CPAP use causes major sinus problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bluewave

CPAP use causes major sinus problems

Post by bluewave » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:32 pm

I have moderate OSA and was prescribed a ResMed Airsense 10 machine with a "nasal pillow" type of mask. I'm about ready to throw this %#$% thing out a window. Every time I use it, it causes sinus issues. It doesn't matter if I have a brand new mask on it. It doesn't matter that I religiously have kept the humidifier container sanitized and filled with fresh distilled water. I wake up with a chronic running nose, stuffed up nostrils (usually one or the other but not both at the same time), and the most intense sneeze-causing irritation when I inhale (this is always in my left nostril, which has a moderately deviated septum, and man, it's such an intense irritation when it comes on that the sneeze reflex stops me in my tracks).

I've gone to an allergist, thinking that I had an allergy. She ran me through a battery of tests and they all came out negative. No allergies. She did, however, put me on steroidal nose spray that is designed for allergies. This has done nothing to help. I told her and she recommended another over-the-counter anti-allergy nose spray called FloNase. Which also was useless advice, because it not only did nothing to help, it seemed to exacerbate the problem. And when the problem came on, I was taking Sudafed, Mucinex, Benadryl, Claritin and Wal-Fex (not all at the same time) to try to fight the symptoms, so I didn't want yet another medication, especially one that seemed to be having an opposite effect on the problem.

So I went off everything -- CPAP machine, all medications, everything. My sinus problems cleared up and I felt a lot better. But, aware that I still have an apnea problem and was doing nothing to treat it, I went back on the CPAP a couple nights ago as a test. I wore it for almost exactly an hour before having to get up to go to the bathroom. And when I got up, the sinus problems were all back -- with a vengeance. I've concluded without a doubt that it's the stupid machine that is causing these problems.

I went off the CPAP again. I'm currently trying to recover from the sinus problems that it triggered a couple nights ago. I'm afraid of the blasted thing now. No way I'm going to wear it before I'm off work on Christmas vacation; don't want to ruin that with sinus problems. There has *got* to be a better treatment for this stuff. Hose on the nose ain't cutting it.

Looking for any advice from people that have had a similar experience.

Pugsy

Re: CPAP use causes major sinus problems

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:49 pm

If using the non heated hose at what humidity setting are you using on the humidifier?
Are you using a heated hose...if so at what temp and humidity setting?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bluewave

Post by Bluewave » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:23 pm

It's non-heated. I've played with the humidity settings -- right now it's on 2 (out of 4), but I've tried it on all of the settings and it doesn't seem to make much difference in helping the problem. It seems like the more humidity, the worse the problem, but I don't know if I can say that with 100% certainty yet. Just seems that way. But I still have the problem even if the humidity is set to the minimum.

I don't normally have sinus issues like this, and am not prone to allergies, as I noted before. The problems just came on from using the CPAP.

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:34 pm

pretty much the same thing happened to me, my solution. Humidity off, temp 63, and no water in the tank. No more congestion. Find your spot, don't assume anything.
Sleeping MUCH better now

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:45 pm

If local climate and/or room humidity is relatively high, you don't need the humidifier at all (unless you like it). I haven't used one in a long time. It's not therapy, just a facilitator for Cpap when appropriate.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Problem is, this is winter in Colorado, which has THE DRYEST climate of any place I've ever lived.
I think I've already tried it without the humidifier on and I still end up with problems, but maybe I'll give it another go. Maybe not until after Christmas holiday, though, because man, I do NOT want to be dealing with this crapola on my vacation and when I'm hosting a huge Christmas Eve party.

Bluewave

Post by Bluewave » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Whoops, forgot to fill in my user name on that last post.
And that was "driest," not "dryest."

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Bluewave wrote: The problems just came on from using the CPAP.
Just thinking through some possibilities, what is near the machine? A HVAC vent blowing on the machine could wreak havoc. A plant that you are allergic to. A kitty bed.

The machine does have an air filter over the air intake port - check that it is in place.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

Rmcneel@jbhm.com

Post by Rmcneel@jbhm.com » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:28 am

Solution....I have this very same problem and found the solution years ago. 1st stop the immediate sinus crud....A pharmacist told me to use children’s Dimetapp...yes children’s. Really? Yes it stops the sneezing and running nose that is like a river after a few doses. 2nd stop this from happening......use the heated water section of your CPAP on the highest setting....like 4 or 5.....if your air is dry you are going to continue to have these issues......3rd.....keep the CPAP clean.

Nothing else but Children’s Dimetapp will stop the sinus running for me, as I tried everything like Bluewave.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:03 am

Old thread re-activated. Putting this out there for other newbies. I had a very, very runny nose in the early weeks of CPAP therapy, it started a few minutes after I took my mask off. I guess it lasted about a month. Luckily by the time I was out of the shower, it had slowed considerably. I played with the humidifier setting but never found that sweet spot until after the runny-ness stopped. Sleep doc not too concerned (wasn't his nose right) said the first month or so might be just plain weird. He liked my numbers.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

CreativeChris

Post by CreativeChris » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:38 am

I had the same issue. I have always had sinus issues and have found that LOWER humidity and just moderate heat for the hose works best. When I had high humidity I would wake up with horrible sinus pressure and congestion. I assumed that the moist air would feel better, then I realized I get the majority of sinus pain when it is humid. That being said it way need to be adjusted in the winter. On my Dreamstation I have humidity on 1 and hose temp on 3 and wake up with no issues. In fact I have found that since starting therapy my sinus swelling has been drastically reduced; I would assume it is the CPAP pressure keeping the swelling at bay.

I do wake up with a little scratchiness in my throat but it goes away within 30 minutes upon wakening which is NOTHING compared to a full on sinus headache.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:05 am

Before taking drugs to counteract nasal issues, consider "flushing" them! I had a deviated septum so bad I could not move air through it without moving my nose over. After having that fixed, I found that side was VERY sensitive to air moving through it for the first time in decades. Doctor told me to use the saline nasal sprays. Typical patient, I failed to use them properly or regularly. Should have known better. With the CPAP treatment there is a lot of air moving through my nose all night now. I used to mouth breathe a lot in sleep.

So, there was some nasal irritation. I FORCED myself to use the saline nasal sprays correctly. Including gagging when I felt it go down my throat! Well, horrible picture and thought that leaves, it really helps. I am over the worst of the gag reflex and just put my head back a bit and spray! Spit it up and out, blow the rest out after just a bit. This virtually eliminates bugger build-up! Nose feels free and clear and unrestricted. Really seems to calm my sinuses when on the machine. While this might seem too simple to be effective, it sure works and is a daily routine for me now. Just like the Doctor said!

How many Gags did I get from reading this?

It is what it is, but it sure has helped. Cheap too!
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:07 am

Since you seem to be having a sinus problem with nasal pillows, you might want to try a nasal mask, This will not directly touch your nostrils.

Consider that this might be a contact allergy to the materials in the nasal pillows, even though you tested negative for allergies.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 am

Or not . . .

clenchingtobreathe

Post by clenchingtobreathe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:54 am

Just got over a bout of rhinitis after letting the water get low in my humidifier. I certainly agree that everyone has a different comfort level and you will have to find yours! I can only turn my humidifier up to 7...and I would go to 10! if I could!

I HAVE found this wonderful little product called NeilMed NasoGel for dry noses. It's wonderful for me while using CPAP! In fact, it says on the label "for users of CPAP or oxygen." You might check it out....

https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Nasogel- ... noses&th=1