Anxious about first night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Zzznomore

Anxious about first night

Post by Zzznomore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

Newly diagnosed, and tonight is my first night with my ResMed AirSense 10 APAP and Phillips Dreamware mask.

I'm excited to start feeling better. No doubt there. But I am anxious. During my home sleep study I had sever trouble falling asleep. I normally can't stand any restriction, pulling, tugging, rubbing at all. The mask does not seem as bad as the home sleep study gear, but it's not totally weightless either.

If you could give me ONE tip to make it a good first night, what would it be?

andy2016

Re: Anxious about first night

Post by andy2016 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:44 pm

I am a newbie myself. I would say make sure you are really tired prior to going to bed to put the mask on. I tried going to bed early and all I did was toss and turn and feel anxious. Not good.

Additional Comments: Started CPAP therapy June 13, 2016.......Sleep study showed AHI of 67.5. I use sleepyhead software. Pressure setting 11 to 14.5.

spmccord

Post by spmccord » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Be patient and realistic. It takes a while (a week or so) to get used to wearing a mask to bed.

And do expect miracles overnight. Things will get better.

tiredgrl

Post by tiredgrl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:01 pm

Maybe spend some time wearing the mask while you watch TV, before you go to bed, to get used to how it feels.

Bons

Post by Bons » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:16 pm

Do not give yourself permission to take it off and try again tomorrow if it bugs you. Do not take it off partway through the night if it wakes you up due to a leak or because you have to take a leak. Tough it out!

Some people take to it right away and some people need a few days/weeks to get used to it. But if you give yourself an excuse not to use it one night, it's hard to get back to using it again.

SleepDepraved2

Post by SleepDepraved2 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Even after years of using mine, I still get the occasional feeling of panic with the mask on.

What I usually do is concentrate on breathing slowly and deeply, counting my breaths. This usually makes the panicked feeling pass and helps me to relax.

You can also try 4-7-8 breathing to help relax and fall asleep. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/VDR00112/Th ... ation.html

I find it works well to help me relax, though I don't get the immediate lights out that some people claim they get with it.

CABINHOLLOW

Post by CABINHOLLOW » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Tuesday was my first night...and I like you were apprehensive. I'm claustrophobic...and thought I would struggle terribly. It took me a about an hour and some stern self talk to get to the point of falling asleep. I don't know how everyone else responded to their diagnosis and subsequent list of things that not treating my moderate sleep apnea could cause...but it was a wake up call for me. So I didn't let myself think it was optional!! The next morning...I felt really good...I didn't have that foggy feeling and had more energy!

Tips:
Be sure you are tired before going to bed.
Tell yourself this is for your health!! What's more important than that?
Remind yourself that this is going to make you feel better!!
Remember you aren't alone! I just joined this site tonight but have been lurking There is a lot of valuable information here and people who are willing to answer questions.

Good luck!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Aclyesia

Post by Aclyesia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:17 pm

This past Monday was my first night and I was surprised that, despite having anxiety and claustrophobic tendencies with anything on my face, I did very well!

Tips I got that helped me get through the first night were:

1) Go to bed early and give yourself time to adjust.
2) Wind down with the mask on and the machine on. I watched anime for about an hour before actually settling in for sleep.
3) Don't change how you sleep to accommodate the mask. Make the mask accommodate you. I had to move the tubes and pin them back with an extra pillow, but fell right asleep once I was comfy on my tummy under the covers...with one temperature-regulating foot poked out just far enough so it was out of my 75lb german shepherd's "kiss" range.
"Of all the things to be bad at, I suck at breathing."

Imatryin

Post by Imatryin » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:45 pm

Tonight is night 8 for me. I also had surgery on my hand on day four; so I've been extra anxious and have had pain to deal with as well. What worked/is working for me is going to bed when I'm tired, absolutely no napping when I come home from work, and I set the sleep timer and watch tv to get my mind off my breathing and the feeling of the mask. Most nights, I've been so tired that I don't remember the tv going off.

With that said, I do have to admit that I have to talk myself into putting the mask on. I'm not one of the lucky ones who has felt improvements immediately. But, I think the immediate need of healing is going to my hand and injured back.

So, before I put the mask on, I scour this forum in search of reminders as to why I can't give up on the cpap, reminders as to how lucky we are to have a therapy that really works and quite literally saves our lives and health, and read success stories. Personally, I'd rather a lifetime of cpap versus one round of chemo.

Good luck tonight!

Zzznomore

Post by Zzznomore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 pm

Aclyesia, how did it go with the dog?

I've pretty much decided that I'll need to kick my bullmastiff out of bed for a while. She doesn't necessarily sleep in the bed most nights anyway, so it's not like it'll be a change. I love her but I figure it's one more thing to deal with.

egzbuen

Post by egzbuen » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:04 am

A lot of good tips alresdy given but if i may add.

Another thing you may also consider is the positioning of the hose. For the first few nights, I had trouble adjusting to the fact that there's a tube running from my face to the machine. If there's a way you can hang it so that you can still move without the hose touching your face, it would help.

Sent from heaven

Aclyesia

Post by Aclyesia » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:00 am

Zzznomore wrote:Aclyesia, how did it go with the dog?

I've pretty much decided that I'll need to kick my bullmastiff out of bed for a while. She doesn't necessarily sleep in the bed most nights anyway, so it's not like it'll be a change. I love her but I figure it's one more thing to deal with.
It went really well. She was curious about the mask on my face for 15 seconds, then was satisfied and flopped in her usual spot between my legs. She's 2 years old now and is pretty chill and accepting of changes so long as she knows I'm ok. Never been a chewer so I didn't have any concerns about the hoses. We actually got her to help with my anxiety issues in general and discovered that her presence and being able to pet her when I was trying to sleep helped me fall asleep 20-30 minutes faster than before. Your relationship with your dog might be different though.

My husband said that she's actually been staying in the bed all night now since I stopped snoring. I hadn't really thought to consider my chainsaw snoring effects on her before that. Happier family all around!

As for our 12 week old German Shepherd, she isn't allowed in the bed yet due to her lack of house training mastery. She's getting there, but she IS a chewer, so she may not get to sleep with us for awhile.
"Of all the things to be bad at, I suck at breathing."

Zzznomore

Post by Zzznomore » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm happy to report that it went very well!

I fully expected to be up all night tossing and turning. It did take a little bit longer to fall asleep. Not so much form the mask, but having to get my breathing down pat. I'm not used to relying on my nose as much for air, so for the first good while I thought I was drowning. But guess what? I didn't suffocate haha! After about an hour I started to drift off.

AHI during my some sleep study was 20. Last night it was 2,7. My APAP reported good mask fit in the on-screen sleep report, however SleepyHead did report a "major" mask leak for about 15 minutes, one time. This also may have been me adjusting in the middle of the night. I know I did it, just don't remember when. I had 4 RERA's (technically 5, but 2 were within the same minute according to the data). I do remember waking up once with my moth open, but I think I did a good job with keeping it closed for most of for night.

I didn't feel amazing this morning, but I didn't feel groggy / hungover like usual and maintained good energy most of the day. Hoping it wasn't just a placebo effect!

Bons

Post by Bons » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Your mouth being opened would account for all or part of that major leak..