:46 am

Here is one of mine. One of the most expensive I have seen mentioned in the last few years. Had I known in advance, I probably would have waited even longer to get treated, so I'm glad I didn't know. And I had a really good sleep study. I had a split night study, so all done in one night. My sleep tech was great and really helped me feel comfortable, and she fitted me with the perfect mask. I slept pretty well during the diagnosis (well for me, anyway). And I slept awesomely well during the titration. she put the mask on me, I rolled over, and slept over 5 hours straight. I had a really good start with a severe diagnosis to get me serious about treatment and a taste of an awesome night of sleep to keep me working at it. And the right mask from the start. I did have fitting and leaking issues at home, but I know it would work since it had worked at the sleep study.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:04 am

Insurance covered mine at 100%... I literally had two copays for my pulmonologist and that's it. Overnight split study didn't even send me a statement. Nice place, but I later got bed bugs in my house and it might've been from them. Anthem insurance.

valsedai

Post by valsedai » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:13 am

Home sleep study $600, had to do it twice due to sensors falling off.

I had already paid my deductible for the year, so it was covered completely by insurance.